• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suit options around $3,000

newyorknoir

Reaction score
I need a staple all-year suit for around $3,000 (before tax).. Isaia suits fit perfectly but all they seem to carry at Bergdorf/Barneys/Saks is the aquaspider, which I don't like the feel of.. I don't need a waterproof or wrinkle-resistant suit, so the entire concept of aquaspider is not what I'm looking for. The only other suit within my price range seems to be Zegna, but from my understanding this is a considerably lower quality suit than Isaia? I also just want solid navy, gray, or even brown, 100% wool.

Thanks

Last edited:

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get Isaia MTM if their base model fits perfectly?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart carries Isaia, I believe.
May run more than 3k

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried eBay yet? Also try some of the outlets (Off Fifth / Last Call), I have seen lots of Isaia non-aquaspider dribbling through and at 1.5 - 1.7K a pop quite a lot cheaper than full retail. Naturally these suits are never Navy or Charcoal staples but the one I looked at last week was a Charcoal with fairly faint pinstripes - if you can live with minor patterns visiting an outlet may give you a chance.

As for Zegna, not that much below Isaia IMO. However given the choice I would say Isaia wins out particularly in lieu you have had good success fitting them OTR.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried eBay yet? Also try some of the outlets (Off Fifth / Last Call), I have seen lots of Isaia non-aquaspider dribbling through and at 1.5 - 1.7K a pop quite a lot cheaper than full retail. Naturally these suits are never Navy or Charcoal staples but the one I looked at last week was a Charcoal with fairly faint pinstripes - if you can live with minor patterns visiting an outlet may give you a chance.
As for Zegna, not that much below Isaia IMO. However given the choice I would say Isaia wins out particularly in lieu you have had good success fitting them OTR.

Def agree Klobb.. Isaia may have some more hand work done but from my understanding a lot of mainline Isaia is still machine made..so if Isaia is a 9, Zegna is an 8..my opinion though..

gambit50

Reaction score
Surprised all you found was aquaspider. They all do MTM Isaia and, as was mentioned, pick your fabric from a book that is certainly not all the waterproof stuff.
Sometimes, Isaia(or whatever label)will be in the house at a department store and MTM will be the same price as OTR.
That is probably only once or twice a year though you might be able to call and find out.
And the head of the Isaia section at Saks was a pleasant bloke, not the usual pushy ahole who tells you how perfect the fit is, etc.
Had his card and personal cell on it but I doubt I can find it. Name was Thomas, I believe.

At full price or MTM, 3k will be a bit short, I think.

And if you are going OTR, try on some other brands that are +/- Isaia and check around online as the gents suggested above.

Good luck.

newyorknoir

Reaction score
who would i do bespoke with in manhattan, ercole? if I did choose a fabric that would run me around 3k would it essentially be the same quality as Isaia? is it possible that he even gets fabric from the same mill? maybe it's a little foolish to expect that.. I'm just trying to figure out what my best options are in terms of cost/quality and i know basically nothing about the bespoke experience.

edit: and since I'm relatively inexperienced with suiting in general, would I be able to just go in, leave it up to him to do what he thinks will look best, and come out with a good product? I'm not doing anything fancy, just a plain navy suit probably, fully canvassed, notched lapels the same size as they are on an Isaia suit (that's what seems to work for me, at least), working buttons on the sleeve, cuffed pants.. that's literally as far as my knowledge goes.

Last edited:

Geruvah

Reaction score
Going to keep an eye here myself because I'm getting close to a Tom Ford or Zegna Couture suit and if bespoke will be higher quality...well...we'll see. But Tom Ford OTR already fit me very well and I know I can pull it off.

Last edited:

nseller

Reaction score
Isaia suits are everywhere on ebay just a little over your budget though.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Isaia fits you perfectly, you are most likely not hard to fit - bespoke would probably turn out well for you. For $3K you would have very nice fabrics at your disposal.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd wait a few weeks until the next 50% off/buy 1 get 1 free suit sale at Off Saks, and I'd buy 3 Zegna mainlines, but that's just me. Perhaps you have enough suits and just want to spend the entire sum on something special.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics