• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailor in the GTA

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Okay guys, I will post better pics when I get to my parent's house so I can use our proper camera but I figured I have been delinquent enough and today is the first day I've had in a bit to actually post. I know the pics suck but I will update the pics later this week or on the weekend.

I chose a french cuff white shirt with blue pinstripes, with a semi-spread collar. There are about 9 collar choices to choose from and Mike can elaborate on those sort of technical details.

So...the shirt has been washed 3 times and it looks great (the updated pics will show this, I promise). There has been no real shrinkage and the fabric still looks like it did when I got the shirt. The colour is still vibrant and the fabric still feels soft. The shirt is Egyptian cotton, 80 double ply from the Prestige collection. I also found, and you can't tell this in the pics, that the fabric is pretty resistant to wrinkling. I wore the shirt all day and it held up really nicely-way less wrinkles than my work mates. I sit at a desk all day and by the end of the day I find that my shirt is usually pretty wrinkled but my shirt looked good today.

As for fit, I lost about 5-7 pounds from the time I was measured to today so that is reflected in the fit but that certainly is not Mike's fault. I got the classic fit and taking into account the lost weight, I think the fit is good. The sleeve length is good and the shoulders and chest feel right. The neck size is good and I got the neck to be little lose as I hate a neck that is too tight. The updated pics will better show the fit. I think I would get the more tailored option next time but since this was a shirt for business, I wanted something fairly conservative. By the way, I was measured by Mike in his showroom and he took 9 measurements and we discussed what the shirt would be worn for and Mike made some suggestions which were helpful but he was never pushy. I think the updated pics will show the fit much better and I have received compliments each time I have worn the shirt.

I like the details that make Mike's shirts custom. I love the grey MOP buttons and the contrast lining (light blue) on the inside of the french cuffs. The pinstripes also match up on the shoulder which is something I don't have on my other shirts (including quite a few a shirts from Harry Rosen). I've said this before but it is worth mentioning again, Mike is great to deal with and I think he would go the extra-mile to make sure a customer is satisfied with their purchase. I am satisfied with the shirt and would go back to get another. A couple of the guys from work are planning on getting shirts made as well, based on what they have seen of my shirt.

As for complaints or regrets, I would get a slightly more tailored fit but I think that is just because I've lost a couple of pounds recently! I also wish there were check fabrics to pick from. Other than that, I think Mike's shirts are good value and certainly worth a visit or try, even compared to some of the more expensive options in Toronto. I'll update the pics and add some information later this week or on the weekend.

GetAttachment.jpg

detail.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

side.jpg

wetnose

Reaction score
Pics look kinda washed out and grey. Can you take another set of pictures in daylight? I like the fit overall but perhaps the sleeves are a tad too long and maybe a bigger collar would be better?

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I will take better pics. It is a combination of poor skills, lighting and a bad camera. As for the collar, I think the collar is fine. I was looking up when the pics were taken so maybe that distorted the fit. I like the sleeve length as well but my posing was not great. Again, I will take better pics.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
perhaps the sleeves are a tad too long

+1

My feedback:
-sleeves look long
-chest looks to be a bit big

Looks like your going for a normal fit at the waist, so that looks OK.

mdavie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
+1 My feedback: -sleeves look long -chest looks to be a bit big Looks like your going for a normal fit at the waist, so that looks OK.
I agree on the sleeves could be a touch shorter based on this set of pictures. As for the chest, it is always the customers preference on how they would like it fitted. Some like a slim cut and tight on the chest, some like a classic clean look while I have a large group who want extra room and are looking for a comfortable shirt. As for everyone's personal preferences I'm always happy to accommodate individual needs and requests. And as I'm local to Toronto it's easy on your first order to make any changes you would like done to ensure you are happy with the way your shirt looks and feels. ---------------------------------------- www.jamesvii.com

outkast2

Reaction score
I got a chance to visit JamesVII and Mike last weekend, and I have to say that it was a marvelous experience.

As a man with unusual measurements(15 neck, 37 sleeves), I was compelled to give them a try. Not only were the materials and designs far above my expectations, the service and location were both significantly better than my expectations.

Of course, the proof is in the shirt, which I will have in less than 3 weeks. This, for me, is quite re-assuring as I have wasted a lot of time and money trying to order from websites like Jantzen with absolutely no success.

I strongly encourage anybody who can make it to Toronto to give Mike a try, as I couldn't have invisioned better service. I was very excited about the materials, and will be ordering more shirts once I complete my final fitting.

-Dennis

mdavie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to host an event next Tuesday at the showroom for all Toronto SF'ers if you'd like to come by for a drink, check out who's behind all the posts for TO and see for yourself some of the shirts.

Cheers,

Mike

More info http://www.jamesvii.com/sfmeetup.php

sjg22

Reaction score
I'm having alterations on a suit done at Raffa Custom Tailors on Keewatin (just north of Yonge and Eglington). They're fairly minor alterations, but I'll let you know how they go (not having a tailor you can trust is always worrisome; hopefully Raffa will be my guy).

Also, while I was waiting in his small but very nice shop, I paged through a couple of his books of cloth. He told me he does fully custom suits with Dormieul and Zegna cloth from around $1500 (and from other Italian milled cloth that felt and looked to be very nice quality starting from $1200). I was asking him some questions as to the degree to which these suits are "custom" and he pulled out an array of suits at completely different stages of creation. The suits were definitely fully canvassed. He claims to cut individual patterns for each customer, and it would, at least to my limited experience, appear to be a highly custom job. I'm debating whether to take the plunge and have him make me a suit (he says that it takes several months and a number of fittings; as it should, really). I was wondering whether anyone may have purchased a suit from Raffa before and if they could either post their experiences, or PM me. Otherwise, if I do decide to go for it, I'll try and post my thoughts throughout the process.

memmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by outkast2
I got a chance to visit JamesVII and Mike last weekend, and I have to say that it was a marvelous experience. As a man with unusual measurements(15 neck, 37 sleeves), I was compelled to give them a try. Not only were the materials and designs far above my expectations, the service and location were both significantly better than my expectations. Of course, the proof is in the shirt, which I will have in less than 3 weeks. This, for me, is quite re-assuring as I have wasted a lot of time and money trying to order from websites like Jantzen with absolutely no success. I strongly encourage anybody who can make it to Toronto to give Mike a try, as I couldn't have invisioned better service. I was very excited about the materials, and will be ordering more shirts once I complete my final fitting. -Dennis
+1 I had read some positive reviews here on Styleforum about JamesVII so I emailed Mike and was able setup an appointment for this afternoon at his Showroom on Richmond St. I brought along my wife and we had a wonderful time having a look at his shirts and choosing fabrics and options. He had a ton to choose from and the quality seemed to be excellent. Great experience overall. I ordered a bunch of shirts and will post back again with pics after they arrive.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
I'll be moving to the St. Lawrence Market area next year.

Any good tailors that do alterations in the neighbourhood? I know of Bulloch Tailors. Do they do alterations or only custom-made suits?

Looch

Reaction score
Magic Tailor across the st from the Eaton Centre on Yonge. He's awesome and well-priced.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Franky In T.O.
I'll be moving to the St. Lawrence Market area next year.

Any good tailors that do alterations in the neighbourhood? I know of Bulloch Tailors. Do they do alterations or only custom-made suits?

Bulloch does custom suits only. But they do alterations on things they've made.

Magic Tailor is great for everything else. I've had jackets shortened, pants narrowed etc. and the work was impeccable. Mehmet, the owner, also has great prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads