• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking care of your shoes

dynabro

Reaction score
Just bought a nice pair of Johnston & Murphy venetians. This is my first pair of *real* shoes, they have a beautiful leather upper, and leather soles. How do I care for these shoes so they live their life to the fullest? Shoe trees? Wax? Please advise
smile.gif

Here they are:

8835832382d.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7506252/c/5585.html

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your first pair of leather shoes. I would use shoe trees after every wearing and use wax every few weeks depending on how ofter you wear them.
You will find a lot of posts on shoe care if you search.

Regards.
PS. I also bought a pair of loafers today, but mine are more for very casual sockless kinda wear for $74 shipped.
509964.jpg

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dynabro
Just bought a nice pair of Johnston & Murphy venetians. This is my first pair of *real* shoes, they have a beautiful leather upper, and leather soles. How do I care for these shoes so they live their life to the fullest? Shoe trees? Wax? Please advise
smile.gif

Here they are:

8835832382d.jpg

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7506252/c/5585.html

Make sure you don't wear the shoes more often than every 4 days.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
Congrats on your first pair of leather shoes. I would use shoe trees after every wearing and use wax every few weeks depending on how ofter you wear them.
You will find a lot of posts on shoe care if you search.

Regards.
PS. I also bought a pair of loafers today, but mine are more for very casual sockless kinda wear for $74 shipped.
509964.jpg

where di dyo uscoop them for $75 if you dont mind me asking.

Reaction score
Nick,

You mention sole guards -- I assume you mean the rubbers for the bottom of the soles. On higher-end dress shoes (testoni, brioni) do you still reccommend them? I had thought that placing rubbers trapped the moisture between the foot and the outsole and leads to rot in the cork?

I'm not sure if I'm on target on this, but I would certainly love any thoughts -- living here in NYC and with the steady rain we've been having I often think about putting them on but have always held off out of concern for the long-term life of the shoe.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Reaction score
Nick,

You mention sole guards -- I assume you mean the rubbers for the bottom of the soles. On higher-end dress shoes (testoni, brioni) do you still reccommend them? I had thought that placing rubbers trapped the moisture between the foot and the outsole and leads to rot in the cork?

I'm not sure if I'm on target on this, but I would certainly love any thoughts -- living here in NYC and with the steady rain we've been having I often think about putting them on but have always held off out of concern for the long-term life of the shoe.

Thanks for any thoughts.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use shoe trees to maintain the shape, polish to keep the leather in good condition and keep them in a rotation to keep them from taking a beating. Now, I tell you the truth that miraculously everyone else has avoided telling... your shoes are ugly and Johnston and Murphy is not a respectable brand so the claim that you bought your first pair of "real" shoes is subjective. I am not trying to be mean, just telling it like it is...

dynabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Now, I tell you the truth that miraculously everyone else has avoided telling... your shoes are ugly and Johnston and Murphy is not a respectable brand so the claim that you bought your first pair of "real" shoes is subjective. I am not trying to be mean, just telling it like it is...

Well if you guys would have helped me out in the other thread I started a few days ago, you might have been able to point me in the right direction. Either way, I like them.

Thanks for the advice gents!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Use shoe trees to maintain the shape,

I recently bought some cedar shoe trees but I have no idea how they are supposed to fit, i.e. if they are too small, too large or too wide for my shoes.

Is there a "universal shoe tree" for size 8.5D that I can use for any shoe in my size? Or do you need to get a special shoetree for a captoe, which is different than a loafer, etc, etc...?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BringingSuitsBack
Nick,

You mention sole guards -- I assume you mean the rubbers for the bottom of the soles. On higher-end dress shoes (testoni, brioni) do you still recommend them? I had thought that placing rubbers trapped the moisture between the foot and the outsole and leads to rot in the cork?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have read about this very concern here but I don't subscribe to it. Here's why:

First of all the high-end manufacturers use high quality leather on their soles. Generally speaking higher grade soling leather has a much tighter gain making it less porous. Therefore it is nearly impossible for moisture (I'm assuming you mean perspiration) to escape from the inside of your shoe all the way through the bottom of your sole.

Regarding your concern of rotting the foot-bed:

In most cases the foot-bed is made of a mixture of granular cork and rubber cement weather it be applied hot or room temp. The rubber cement does NOT absorb moisture. Cork needs to be saturated for a long period of time before it even begins to absorb. In addition to protecting your soles from wearing out and, better traction, sole guards will prevent water (from heavy rains and weather elements) from bleeding through the bottom of the soles getting trapped between the sole and foot-bed. That can cause the sole to weaken from the inside. The moisture inside your shoe caused by perspiration is minimal and will be absorbed with the use of cedar trees.

Using sole guards, cedar trees, waterproof and, polish will take care of all your concerns and prolong the life of your shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads