• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

What do you guys think about selling some of the apple to buy google with then using the money I was going to buy google with to diversify? I would still be tech heavy, but at least I would be split between the two giants. I am drawn to tech companies because I feel I understand them better than other sectors and I see a ton of potential, especially with google which is why I want to get in sooner than later.

Also, the mutual funds are sector funds in biotech, IT, chemicals, and defense and aerospace, so not much overlap there. I also own a bitcoin haha.

It's well and good to understand tech companies generally.

But unless that includes a particularized knowledge of how to value tech companies, that knowledge isn't especially helpful in making investment decisions. We all know that Apple and Google will do lots of cool stuff and make lots of money, but they aren't exactly start-ups that are going to stand or fall on whether their signature product gains market acceptance. The question is whether they will end up making more money or less money over time than the market currently anticipates. Companies can do very well or very poorly over time, but whether or not they are good investments at their current price depends on how well or poorly they do relative to current expectations. (I know, I've said this a couple of dozen times here already . . .)

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
King dumping to almost $19 flat. Candy Crush is not a company...just a game. Should have sold off to someone willing to buy you.

capnMURPHY2021

Reaction score
There was talk yesterday that the King IPO would "legitimize" the mobile-gaming startup scene in Europe...
lol8[1].gif
they should just stick with their quaint, boutique Nordic dev studios.

On the bright side, they'll be less likely to go on dumb shopping sprees a la Zynga.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What do you guys think about selling some of the apple to buy google with then using the money I was going to buy google with to diversify? I would still be tech heavy, but at least I would be split between the two giants. I am drawn to tech companies because I feel I understand them better than other sectors and I see a ton of potential, especially with google which is why I want to get in sooner than later.

Also, the mutual funds are sector funds in biotech, IT, chemicals, and defense and aerospace, so not much overlap there. I also own a bitcoin haha.

The backbone of my portfolio are companies that I cannot avoid doing business with, so oil/gas, banking, consumer staples, telecom. I own apple products, I do not upgrade my device every time, and I'm certain that Exxon will earn more of my money over my lifetime than Apple will. In fact I've been driving for 14 years, I've paid the oil and gas industry approx $35000-$45000 where over the same time I've bought $700-$800 worth of products from Apple.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, went out for lunch and came back. Checked my portfolio and went from solidly in the green to massively in the red for the day.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAC not blocked by Fed to raise dividends or start a stock buyback program. Hopefully BAC starts raising their quarterly dividend soon. Citigroup, HSBC, RBS, Santander, and Zions not so lucky and still blocked.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This mornings dip got bought up nicely. Did anyone take advantage?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In regard to bank stocks; why does it seem like someone is inflating a balloon in the premarket, and slowly letting it out during the day for the past week or so. Really getting annoying.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God the things I would do to Seema Mody... :inlove:

And Becky Quick for dat MILF vibe.

Tomorrow I'm going to double my position in FB. Hopefully the recent nose diving action is done.

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

On the article in particular? Faux news.

I have to assume that FB's CTO has 10b-5 plan in place. These plans schedule out sales of insiders' stock holdings well in advance as a defense against insider trading claims. Bullshit articles like that try to imply that the guy's sale of 25000 shares is probative of his views about the company's immediate prospects. In reality, it's probably (admittedly, I'm simply assuming here) something that happened automatically pursuant to a long-term plan and indicates nothing either way.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The insider sales all look like planned sales after a given period. He has done this multiple times as well as Sandberg since the beginning of 2014.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads