• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Supplements

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
NOW Adam or TrueProtein's 3-a-day. www.bulknutrition.com or trueprotein.com. Miles and miles better than GNC's multis, cheaper too.

What makes these better?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
more + better quality ingredients, not to mention far far better prices. long story short, if you shop at GNC for anything, you're a fool. gold card or not.

edit: take the fish oil for example. GNC fish oil gives you **** nasty fish burps which are a good indicator of rancidity and/or low quality. carlsons is available at a better price, is certified contaminant free, proven to use better ingredients and no fish burps.

GNC pushes cheap **** at high prices and makes you think you're getting deals with the gold card. gnc sucks, as do most other brick-and-mortar supplement places. online is a far better option.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OMG NO. I'm not trying to be King Supplement over here but bulknutrition.com = 1fast400.com and it SUCKS.

Only talking about BN/1fast400 branded supps. Yes they are cheap because they are worthless.

JG000

Reaction score
Currently taking Daily Krill oil Multi-vitamin Every other day (divided into two subsets) Cinnamon Turmeric/ Ginger Acai PowerGrape Cayenne Pepper Cat's Claw Lecithin L-acetyl Carinite Ashwagandha (Sensoril) Black, White, Green tea complex and on top of those - occasionally Melatonin, Flax Oil, and Maca
Originally Posted by Willie5566
What kind of multi's are you all taking. I have taken the GNC multi's for years.
This is the multi I take: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NW710/ItemDetail Give it a look. It's pretty hardcore

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My regimen (not regiment) is:

10 grams spirulina
5-7 grams chlorella

at night:

magnesium citrate and zinc

Instead of whey I eat eggs, drink whole milk, and eat Snickers Marathon bars as pothead snacks. Cottage cheese has way more BCAAs than that powder crap at GNC and costs are fraction of the price.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allmax ZMA (before bed), Glutamine (Post), Creatine (Post) and Beta Alanine (Pre).
Dymatize Whey Protein Isolate (Post).
Superpump (Pre).
Greens supplement and fiber (Morning)

Gonna drop Beta Alanine, Glutamine and maybe ZMA once I am done the current container, doesn't feel like it does anything..

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im always astounded by all the **** people take. If you're that fanatical about your health and physique, why not just get on the weekly test injection and see 100x the results for probably less money?

virus646

Reaction score
Here's mine! Sticking to what really work and have been back up by studies.

Multi: NowADAM for Jarude's reasons (thanks IA).
Fish oil: I like Allmax Nutrition products so I use their (free of metals and use good fish sources)
Green tea extract: Cheap and strong studies to back it up, not expecting miracles but it's not bullshit.
Creatine: Pure german monohydrate by Allmax, 5mg daily, so cheap and one of the few supp that actually work.
Whey: Once a day following or preceding a workout to help out overall daily nutriments. Either ON or recently Allmax, check ingrediants!
Caffeine: either from a pill or from a good black coffee.

sharwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JG000
Currently taking Daily Krill oil Multi-vitamin Every other day (divided into two subsets) Cinnamon Turmeric/ Ginger Acai PowerGrape Cayenne Pepper Cat's Claw Lecithin L-acetyl Carinite Ashwagandha (Sensoril) Black, White, Green tea complex and on top of those - occasionally Melatonin, Flax Oil, and Maca This is the multi I take: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NW710/ItemDetail Give it a look. It's pretty hardcore
Just out of curiosity, what are each of these supposed to do for you? edit: There are a number of claimed benefits for each of these. I'm just curious what benefit you are aiming to get out of each of them.

Knisse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharwood
Just out of curiosity, what are each of these supposed to do for you?

edit: There are a number of claimed benefits for each of these. I'm just curious what benefit you are aiming to get out of each of them.

Placebo never fails

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get half of those via my spice cabinet.
confused.gif

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6+ CostCo fish oil pills
7,500 IU Vitamin D

AllMax Isoflex/Coconut Milk/Cocoa shake/Creatine PWO shake

Been thinking about adding in Magnesium.

Also trying to figure out how to replicate Isoflex at Trueprotein, but the insulin sensitizers seem to be lacking.

sharwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MartinHansen
Placebo never fails
Indeed. I'm more just curious to learn about the stuff. People spend a lot of money on supplements. Sometimes, data supports the use, and sometimes data says no better than placebo. If I get bored this week at some point, I'll play around on pubmed and see if I can find anything on some of these. I still want to know the intended purpose for each of them. It's surprising how often somebody is taking a pill simply because "so and so recommended it"....without really having a reason in the first place. I'm not accusing anybody of anything or trying to dump on anybody. I'm simply trying to learn.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharwood
Indeed.

I'm more just curious to learn about the stuff. People spend a lot of money on supplements. Sometimes, data supports the use, and sometimes data says no better than placebo. If I get bored this week at some point, I'll play around on pubmed and see if I can find anything on some of these.

I still want to know the intended purpose for each of them. It's surprising how often somebody is taking a pill simply because "so and so recommended it"....without really having a reason in the first place.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything or trying to dump on anybody. I'm simply trying to learn.

Fish Oil - data is still a bit soft depending on what benefit you are looking for - but for anti-inflammation effects. Robb Wolf recommends it as do many others.

Vit D - another rec from other people. Seems to help my mood mostly. Plus Doc said I had low levels.

Protein powder - workout recovery, might be bullshit.

I don't take a multivitamin because of research showing decreased lifespans - those anti-oxidants are reducing your immune response which depends on free radicals.

Here is a nice graphic of different supplements/benefits as tied to their evidence:
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads