• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit too tight, too short, too trendy? Seeking opinions on interview attire.

factorial

Reaction score
With black shoes and losing the PS you will have no problems stylistically at an interview (including management consulting, since you mentioned that). I would switch ties too but that won't disqualify you. Good luck.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I don't like it, I think the tie is perfect for an interview in those industries and in these times.

Also, are we sure the pocket square is a bad idea? It might make him more memorable ("the smart guy with the square"), though I suppose it is a risk that shouldn't be taken. Everyone likes madmen these days.

On the other hand, the other day I was sporting a TV fold and my mother said that she never sees people with them and that they are only for the effete (like myself).

factorial

Reaction score
You said it yourself... it's a needless risk. 2% of people might look at the PS favorably but it's never going to influence them to give you the job, while 2% of people might say "Why is that guy wearing a hankerchief? Weird..." and think less of you.

The tie would be fine if the black stripes were navy or if it had blue instead of white, but black/white/silver is asking to be paired with gray, not navy. You can do better pretty easily and still be very somber.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the suit but the pocket square might be a bit much for an interview especially if the interviewer isn't wearing one.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
The tie would be fine if the black stripes were navy or if it had blue instead of white, but black/white/silver is asking to be paired with gray, not navy. You can do better pretty easily and still be very somber.
Good critique of the tie.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
I say damn the torpedoes and rock the pocket-square! In all my years in the business world, I've never heard of anyone not getting a job because they wore a pocket-square to the interview. The very idea of that is absurd.

Inf

Reaction score
The suit looks pretty awesome, I would totally wear it to job interviews if it fit me that well.

Besides, I wouldn't stress it because in all likelihood:

a) The people interviewing you are not going to be gentleman's fashion experts who will make a snarky comment on their paperwork about "suit fit too well."

b) Most of the people you'll be competing with aren't going to be dressed near as well. Most fresh out of college kids have NO IDEA how to dress professionally as an adult, because they never had a reason to do it regularly. My university has a career center where companies come to interview on-site, and in the little waiting room most of the students are wearing ill-fitting sack-suits that don't even fit right in the shoulders. Most students (here) aren't balling out of control, and probably didn't think to go to Barney's for a suit, and instead just went to the mall and picked up whatever was on sale, or to *gasp* Men's Wearhouse.

I think the more important thing in a job interview aside from basic credentials, is just your personality. No one wants to work with a miserable sod, so just act naturally (but professionally) and well adjusted.

bdbb

Reaction score
Definitely lose the tie. Way too slick, especially with that suit. Gives you the whole kenneth cole/hugo boss/CK look. It probably should be an inch longer but I don't think it's a big deal. Not a bad price for getting it in a store, although you can stretch your money a lot farther by trying on in stores and then buying online.

Put some thought into whatever tie you go with. The classic "interview" tie with some sort of burgundy stripes is going to look a bit out of place with an edgier suit. Yet your current combo strays towards clubd00d. Maybe try either a very light powder blue or white shirt with a tie that has yellow as the base color and also some blue.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck

...(BTW, pocket square will go away for interviews, and shoes will be black)...

Originally Posted by bowtielover
I do like the suit but the pocket square might be a bit much for an interview especially if the interviewer isn't wearing one.

Did you even read the OP's post?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit looks great on you. A suit as well-fitting as that can only help make your first impression that much stronger. Because it's solid navy and very conventional apart from the fit, you will only stand out in a good way. Throw on your black Soho's, and you'll have a great outfit. I might be the one person who likes the tie, though I might suggest trying out adding a navy pindot to your interview repertoire at some point.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
good lookin johnny

alainsoir

Reaction score
I think the suit looks really good. How much did it cost? I'm looking on the Hickey site and I don't see the line you mention; I'm in Canada, so am not familiar with this store!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads