1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Supplements

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Willie5566, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

May be slightly OT, but is anyone else pissed at the FDA for banning piracetam? I was just getting into the groove w/ it and they pulled it, no doubt realizing its potential marketability. Kunts.

Got deets on piracetam?

2. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

3. speedy4500

speedy4500 Senior member

A proper diet should be it and most rec a multivitamin.

+1

I was once told by a very wise and experienced man, "If you have to take supplements, your diet sucks. You should be getting everything you need from real food." For the 99.99999% of us that aren't elite athletes, supplements really are unnecessary. Unless your training and nutrition are already as good as possible, spending hundreds of dollars to get minuscule benefits from supplements is silly.

4. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I can eat only so much. I need my protein shakes.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

6. caxt

caxt Well-Known Member

PreWO: Scoop of ON Whey Gold and Animal Pak Multi

Need to get some fish oil, waxy maize, and creatine.

7. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

8. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

The posts seem to be oriented to general health which is fine, but I am assuming you are interested in supplements that will enhance muscle growth. The only one that has been shown to be worthwhile is creatine. Other pre-workout products provide energy but you can get that from coffee or a Red Bull. Look into products by BSN, the #1 supplement maker on bodybuilding sites. Specifically NO Explode (pre) and Cell Mass (post). You can add a good whey protein, but, honestly, most people who eat a balanced diet get enough protein from their normal diet. Also, if you are looking to put on muscle you must work out hard, eat a lot (in small, frequent meals) and get plenty of rest, because the rest period is where the growth takes place. Finally, if you are skinny, you really need to eat more; if you are overweight, do some cardio. If you can put on a solid 5-10 pounds of muscle in a year, you're doing well.

Tis the season I suppose. Seeing a lot of posts on workout info. I am interested in finding out what supplements people are using and more importantly which ones you are experiencing good results with.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I am still pissed that they banned ephedra.

You can still readily buy ephedrine (not ephedra) quite easily, it just can't be marketed as a weight loss supp.

10. APK

APK Senior member

I've tinkered with quite a bit.

Right now, it's pared down to:

- Fish Oil
    - BCAA
    - Creatine
    - Digestive Enzyme

The fish oil gets me a lot of the good fats I miss out on since most fish is too pricey for me to regularly eat. The BCAA powder cuts down on the amount of protein I need to consume, which makes 200+ g/day of protein doable. Creatine is inexpensive and effective enough to keep around.

The digestive enzymes are probably the top supplement for me on a personal level. I've always been prone to bloating and these things work wonders, especially on the WD.

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I'm sure this is a noob-ish question, but is it a 1-1 exchange between Protein and BCAA's? Do 30g of BCAA's = 30g protein?

12. virus646

virus646 Senior member

13. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

NO. BCAAs consist only of leucine, isoleucine, and valine.

14. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

Yup. Works. I'll try to get a link to a few studies. My friend (mentioned above) has actually tested it in his lab.

I take/took it in conjunction with Lechitin and Tyrosine.

Where to KOP?

15. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Where to KOP?

Look at my first post on the topic.

16. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

The posts seem to be oriented to general health which is fine, but I am assuming you are interested in supplements that will enhance muscle growth. The only one that has been shown to be worthwhile is creatine. Other pre-workout products provide energy but you can get that from coffee or a Red Bull. Look into products by BSN, the #1 supplement maker on bodybuilding sites. Specifically NO Explode (pre) and Cell Mass (post). You can add a good whey protein, but, honestly, most people who eat a balanced diet get enough protein from their normal diet. Also, if you are looking to put on muscle you must work out hard, eat a lot (in small, frequent meals) and get plenty of rest, because the rest period is where the growth takes place. Finally, if you are skinny, you really need to eat more; if you are overweight, do some cardio. If you can put on a solid 5-10 pounds of muscle in a year, you're doing well.
    I will second the creatine. I work out 5 days a week (cardio MWF, weights TT, then next week cardio TT and weights MWF), using the creatine and Syntha-6 whey protein. Lost 100 lbs. and have gotten to reasonably good physical condition for my age (57). I have managed to put on about 10 lbs in muscle mass. All this in about 11 months. I also have another 40 lbs to lose. If you use the creatine, make sure you stay hydrated well (4 qts of water/day minimum).

17. CCAurora

CCAurora Active Member

The posts seem to be oriented to general health which is fine, but I am assuming you are interested in supplements that will enhance muscle growth. The only one that has been shown to be worthwhile is creatine. Other pre-workout products provide energy but you can get that from coffee or a Red Bull. Look into products by BSN, the #1 supplement maker on bodybuilding sites. Specifically NO Explode (pre) and Cell Mass (post).

Suggesting creatine is all well and good (although steak can get you just as much with the calories you already need), but No-Xpolde and Cell Mass? You're not recommending creatine - you're recommending products that CONTAIN creatine, but tons of filler, artificial flavorings, colors, etc.

Straight up creatine monohydrate is the ONLY way to go if you want to supplement with creatine. Another issue with US supplement laws is that companies don't have to disclose how much of ANYTHING is in their supplements. Very unsafe stuff. We are all guinea pigs for these formulas. Stick to bare-bones supplements and wait the twisted experimentation out.

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Suggesting creatine is all well and good (although steak can get you just as much with the calories you already need), but No-Xpolde and Cell Mass? You're not recommending creatine - you're recommending products that CONTAIN creatine, but tons of filler, artificial flavorings, colors, etc.

Straight up creatine monohydrate is the ONLY way to go if you want to supplement with creatine. Another issue with US supplement laws is that companies don't have to disclose how much of ANYTHING is in their supplements. Very unsafe stuff. We are all guinea pigs for these formulas. Stick to bare-bones supplements and wait the twisted experimentation out.

+1

BSN is overpriced crap that's only expensive because of all the money they funnel into marketing their shitty products to suckers.

No-Xplode and Cell Mass are shit products. Syntha-6 is decent, but expensive and high in fat and sugars, which is why it tastes so good.

There are so many better options out there.

19. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

+1

BSN is overpriced crap that's only expensive because of all the money they funnel into marketing their shitty products to suckers.

No-Xplode and Cell Mass are shit products. Syntha-6 is decent, but expensive and high in fat and sugars, which is why it tastes so good.

There are so many better options out there.

Such as?

I agree that No-Xlode and Cell Mass are crap. Add muscletech to the list. They spend more money on marketing than they do on the products themselves. Then we have to pay extra for the hype.

That said, I agree that creatine is legit. Anyone have a creatine that they swear by?

20. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I will second the creatine. I work out 5 days a week (cardio MWF, weights TT, then next week cardio TT and weights MWF), using the creatine and Syntha-6 whey protein. Lost 100 lbs. and have gotten to reasonably good physical condition for my age (57). I have managed to put on about 10 lbs in muscle mass. All this in about 11 months. I also have another 40 lbs to lose.

If you use the creatine, make sure you stay hydrated well (4 qts of water/day minimum).

Amazing results. What creatine do you use? How many calories do you take in on a daily basis? 100lbs. in 11 months is a little concerning. Share your workout routine.