Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm 100% sure it's fazed..

JPM is up another 1% for me today.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Sounds like time to average down.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sounds dirty.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Now I am :embar:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

5. a bag of it

a bag of it Senior member

What do you guys think about GOOG? I wanna buy a couple shares, but my dad seems to think its going to dip below 1100 pretty soon. This would be a long hold.

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

How many shares are we talking and what % of your portfolio? GOOG is a tech company and is putting all your eggs in their basket.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

emphasis added...

8. a bag of it

2 or 3 shares which would be 15-21% of my portfolio. I am 21 with no debt or other obligations, so I am pretty risk tolerant. You are probably going to hate hearing this, but my current portfolio is roughly 50% AAPL and 50% mutual funds.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

In general terms you're too tech heavy. Especially since your fund is likely partially composed of tech.

I'd suggest against it.

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

my friend had a portfolio with 100% allocation in AAPL over the past 18 years, and was in at $4 per share. No dividends until the post jobs era, but the growth in that stock alone outperformed any fund/index. not saying its a good idea but interesting none the less.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's a rare case, and a lot of luck. No, its not a good idea. But he did well, so who is to judge? I'd never put all my money in one asset class, not to mention equity.

12. SkinnyGoomba

I see this used by people your age all the time as an excuse for bad planning. You're goal should be learning how to properly assemble a portfolio and maintain it. Having youth on your side means that you can look to long term gains, not that you have the ability to take excessive risk by skewing your portfolio entirely into one sector.

Your portfolio may be weirdly balanced until you have enough money to propriety balance it, but going forward additional positions should continue to be a step in the direction of getting it to the point where you cover a few sectors.

13. SkinnyGoomba

I'm going to pick on you a bit, because I've heard this one before as well. This is often a case of someone opening a trading acct because they want to buy one company specifically, then basically forgetting about it. Sometimes the receiver catches a hail-Mary, doesn't make it a play that you want to use normally.

No one, rational, opens a portfolio with a significant amount of money to risk and says 'fuck it, I'll bet my life's work on apple.'

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

For every AAPL there is an Enron, Worldcom, Tyco, etc... Risk what you want but it is easier than ever to diversify your portfolio.

Also it sounds like your portfolio is roughly $15K which is easy enough to get some diversification in.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

15. a bag of it

What do you guys think about selling some of the apple to buy google with then using the money I was going to buy google with to diversify? I would still be tech heavy, but at least I would be split between the two giants. I am drawn to tech companies because I feel I understand them better than other sectors and I see a ton of potential, especially with google which is why I want to get in sooner than later.

Also, the mutual funds are sector funds in biotech, IT, chemicals, and defense and aerospace, so not much overlap there. I also own a bitcoin haha.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014