• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors and other sartorial treasures in Napoli - from Men's EX

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Some very nice photos on you blog and the RAF fresco coat looks great. What buttons are you planning to change to?

Thanks, I was thinking of regular corno buffalo but still haven't made up my mind yet.

Originally Posted by M. Alden
As I understand it, a nephew of the Mola's, a Mr. Marco Cerato is continuing their work.
n

If I am not mistaken, it's their nephew Pasquelle, who is currently in charge of the operation.

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Wow. Nice write up.

Would love to hear more about:

Antonio Petrosino

Mola

Tramontano - and why they are closing (they make briefcases to my understanding, if this is the same company)

Alfuredo Rifugio's work

Thank you!

Thanks.

Tramontano is a button supplier with 70 years' history; the article doesn't explain why they are closing their business but it's a real shame...

As for Antonio & Mola, see my comments above.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Has anyone in the US bought the Men's Ex digital edition? I can't find it on itunes (either the US or Japanese stores). On the Men's Ex website I see links to Magastore, Zinio, and Fujisan. None of those sites have English versions. Just wondering if anyone has bought from them and could briefly explain the process.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty asesome thread BD - you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters here!

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andreyb2
butbut.gif

butbut.gif
butbut.gif

butbut.gif
butbut.gif
butbut.gif

Banis, is it you who placed huge orders in all these ateliers?!

Andrey

bigstar[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

I am quite surprised to see that there is a large Russian clientele for bespoke services in Napoli. When visiting tailors among other stupid quiestions I asked whether they had any Russian clients (and by Russians I meant all those who speak Russian, not those who are from Russia only). Everyone told that they had one-two clients in the past and those did not become repeated clients.

I know that Attolini is quite popular amongst Russians. Rubinacci definetely has Russians. But I can't even guess that there could be many Russians vosoting Napoli for tailoring.

blackdice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Has anyone in the US bought the Men's Ex digital edition? I can't find it on itunes (either the US or Japanese stores). On the Men's Ex website I see links to Magastore, Zinio, and Fujisan. None of those sites have English versions. Just wondering if anyone has bought from them and could briefly explain the process.

Here is the link to the digital edition of Men's Ex on Fujisan.co.jp
http://www.fujisan.co.jp/magazine/12...b/list1/?ncp=1

Although you have to register your e-mail address, etc. for the first purchase, I believe you can purchase every digital issue from here, provided that you can manage the first registration process in Japanese.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22

I have the Zinio Iphone app and Men's Ex digital edition is available for purchase. There is no English version of Men's Ex, only Japanese.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
Here is the link to the digital edition of Men's Ex on Fujisan.co.jp
http://www.fujisan.co.jp/magazine/12...b/list1/?ncp=1

Although you have to register your e-mail address, etc. for the first purchase, I believe you can purchase every digital issue from here, provided that you can manage the first registration process in Japanese.

Originally Posted by John Doe
I have the Zinio Iphone app and Men's Ex digital edition is available for purchase. There is no English version of Men's Ex, only Japanese.

Many thanks guys. I couldn't figure out the fujisan website so I just downloaded the Zinio app. What a great publication, really puts every other men's mag to shame.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackdice
On a side note, Men's EX digital edition is now available from the Japanese iTunes store - so those who are paying premium on the paper edition may wish to consider it.
Blackdice, thanks for this bit of information. I am enjoying your blog, too.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Alden
Both of the Mola bothers, Antonio and Gennaro, who learned their trade from the great Neapolitan tailor, Antonio Schiraldi, have passed away. At one time they were pretty much considered to be the best trouser makers in Naples and their work was highly sought after by Japanese visitors.

The cut of their trousers was very different from the jeans like cut normally seen these days in Naples. It was about as close to trouser perfection as I have seen. A few years ago I wrote that the three most important things in a good trouser were "line, line and line." I had the image of Gennaro Mola's trouser in mind. Sadly, I found them too late and as far as I can tell, no one has taken up their cutting style.

As I understand it, a nephew of the Mola's, a Mr. Marco Cerato is continuing their work.

Cheers

Michael Alden

Marco's mum is a Mola, and Marco now run his operations with his dad and brother

brescd01

Reaction score
"known as a traditional camiceria, they are now expanding into the suit tailoring business with a strong focus on unstructured 'shirt jackets'"

Can you show pictures of these garments?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads