• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweet Deep-Fried Jesus Am I Excited For Halo 3

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played TF competitively.

I remember when CS came out.. and they had the two GoldenEye maps and everyone was going all gay over 'em; I didn't play it for years. Never got into it, didn't move fast enough.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I played TF competitively.

I remember when CS came out.. and they had the two GoldenEye maps and everyone was going all gay over 'em; I didn't play it for years. Never got into it, didn't move fast enough.

I remember Facility. Fun pub map. Yeah, I love CS.

Man, I really wish I had a PC and broadband internet.
frown.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand what makes people love Halo so much. It's just... incredibly, perfectly generic and conventional. My ex thinks it's the best game ever. It's why we broke up.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I hate playing fps on a PC. It's completely awkward to me. Give me a good PC fps game and I'll never touch a console.

+1

Originally Posted by Saucemaster
+a gajillion.
Does the mouse shake like a machine gun when you fire? Does it feel sort of like a gun in your hand? Does it give you tactile feedback when you pwn some poor ******'s head? No. That's why!

Originally Posted by Arethusa
I really don't understand what makes people love Halo so much. It's just... incredibly, perfectly generic and conventional. My ex thinks it's the best game ever. It's why we broke up.
for the
Halo is fun because it is so smooth. The matchmaking is smooth. It's plug-and-play. The maps are perfectly balanced. It's not super-technical and it's not super-twitchy. In CS, it's no fun because people are so much better than you you die instantly. In Unreal it's annoying because it's like throwing a rubber bouncy-ball in a squash room - everybody gets hit and it's out of control.

Halo(tries) to match you with people of a level. You can play it on your couch, with a friend, and drink a beer. It doesn't require you to map out the level with a protractor and a tape measure. And there are so many AWESOME MOMENTS in Halo. Running over a Banshee with your Warthog in mid-air. Jacking the Wraith and getting a Killamanjaro. Sniping someone out of a power-sliding 'hog turret. Assassinating 4 dudes with the flag and running across blood gulch for the score. Tank-battles. 6-way tank/aerial/jeep battles.

You can't tell me it's generic, no way. It's just a refinement of all the best elements of shooters.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
+1Halo is fun because it is so smooth. The matchmaking is smooth. It's plug-and-play. The maps are perfectly balanced. It's not super-technical and it's not super-twitchy. In CS, it's no fun because people are so much better than you you die instantly. In Unreal it's annoying because it's like throwing a rubber bouncy-ball in a squash room - everybody gets hit and it's out of control. Halo(tries) to match you with people of a level. You can play it on your couch, with a friend, and drink a beer. It doesn't require you to map out the level with a protractor and a tape measure. And there are so many AWESOME MOMENTS in Halo. Running over a Banshee with your Warthog in mid-air. Jacking the Wraith and getting a Killamanjaro. Sniping someone out of a power-sliding 'hog turret. Assassinating 4 dudes with the flag and running across blood gulch for the score. Tank-battles. 6-way tank/aerial/jeep battles. You can't tell me it's generic, no way. It's just a refinement of all the best elements of shooters.
I'm the wrong guy to argue with over UT and CS. I hate those too. UT is generic and bland (moreso than Halo, remarkably), and CS has just been a ******, unbalanced, unrealistic game since it started (and I played beta 1 in middle school). That doesn't change my opinion of Halo. Halo has: (1) a guy in an armored suit, (2) an assault rifle so inaccurate and impotent that functions like a glorified melee weapon, (3) aliens (that speak English), (4) a big shotgun (that is also a glorified melee weapon), (5) a pistol that is used for sniping and is the best weapon in the game, and (6) combat that effectively is nothing more than running into places and shooting things until they're dead. Yeah, that's real evolved. I guess it had streamlined gameplay. It is more interesting than UT2k345678. The experience is "smooth" if that's a really a good thing. So is a Michael Bay movie. It was still boring and simple and entirely devoid of depth, substance, or originality. Coming from the people who made, among other things, Marathon, that was pretty ridiculous. Admittedly, most games bore me to death, but there just wasn't anything memorable about Halo. Hell, Far Cry was pretty ******* stupid and it had vastly better gameplay (or at least combat) than either Halo or HL2.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Hell, Far Cry was pretty ******* stupid and it had vastly better gameplay (or at least combat) than either Halo or HL2.

Agreed. Plus, Far Cry has awesome water!

Though, IMO - FPS have all been downhill since Doom2/Ultimate Doom. I hate jumping.

Really looking forward to Bioshock though... 

calvin1663

Reaction score
I must say, I'm not that thrilled with halo on PC (technically, it's a mac for me). One of the things that Halo was so revolutionary in was its control system and the very logical and easy to pick up layout on the xbox controller, which doesn't translate very well to the computer. that being said, halo (halo 2 is more so this way) is a helluva good time with friends on an xbox or splitscreen or something...the gameplay is fluid, and even if you're not that good you can end up getting lucky by throwing grenades or by meleeing people...it's a pretty simple game to be alright at, which makes it very accessible...

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I will sell my girlfriend to get an X360 and this...

Do you have a photo?

Just kidding
smile.gif

I haven't played video games for years now, gave up on the pc stuff ages ago - it was a a chore upgrading this and that just to get the fps up.

Kopite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I hate playing fps on a PC. It's completely awkward to me. Give me a good PC fps game and I'll never touch a console.

I find it REALLY hard to aim with a controller, I'm pretty sure If I played myself PC vs Console, PC would win by a mile.

To me its like strategy games and fps are for the PC, and driving and sports games do it on the console.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Does the mouse shake like a machine gun when you fire? Does it feel sort of like a gun in your hand? Does it give you tactile feedback when you pwn some poor ******'s head? No. That's why!
Are you serious? You like console FPS play--where you have VASTLY less fine control over you character and your aim--because the controller buzzes in your hand? Really? Just buy a vibrator, then play a real FPS on the PC. I promise that both experiences will be superior to the console alternative.
wink.gif

migo

Reaction score
I know a lot of peeps that are into computers, and a lot of peeps that are into consoles...honestly, you either love it or you hate it. That said, I am pretty fkin excited for Halo 3 right now. Who wants to lend me an x360?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Varsity? Division A?

You are such a stud. You must be a GOD at the Dungeons and Dragons conventions.

No, I played varsity football and JV track though. I've never played D&D.

No matter how much of a nerd I am, ******** will always be bigger than yours. Deal with it and move on.

Video games > you, for now and all of eternity.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Are you serious? You like console FPS play--where you have VASTLY less fine control over you character and your aim--because the controller buzzes in your hand? Really?

Just buy a vibrator, then play a real FPS on the PC. I promise that both experiences will be superior to the console alternative.
wink.gif

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. When console owners got Halo, I though, "Wow, this is like when I first played Unreal, Quake, and Half-life, 3 years ago".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads