• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Unfortunately, your broker may not be able to help. As a general rule, you inherit the gifter's cost basis. Not to be morbid, but was the stock gifted to you by a family member who is still alive?

Yeah, it was from my father. He uses the same broker.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold my Valero Energy and Exxon Mobil today - picked up some GM and Aetna.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a good way to get into investing with small sums of money (say <$1000)? My mom suggested mutual funds and I want to explore a few more options to read on.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could build a portfolio with $1000 purchases, just buy one stock or fund each time you have a thousand to invest.

NickInTO

Reaction score
Not sure if there are any Canadian investors in this thread, but what the hell. I'm just starting my stock portfolio. I work in business journalism, so I have a bit of an advantage on your average small-time investor (and I'm as small-time as they come) - access to a Bloomberg terminal, analyst reports, etc - plus I'm just immersed in the markets all day. Anyway, I'm starting off my portfolio with some Scotiabank and BCE. My goal is to build a low-volatility, income paying portfolio. As it grows, I will look to add a bit of risk, but I'm generally the conservative sort. Considering some AGF because of the great yield, but might wait to see if the price comes down a bit more. I'm also researching some ETFs that track the TSX - looking for a good combination of yield vs. fees - but still in the early stages.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's a good way to get into investing with small sums of money (say <$1000)? My mom suggested mutual funds and I want to explore a few more options to read on.

what are you investing for? i was asking the same question myself about a year ago (for long term / retirement), i'm pretty new to all this stuff.
my conclusion is to look at ETFs, you can diversify with low amounts of money and they have a low expense ratio compared to managed funds. you'll miss the big jumps of individual stocks but also the big losses.
i opened a vanguard account so there are no trading fees, pretty happy with it so far.
interested to hear what other people think.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not sure if there are any Canadian investors in this thread, but what the hell. I'm just starting my stock portfolio. I work in business journalism, so I have a bit of an advantage on your average small-time investor (and I'm as small-time as they come) - access to a Bloomberg terminal, analyst reports, etc - plus I'm just immersed in the markets all day. Anyway, I'm starting off my portfolio with some Scotiabank and BCE. My goal is to build a low-volatility, income paying portfolio. As it grows, I will look to add a bit of risk, but I'm generally the conservative sort. Considering some AGF because of the great yield, but might wait to see if the price comes down a bit more. I'm also researching some ETFs that track the TSX - looking for a good combination of yield vs. fees - but still in the early stages.

IMO, this seems backward, you usually start with risk and ease into more conservative investments as your portfolio grows.

In regard to AGF, it doesn't bother you that their dividend 4x earnings? or that their share price has declined ~25% since start of 2012 where the dow has risen 29% over the same period of time?

If you want to pay yourself your own principle and call it a dividend, go ahead, but you hardly need them to do it for you.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does your employer feel about your owning stock in the companies that you might be writing about?

NickInTO

Reaction score
IMO, this seems backward, you usually start with risk and ease into more conservative investments as your portfolio grows.

In regard to AGF, it doesn't bother you that their dividend 4x earnings? or that their share price has declined ~25% since start of 2012 where the dow has risen 29% over the same period of time?

If you want to pay yourself your own principle and call it a dividend, go ahead, but you hardly need them to do it for you.

I know it's backward, but again - I'm a risk-averse person. I realize I'm sacrificing returns, but it's worth it for me to not have to worry about large losses. Good points about the AGF & the dividend - I've only just begun to look at it. Analysts seem confident the dividend isn't going to be cut.

Concordia - I'm a tv producer, so I don't write about companies. Our anchors disclose conflicts, but I know CNBC doesn't allow their employees to own individual stocks. I see what you're saying, but no, there's no ban on us owning stocks. I'm sure that if I was found buying some penny stock and having our anchors/guests pump it up I'd lose my job.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have to look at where they are getting money to pay for their dividend when it is more than what the earnings are, and likely that partially explains the decline in pricing over time. Most companies are paying out of earnings and if it begins to approach 50% of earnings or more, I give it a very hard look. If its an industry which does not often see big fluctuations in earnings than I'm willing to take more risk that they will be able to maintain it than for companies in an industry with large fluctuations.

Income is one of my primary considerations when making a stock purchase, but I will never buy a stock that is declining in a good market in order to get that income. This hold-out eliminates the majority of stocks like AGF and their ilk, but its preferential to me because often times I am reinvesting my dividends so retaining and growing their value is important.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads