• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit quality comparison

StopPolloition

Reaction score
You could try a size 40 Ralph Lauren black label, sometimes they pop up for about $500 or so here on SF. It's not quite the budget you were looking for, but maybe worth a try.

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
I heard the Wizard's suits are 1/2 canvassed, not full.

I believe my MV before was half canvassed. Don't know about Baroni though.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjraica
My biggest problem is finding a suit period that fits correctly. I'm a 39.5" chest, 31" waist/32" hip, 34" sleeve and 19.5" shoulder. A 38 or 39L usually has too small shoulders, just too tight to really fit right. A 40L usually has the right shoulder, but the chest and waist seem huge, and the trousers always need drastic tailoring. And depending on how vanity sized they are, I've had to have complete recuts done. I've looked at bespoke/MTM, I actually have a local tailor who is doing some bespoke shirts along with fixing all the shirts I have now that will do a bespoke suit for $950. I may look at one, but this doesn't solve the issue of needing 5 days worth of suits. How drastically can a boxy RTW suit be tailored to get a good fit? All the suits I have now have been tailored, but still fit ridiculously boxy (that tailored was only paid for the slacks and cuff work. I told him he didn't tailor the jacket as we discussed, he said it was impossible, so I said I'm not paying for work you said you would complete now refuse to do. That was a fun conversation.)

You have a large drop (chest-waist size). You need an athletic cut suit. That you should try on in person. Seattle, huh? Try searching the forum for information on local retailers. There have to be more options than what you have listed.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest spending a tad more and taking advantage of Ben/eHaberdashers current discounts on his Benjamin line of suits, if you don't mind a slightly slimmer fit.

Grenadier

Reaction score
I ordered a T.M. Lewin 2-button dark grey sharkskin number with an additional pair of trousers yesterday. All told, including shipping and two pairs of silk knots it came to $303. I don't think you can beat that with a stick; if it fits as well as I believe it might.

I'll post pictures when I get it; I've noticed a lack of pictures of people with T.M. Lewin suits on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics