• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As Texasmade mentioned, 401k, HSA or Healthcare FSA, and Daycare FSA. If maxing everything and for 2 people that is something like $50K.

Piob mentions something about another 401k type vehicle and the limit being around $50K alone but I do not know if that affects AGI.
Thank you. Didn't know if there were any other methods.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
457 which can be government (better) or non profit. Usual limits.

HSA is the very best as you don’t even pay FICA.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Scenario:

Husband and wife, both work for a government entity or nonprofit. Both at least 50, both have a 457 and a 401/3, and at least one has an HSA.

Add that up. Boom.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
457 which can be government (better) or non profit. Usual limits.

HSA is the very best as you don’t even pay FICA.

We did an HSA this year, but not through the employer, because they didn't offer one. As a result, it wasn't a pretax payroll deduction - any way to recoup the payroll tax if you're filing your own income tax deduction for it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good question but no answer here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We did an HSA this year, but not through the employer, because they didn't offer one. As a result, it wasn't a pretax payroll deduction - any way to recoup the payroll tax if you're filing your own income tax deduction for it?

I an not certain but I feel like when you file your taxes, you will get a credit for the taxes paid on HSA contributions. This feels similar to a Traditional IRA contribution but I never used one other than for rollover purposes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
But don't forget an HSA doesn't pay FICA and I've no idea how to get your FICA taxes back.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Is it just an observation bias or are more companies doing stock buy backs rather than dividends? Why do people think this is the case?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also I would imagine if a company thinks their share price will increase significantly in the future it is also preferential.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not just a recent thing. Dividends have been dying off since the 80s. Some of it seems to have been a bit of a fickle non-rational investor story...it wasn't "cool" to start paying dividends. A tech stock in the 90s that started paying dividends was like a company saying "OK, we are done innovating" so people shunned them.

Taxes are one good reason though. Dividends may be taxable at the capital gains rate...but unrealized appreciation caused by buybacks isn't taxed until the investor chooses to cash out.

It probably also simplifies management. You don't have to worry about maintaining a steady dividend, paying transfer agents to actually make sure everything gets paid, or facing repercussions if you don't keep raising them (like mutual funds that will divest if you don't). Buybacks are less official.

As to booth's comment...I believe most companies cancel their shares when they buy them back (except those they keep on hand for things like employee compensation), and even those that get moved into treasury stock are taken out of their float, so it is not like the company actually benefits from owning shares in themselves when prices rise.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with you on the maintenance of dividends, it puts the Company on a slippery slope with investors.

What I meant more by price appreciation is not so much that they invest in their own shares (they can do that via retained earnings) but more that they feel they are undervalued in the market vs. paying a dividend.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Not just a recent thing. Dividends have been dying off since the 80s. Some of it seems to have been a bit of a fickle non-rational investor story...it wasn't "cool" to start paying dividends. A tech stock in the 90s that started paying dividends was like a company saying "OK, we are done innovating" so people shunned them.

Taxes are one good reason though. Dividends may be taxable at the capital gains rate...but unrealized appreciation caused by buybacks isn't taxed until the investor chooses to cash out.

It probably also simplifies management. You don't have to worry about maintaining a steady dividend, paying transfer agents to actually make sure everything gets paid, or facing repercussions if you don't keep raising them (like mutual funds that will divest if you don't). Buybacks are less official.

As to booth's comment...I believe most companies cancel their shares when they buy them back (except those they keep on hand for things like employee compensation), and even those that get moved into treasury stock are taken out of their float, so it is not like the company actually benefits from owning shares in themselves when prices rise.
Well, that sort of goes to the esoteric distinction between "the company" and its shareholders. When a company buys back stock and cancels it (or moves it into treasury) they're reducing the number of outstanding shares and thereby theoretically increasing the value of the remaining outstanding shares. So along the lines of PB's comment, it's seen as a way of enhancing shareholder value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads