• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit options around $3,000

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

who would i do bespoke with in manhattan, ercole? if I did choose a fabric that would run me around 3k would it essentially be the same quality as Isaia? is it possible that he even gets fabric from the same mill? maybe it's a little foolish to expect that.. I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are in terms of cost/quality and i know basically nothing about the bespoke experience.

edit: and since I'm relatively inexperienced with suiting in general, would I be able to just go in, leave it up to him to do what he thinks will look best, and come out with a good product? I'm not doing anything fancy, just a plain navy suit probably, fully canvassed, notched lapels the same size as they are on an Isaia suit (that's what seems to work for me, at least), working buttons on the sleeve, cuffed pants.. that's literally as far as my knowledge goes.

Yes. Even if the Isaia fits you perfectly, it wouldn't hurt to see the options available with bespoke .

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're relatively inexperienced, I'd suggest that you take a closer look at the fit of these RTW before you choose them over bespoke. While it's true the technology going into RTW often makes them superior to some bespoke, fitting flaws, especially on the back of the body, can be missed by the customer.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Oxxford within the OP's price range? Also, note that there are several lines within Zegna, some of which I'd consider nicer than Isaia. There's Z Zegna, which is fused crap, mainline Zegna which is probably a half step below Isaia and a half step above Armani Black Label, then there's Trofeo, which is a bit closer to Isaia and finally Couture, which is considerably nicer, IMO.

Also, with the current sale I think Ralph Lauren Purple Label is worth a look.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
Is Oxxford within the OP's price range? Also, note that there are several lines within Zegna, some of which I'd consider nicer than Isaia. There's Z Zegna, which is fused crap, mainline Zegna which is probably a half step below Isaia and a half step above Armani Black Label, then there's Trofeo, which is a bit closer to Isaia and finally Couture, which is considerably nicer, IMO.
Also, with the current sale I think Ralph Lauren Purple Label is worth a look.

could I even fit into an oxxford or rlpl suit? I'm young so I still have a very trim body. that's part of the draw of the Isaia, they seem to be cut slim.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

could I even fit into an oxxford or rlpl suit? I'm young so I still have a very trim body. that's part of the draw of the Isaia, they seem to be cut slim.

The Oxxford 1220 line is pretty slim. I would even say it's even slimmer than some of the Isaia base fits.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
The Oxxford 1220 line is pretty slim. I would even say it's even slimmer than some of the Isaia base fits.

I imagine that starting at only $2,500 the 1220 line is considerably lower quality than what Oxxford is known to produce. Would the 1220 line still be greater or as good quality in terms of construction/fabric as an Isaia suit? What really confuses me on here is that people seem to rank Isaia with brands like Canali, Hickey Freeman, Zegna, and Brooks Bros (golden fleece/black fleece).. The prices of these suits differ vastly, so if a $3,000 Isaia suit is only as good as a $1,400 Hickey Freeman suit, why would anyone ever buy Isaia? and lastly, I once read on here that Prada suits are made by Belvest.. I know that people on here don't like Prada—I imagine because the suit is not worth its price—but my sister actually works for them and could get me a considerable discount. That being said, how does Prada rank with the rest of the names that have been mentioned in this thread as far as quality goes? I am less concerned with price so long as it falls within my range, so I just want to make sure that I get the best quality suit for what I can afford—cost is an afterthought. Thanks..

Last edited:

GentryLtd

Reaction score
I imagine that starting at only $2,500 the 1220 line is considerably lower quality than what Oxxford is known to produce. Would the 1220 line still be greater or as good quality in terms of construction/fabric as an Isaia suit? What really confuses me on here is that people seem to rank Isaia with brands like Canali, Hickey Freeman, Zegna, and Brooks Bros (golden fleece/black fleece).. The prices of these suits differ vastly, so if a $3,000 Isaia suit is only as good as a $1,400 Hickey Freeman suit, why would anyone ever buy Isaia? and lastly, I once read on here that Prada suits are made by Belvest.. I know that people on here don't like Prada—I imagine because the suit is not worth its price—but my sister actually works for them and could get me a considerable discount. That being said, how does Prada rank with the rest of the names that have been mentioned in this thread as far as quality goes? I am less concerned with price so long as it falls within my range, so I just want to make sure that I get the best quality suit for what I can afford—cost is an afterthought. Thanks..

I think you bring up some quality questions, my friend. Most people are going to hate on Prada just because they aren't a suit-maker first. Prada is a fashion house who is most known for its leather, not its suiting prowess. Having said that, I have no experience working with Prada, so I'm not going to bash the quality of their pieces.

You have to remember that some people may be paying more $$$ for an Isaia (insert Brioni, Belvest, Kiton, etc.) because it's just what the people they surround themselves with do as well. For example, if I took a job in an office where all of my colleagues wore Isaia suits, I would undoubtedly do the same thing, why mess with the status quo?

To answer your original question though, I really think you should look into a MTM Samuelsohn suit. My clients are blown away time and time again with the quality of their work and at a $3k budget, you could easily get a Zegna fabric if that's important to you. Being young and slim, they have a model that would compliment your silhouette nicely. One thing about Samuelsohn that I'm quick to remind people about is that they have decided to do all the parts that should be done by hand as such but still allow a perfect, unflawed machine construct the parts of the jacket that you want to be more perfect than what the human hand can create.

If you can give me an idea of what part of NYC you're in, I would be happy to refer you to a small, locally owned store you could frequent that would go above and beyond your expectations to make sure that you're a happy client of theirs. Best luck to you in finding what you are looking for!

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you should not go by brand name but style and cut and go from there. I personally think Canali and Zegna are very good suitmakers.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the confusion comes when you group different tiers of brands in the same group. Zegna, HF, and not sure about Canali all have different lines within them and i don't really think its fair to group isaia with them. I would put Isaia in the same group as, belvest, D'avenza and partenopea which would be a tier below Brioni/Kiton/Attolini/Oxxford/Zegna Couture. Sorry to the HF and canali fans, they are great suits but i really don't think they should even be in the same group as Zegna mainline and definitely not Isaia. Isaia d'avenza, partenopea are "approaching" the top tier in terms of handwork/fabric but HF and canali are no where near them. Btw you are correct that Prada suits are made by Belvest but only SOME of them are and this is reflected in their price which it why you find some sub 3k and other 4k+(btw not sure if this is still relevant as the last time i heard/seen a belvest made prada suit was some time ago and these things change from time to time). Same with Gucci suits in general the ones closer to 4k are made by Zegna and the cheaper ones are not. Im assuming from your screen name that you live in NYC? All you have to do is go to Saks on the 6th floor they have Zegna, canali, and Isaia there and you can compare them for yourself. And speaking of saks they were on sale last week not sure how long it lasts though.

PS: this is just my opinion which is only one persons but just check the suit hierarchy thread theres a lot of weird rankings here and there but in general almost no one would rank HF and Canali with Isaia
http://www.styleforum.net/t/140387/the-styleforum-working-hierarchical-suit-quality-list-sfwhsql

Last edited:

newyorknoir

Reaction score
And the head of the Isaia section at Saks was a pleasant bloke, not the usual pushy ahole who tells you how perfect the fit is, etc.
Had his card and personal cell on it but I doubt I can find it. Name was Thomas, I believe.

Yeah, that's who I see when I go there.. nice guy, helpful salesman.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A Zegna suit can easily fetch for 3K however it will depend on the fabric I believe such as a solid navy suit for less than that.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Zegna suit can easily fetch for 3K however it will depend on the fabric I believe such as a solid navy suit for less than that.

Also depends on what line. Mainline will usually be in the $2k-2,400 range, while the Trofeo goes up a bit from there and Couture will be significantly more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads