• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sun Protection for Life (book)

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kapay
Wow I'm sure reading all that has just made some people feel hopeless.
Yeah, now I'm never gonna be able to live forever!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection of SPF 30+ is needed. Some of the better products are only available at dermatology offices. But products have improved over the years, lest anyone soured on sunscreen a while ago.

Also, any sunscreen product can sour, lose its effectiveness. Anything older than a year should be discarded.

There are 6 skin types (pigment types, really). Damage will damage faster, or show damage faster, on some more than others, but all should be using basically the same sunscreen. Only a few details, like allergies and whether one will be swimming or not, create needs for different types of sunscreen.

By the way, tanning beds are not safe.

I notice there's no applicable category for Asian skintones.

Some cultures still hold that predilection towards lighter skintones. The Western, and particularly American (though some Japanese girls take this to a horrendous extreme) preference for tans can be puzzling. Here in Taiwan, in lieu of tanning salons there are "mei bai" or beautiful whitening clinics.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is an Asian inclination for rather darkly tanned people to have their hair dyed in these atrociously coordinated dark blonde/orange colors.

It makes the skin look very sallow.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Is your friend a plagiarist as well as a dermatologist?
Aus

Neither, sir! However, thank you for your peer review.

Although I used the original correspondent's quotation marks, my cut and paste somehow eliminated his second citation. Look closely, doctor, and you will see the first citation my friend provided.

The remarks are in a private communication. The author used quotation marks and citations. I expect he never thought I would later reprint part of his letter to me. It's a remarkable thing (in my opinion) that he was thorough enough to use quotation marks and provide citations at all.

Although I retained the quotation marks, it's a simple error that the second citation wasn't included by me. Relax, and please enjoy your lovely autumn sun! Does my error warrant your nasty conjecture about my friend?
frown.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There is an Asian inclination for rather darkly tanned people to have their hair dyed in these atrociously coordinated dark blonde/orange colors.

It makes the skin look very sallow.

Aside from the ganguro subculture, deep tans with bleached hair is hardly an Asian thing.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Does my error warrant your nasty conjecture about my friend?
frown.gif

Forgive me then. I thought it quite implausible that your dermatologist friend might have chosen this page on a lay forum to quote both his references from. It is more customary, in the field of medicince, to use more reliable sources. Thank you for you kind admonitions.

Aus

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A major theme of the book is spreading the Australian campaign to the United States. Sunscreen is only a small part of what's written. The book, written by clothing retailers, does not mention the high cost, aesthetics, and other details that are slowing the spread of sun protective clothing, but it does mention that sun protection can be added via the wash.

Not in the book is discussion of the sun's effect on mood. However, to boost the mood with light doesn't require exposure that would damage the skin.

Sunscreen will impede the development of freckles. And also moles.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, are there objections here to sun protective clothing based on fit and fabrics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads