• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

talking about stupid sh*t in public

mano

Reaction score
Sounds like they were having fun enjoying themselves and being genuine.

Give it a try!

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i never watched buffy, but the show is very weird like that

i know a guy who worked at a radio station - one of the most intelligent and hilarious people i know - and he is absolutely insane about buffy

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sports analogy is on point. I bet those two guys had more interesting thoughts on their topic than the average group of dudes talking about sports - including the average group of dudes covering **** on ESPN (RIP good old days of Pardon the Interruption).

Every jackass who played JV tight end thinks he's qualified to be a professional offensive and defensive coordinator, head coach and chief talent evaluator.

bigboy

Reaction score
Come on. Of all the things people discuss in public, Buffy gets on your nerves? I'd lose it if I paid any significant amount of attention to the discussions I hear on a regular basis around my city. To some degree it's all relative, and give them the benefit of the doubt, you were only there for a (relatively) brief moment and can't really deduce what kind of people they are.

Demars

Reaction score
I think the most interesting thing I've ever heard while walking down the street was one guy saying to another, "Come on, take your pants off so we can go to Dairy Queen."

I had no idea what to think about that when I heard it. To this day I still laugh every time I think about the rushed tone in the guy's voice.

captoe

Reaction score
lol at the chewbacca actor comment.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Demars
I think the most interesting thing I've ever heard while walking down the street was one guy saying to another, "Come on, take your pants off so we can go to Dairy Queen." I had no idea what to think about that when I heard it. To this day I still laugh every time I think about the rushed tone in the guy's voice.
I was on a phone call when I read this and struggled not to laugh.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Chill out. Unless they are getting demonstrative and shouting it's not your business and you shouldn't pry. I, of course, reserve the right to laugh at people's inferior taste when I overhear them discussing how passionate they are about stupid tv programs, their lame families or marsupialed jobs.
Or basing their tastes on criteria like 'identifying with characters'. If that phrase wasn't already processed and digested it'd likely never be regurgitated.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
You'd be surprised at the amount of scholarly discourse written on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_studies

during my english undergrad i took a pop culture literature class that focused on vampire narratives. we watched buffy. it was kind of lame, but you're right, it definitely had a lot of scholarly theory written around it. we also watched 'hunger'. has anyone here ******* seen hunger? i love david bowie, but watching susan sarandon dyke it out with catherine deneuve is a whole other story...that's one movie conversation that would probably create some humour for people eavesdropping.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
...watching susan sarandon dyke it out with catherine deneuve is a whole other story...

This sounds like something I might be interested in.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Or basing their tastes on criteria like 'identifying with characters'. If that phrase wasn't already processed and digested it'd likely never be regurgitated.
A lot of people think TV and movies are like filmed theater and should be approached using the same mindset and patterns... I don't want to identify with a character, I want camera angles and mise-en-scène to generate affects.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We discussed Buffy in one of my Philosophy classes for probably 2 weeks. Saw a couple episodes in class and stuff. My professor was in love with joss whedon's work, which probably accounted for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads