Supplements

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Willie5566, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

NOW Adam or TrueProtein's 3-a-day. www.bulknutrition.com or trueprotein.com. Miles and miles better than GNC's multis, cheaper too.

What makes these better?

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

more + better quality ingredients, not to mention far far better prices. long story short, if you shop at GNC for anything, you're a fool. gold card or not.

edit: take the fish oil for example. GNC fish oil gives you shit nasty fish burps which are a good indicator of rancidity and/or low quality. carlsons is available at a better price, is certified contaminant free, proven to use better ingredients and no fish burps.

GNC pushes cheap shit at high prices and makes you think you're getting deals with the gold card. gnc sucks, as do most other brick-and-mortar supplement places. online is a far better option.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

OMG NO. I'm not trying to be King Supplement over here but bulknutrition.com = 1fast400.com and it SUCKS.

Only talking about BN/1fast400 branded supps. Yes they are cheap because they are worthless.

4. JG000

JG000 Senior member

Currently taking Daily Krill oil Multi-vitamin Every other day (divided into two subsets) Cinnamon Turmeric/ Ginger Acai PowerGrape Cayenne Pepper Cat's Claw Lecithin L-acetyl Carinite Ashwagandha (Sensoril) Black, White, Green tea complex and on top of those - occasionally Melatonin, Flax Oil, and Maca
    What kind of multi's are you all taking. I have taken the GNC multi's for years.
    This is the multi I take: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NW710/ItemDetail Give it a look. It's pretty hardcore

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

My regimen (not regiment) is:

10 grams spirulina
    5-7 grams chlorella

at night:

magnesium citrate and zinc

Instead of whey I eat eggs, drink whole milk, and eat Snickers Marathon bars as pothead snacks. Cottage cheese has way more BCAAs than that powder crap at GNC and costs are fraction of the price.

6. sonick

sonick Senior member

Allmax ZMA (before bed), Glutamine (Post), Creatine (Post) and Beta Alanine (Pre).
    Dymatize Whey Protein Isolate (Post).
    Superpump (Pre).
    Greens supplement and fiber (Morning)

Gonna drop Beta Alanine, Glutamine and maybe ZMA once I am done the current container, doesn't feel like it does anything..

7. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Im always astounded by all the shit people take. If you're that fanatical about your health and physique, why not just get on the weekly test injection and see 100x the results for probably less money?

8. jimmyjames

jimmyjames New Member

9. virus646

virus646 Senior member

Here's mine! Sticking to what really work and have been back up by studies.

Multi: NowADAM for Jarude's reasons (thanks IA).
    Fish oil: I like Allmax Nutrition products so I use their (free of metals and use good fish sources)
    Green tea extract: Cheap and strong studies to back it up, not expecting miracles but it's not bullshit.
    Creatine: Pure german monohydrate by Allmax, 5mg daily, so cheap and one of the few supp that actually work.
    Whey: Once a day following or preceding a workout to help out overall daily nutriments. Either ON or recently Allmax, check ingrediants!
    Caffeine: either from a pill or from a good black coffee.

10. sharwood

sharwood Senior member

Currently taking Daily Krill oil Multi-vitamin Every other day (divided into two subsets) Cinnamon Turmeric/ Ginger Acai PowerGrape Cayenne Pepper Cat's Claw Lecithin L-acetyl Carinite Ashwagandha (Sensoril) Black, White, Green tea complex and on top of those - occasionally Melatonin, Flax Oil, and Maca This is the multi I take: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NW710/ItemDetail Give it a look. It's pretty hardcore
    Just out of curiosity, what are each of these supposed to do for you? edit: There are a number of claimed benefits for each of these. I'm just curious what benefit you are aiming to get out of each of them.

11. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Just out of curiosity, what are each of these supposed to do for you?

edit: There are a number of claimed benefits for each of these. I'm just curious what benefit you are aiming to get out of each of them.

Placebo never fails

12. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

I get half of those via my spice cabinet. [​IMG]

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

6+ CostCo fish oil pills
    7,500 IU Vitamin D

AllMax Isoflex/Coconut Milk/Cocoa shake/Creatine PWO shake

Been thinking about adding in Magnesium.

Also trying to figure out how to replicate Isoflex at Trueprotein, but the insulin sensitizers seem to be lacking.

14. sharwood

sharwood Senior member

Placebo never fails
    Indeed. I'm more just curious to learn about the stuff. People spend a lot of money on supplements. Sometimes, data supports the use, and sometimes data says no better than placebo. If I get bored this week at some point, I'll play around on pubmed and see if I can find anything on some of these. I still want to know the intended purpose for each of them. It's surprising how often somebody is taking a pill simply because "so and so recommended it"....without really having a reason in the first place. I'm not accusing anybody of anything or trying to dump on anybody. I'm simply trying to learn.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Indeed.

I'm more just curious to learn about the stuff. People spend a lot of money on supplements. Sometimes, data supports the use, and sometimes data says no better than placebo. If I get bored this week at some point, I'll play around on pubmed and see if I can find anything on some of these.

I still want to know the intended purpose for each of them. It's surprising how often somebody is taking a pill simply because "so and so recommended it"....without really having a reason in the first place.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything or trying to dump on anybody. I'm simply trying to learn.

Fish Oil - data is still a bit soft depending on what benefit you are looking for - but for anti-inflammation effects. Robb Wolf recommends it as do many others.

Vit D - another rec from other people. Seems to help my mood mostly. Plus Doc said I had low levels.

Protein powder - workout recovery, might be bullshit.

I don't take a multivitamin because of research showing decreased lifespans - those anti-oxidants are reducing your immune response which depends on free radicals.

Here is a nice graphic of different supplements/benefits as tied to their evidence:
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/