• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Okay so grey/matching tie = red boutonnière.
Others = white.

Still unsure what tie color.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Okay so grey/matching tie = red boutonnière.
Others = white.

Still unsure what tie color.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
These are ones I've found:

Godot

Reaction score
It would help to know when and where this prom is being held-,just the month-city and hotel should be enough.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Not sure how that will help. Just need colors to match, not necessarily with the season.

January. Bay Area, CA.

Godot

Reaction score
Pass on the Dior & Rep ties. Write down the following on slips of paper

Plain Grey

Black

Red

then put the pieces of paper in a bag (any colored bag) shake the bag, close your eyes, then pick out a piece of paper. Whatever it says is the right one. That's the one I recommend. I don't care if you get a phone call from a dieing relative or the Vatican telling you it's the other color, simply say "Thank You for sharing, I have chosen _________________". If the Prom committee calls and tells you that the Sargent at Arms will be carrying a Mac10 with instructions to kill anyone wearing that color tie, be resolute and declare "I regret I have only one tie to wear for my country". In a world strewn with existential & political doubt, let this be the one thing that is certain. You will wear that color tie.

I want to thank you for being the one beacon of certainty in an increasingly uncertain world. Many would adhere to the theory that in times of trouble strife and doubt, one should run in circles and scream and shout. This is not you my friend. By making a clear decision on this tie issue, I'm reminded of the line in the sand at the Alamo that men were asked to cross. January 2nd in the year of our Lord 2013, is a day that will be remembered by the ages. I salute you.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Okay well I bought this grey tie.

Was $3 off eBay and will deliver in time. Don't really know what other greys work, so whatever.

Or this is a choice too:

Steve Papas

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Heed this advice.
Seriously, it's your prom, just have fun.

Well put.

Some friendly advise. Pick whatever colour tie YOU think is best. If you do not know what is best, put on your prom clothes go down to your local store, and ask the sales person if you could try on some ties, and ask the person to recommend one. Part of the fun of learning how to dress well is experimentation. Once you pick a tie, go to your prom and have fun. Life is too short to worry about things like what colour tie will look the best on you.
cheers.gif

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Life is too short to worry about things like what colour tie will look the best on you.

Why are you here? This community is almost literally the antithesis of what you just said. We like to talk about clothes and style and yes, what tie looks best in a particular circumstance. Different people have different opinions, but if you don't care what you wear then why come to a place called "styleforum"?

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Go with the grey tie and red boutonniere. Red tie may look too classic and therefore kitschy to your high school friends.

Steve Papas

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why are you here? This community is almost literally the antithesis of what you just said. We like to talk about clothes and style and yes, what tie looks best in a particular circumstance. Different people have different opinions, but if you don't care what you wear then why come to a place called "styleforum"?

To get other people's opinion on how to dress better. But if none if forthcoming, then I am going to make up my own opinion and not worry about it. Unless it is for something really important, like an important job interview and wearing the wrong clothing will cost me a job.

Like you said "different people have different opinions". If one person says tie A is better, tie B looks idiotic, and another person says the opposite, then I will make up my own mind who I think is right. I will not worry what other people think.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To get other people's opinion on how to dress better. But if none if forthcoming, then I am going to make up my own opinion and not worry about it. Unless it is for something really important, like an important job interview and wearing the wrong clothing will cost me a job.

Like you said "different people have different opinions". If one person says tie A is better, tie B looks idiotic, and another person says the opposite, then I will make up my own mind who I think is right. I will not worry what other people think.
I think you may be working at cross purposes. You're saying that life is too short to worry if Tie A would be a better choice than Tie B, as long as both are acceptable. You're treating this site as a repository of information for the man who wishes to accoutre himself in a manner that is acceptable and aesthetically pleasing, and there's nothing wrong with that. Caustic Man is, like the more devoted posters here, treating this site as a forum for men's clothing enthusiasts -- that is, men who think life is just the right length to worry whether Tie A or Tie B is more aesthetically pleasing, not because it's a crucial issue, but because they enjoy it. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics