• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's the same jacket in the aloah/jeans fit.

A black silk knit tie is really all you need prove me wrong (ok two, wide point tip and narrow flat)

it looks like it . the OG calvin klein vibes are strong .

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sipang do you remember this purple Patrik Ervell suit? I think on the runway shots it was a woman wearing the suit but it was a menswear suit and it looked great.

Probably around FW 09 or something like that

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sipang do you remember this purple Patrik Ervell suit? I think on the runway shots it was a woman wearing the suit but it was a menswear suit and it looked great.

Probably around FW 09 or something like that

Found it

model-walks-the-runway-at-the-patrik-ervell-fall-2009-menswear-show-picture-id85011978

model-walks-the-runway-at-the-patrik-ervell-fall-2009-menswear-show-picture-id85011924

model-walks-the-runway-at-the-patrik-ervell-fall-2009-menswear-show-picture-id85012047

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha you know I was just thinking about it an hour ago? I guess that when it actually started.

It was a speckled donegal tweed I think

edit: yep

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Ervell run from 2008 to 2010 was so good, he lost me after that.

I read the recent updates in the Ervell thread the other day, first time in years I checked in there. And now @clee1982 talking about futuristic tailoring got me thinking about what Ervell and his weird mix of rustic and technological could've evolved into had he continued in that direction.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Ervell run from 2008 to 2010 was so good, he lost me after that.

I read the recent updates in the Ervell thread the other day, first time in years I checked in there. And now @clee1982 talking about futuristic tailoring got me thinking about what Ervell and his weird mix of rustic and technological could've evolved into had he continued in that direction.

Yeah it was great. Agree, i didn't really vibe with what he did later on

I had a few of the rust and the speckled mint green pieces that were so nice.

Also this shawl collar tuxedo jacket. Miss that piece a lot.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your main issue now is going to be trying to find ones with high armholes. I bought a very nice herringbone tweed off eBay and have t turns out I can fit two of my arms in the armholes for each sleeve

I was just thinking that to myself. Definitely the hardest part, next to arm length (for me).

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking that to myself. Definitely the hardest part, next to arm length (for me).

Yeah. At least arm length is typically included in the description. I feel like arm hole size is nearly impossible to guess unless you know the maker.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. At least arm length is typically included in the description. I feel like arm hole size is nearly impossible to guess unless you know the maker.

So there are undoubtedly aspects of the armhole/armscye that you can't guess, but if you have the pit to cuff and the shoulder to cuff measurements, you can determine how high or low the armhole extends.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It do be like that. So many of the vintage Harris Tweed jackets from the 80's and 90s were cut like garbage bags in the armhole.

If you have a responsive seller, try asking for a bicep measurement. If the sleeve has a reasonable diameter, then the armhole is probably going to be decent. And that's an easy and straightforward measurement to take.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So there are undoubtedly aspects of the armhole/armscye that you can't guess, but if you have the pit to cuff and the shoulder to cuff measurements, you can determine how high or low the armhole extends.

Sure but I don’t see many (any?) eBay listings with those measurements included. Do you ask the seller for that specifically?

Note - I’ve bought one thing off eBay in my life so I’m a total rookie at it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure but I don’t see many (any?) eBay listings with those measurements included. Do you ask the seller for that specifically?

Note - I’ve bought one thing off eBay in my life so I’m a total rookie at it.

I do ask for measurements, if I'm relatively serious about it. Otherwise I'm seeing one or the other already listed, but not both.

I like the advice above. I think I'll try it.

eddiemczee

Reaction score
IDK I'm kind of feeling that green windowpane sportcoat. Cool match with the silk knit tie.

Funny enough, we offered a very similar fabric through Southwick (R.I.P.) and it was purchased by @eddiemczee .

Eddie went on to post like a hundred excellent fit pics with that coat. I had customers emailing me left and right to get something like it, but I was never able to source anything close enough.

Little did I know that I just needed a time machine to Jack Nicholson's tailor in the early 80s or so. I'm into it!

I don't have much of what I bought during that time period (2013? 2014?), but I still have that jacket! I last wore it when I interviewed Sid Mashburn for an article and he said he loved the fabric, too. Holds up great!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads