• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you HAVE to wear the vest why not construct a three piece and wear it under your jacket; so when the bouncers at the gates ask you 'hey buddy wears your vest' you can do a little pow and unbotton your jacket and be pure sex....sorry I'm drunk :)

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I refuse to give you advice on this outfit because you've already left the bounds of good taste far, far in the dust. 

Semi-formal is black tie. That does not mean simply wearing a black tie, it means wearing a tuxedo jacket (not merely a black jacket; it has lapels with satin facings and fabric-covered buttons, no vents, jetted pockets, one button, please-and-thank-you) with matching pants (they should have a satin stripe along the outseam; they are not simply black pants), a cummerbund or vest (BLACK), and a black bow tie.

I would like to take this opportunity to urge you to reconsider your ideas of coolness, gentleness, and style.

This is a bit harsh actually. Even though i agree with you that some of the statements here are absurd by SF standards (Black suit with white shirt and black bowtie) you have to understand that this guy is going to a high school event and the fact that he is on here looking for advise should be enough to give him at least some props. Btw it can be satin or silk lapels, and the jacket does not necessarily have to match the pants, it can be a different patterns and materials (I.E velvet) and in some cases (before labor day if I'm not mistaken) can be white/cream, and even though its not traditional some people have double vents on their jackets, even forum members who know the rules by heart do this for comforts sake.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry I won't be able to hear your advice.
I'm not the one that sets dress codes. Pretty sure the majority of high schoolers don't give a **** about dressing well. Which means coming out of here, even if not up to SF standards, will be better than the majority of the guys there.
If you still want to give advice, I'm all ears.

Since you are not really taking anyone's advice, I'm not sure that you are going to look better than everyone else. I'm not even sure why you are here if you don't even plan in taking our advice.

I still think you should wear the suit. The vest thing, as misguided as it is, seems like a suggestion for setting the formality level as opposed to an actual dress code. If you show up in the suit, do you really think you will get turned away because you don't have a vest?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The inability of SF members to operate at all within the confines of "context" is hilariously unfortunate.
The level of social and emotional intelligence on this forum is abysmal on a good day.
For f*ck's sake , half of the people here would've declined a life vest on the titanic if the orange clashed with your evening wear.
Thank you for your helpful contribution to this thread.

Godot

Reaction score
[quote name="BackInTheJox"
For f*ck's sake , half of the people here would've declined a life vest on the titanic if the orange clashed with your evening wear.[/quote]

Good Sir, I believe I speak for most members that being informed by their valet that the Titanic had orange life vests, would have cancelled passage and waited for a ship more satirically appropriate. I myself don't have a single pair of spats that would go with an orange vest, nor am I likely to do so in the future.

More on topic aren't most proms held in May or June? What kind of school holds their prom in December or January? The only example I can find of this Winter prom is in Norway, where it's called a Nyttårsballet, and people wear whatever they feel like wearing because it's not considered to be a big deal.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The inability of SF members to operate at all within the confines of "context" is hilariously unfortunate.
The level of social and emotional intelligence on this forum is abysmal on a good day.
For f*ck's sake , half of the people here would've declined a life vest on the titanic if the orange clashed with your evening wear.
He wants to dress well. We're telling him how he can do that, and we're telling him that the way he wants to is wrong.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He wants to dress well. We're telling him how he can do that, and we're telling him that the way he wants to is wrong.

No, he's giving you the constraints within which he is working and you (the collective you) are refusing to even consider this.

Yes, in a vacuum many of the things he is suggesting would not occur. That would be ideal. But we don't live in an ideal world, and he has made it clear over and over what his options are.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, he's giving you the constraints within which he is working and you (the collective you) are refusing to even consider this.

Yes, in a vacuum many of the things he is suggesting would not occur. That would be ideal. But we don't live in an ideal world, and he has made it clear over and over what his options are.
Then he's asking the wrong people. A gun forum usually wouldn't teach someone the right way to shoot a gun "gangsta style," even if they really, really wanted to. A martial arts forum usually wouldn't start talking about how to use tai chi in an mma or street fight, even if the poster really, really wanted to do so. And most people on this forum aren't going to give him help doing something that won't look good, even if he really, really wants to.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then he's asking the wrong people. A gun forum usually wouldn't teach someone the right way to shoot a gun "gangsta style," even if they really, really wanted to. A martial arts forum usually wouldn't start talking about how to use tai chi in an mma or street fight, even if the poster really, really wanted to do so. And most people on this forum aren't going to give him help doing something that won't look good, even if he really, really wants to.

He doesn't seem to really, really, really want to dress poorly. He wants to have a good prom and possibly get laid. He is presenting what the feasible options are (aside from completely alienating his date-to-be) and requesting help in maximizing his ability to still look as not bad as possible given these options.

But I really don't expect most people to understand that, let alone function as such. Most are way too far removed from the real world.

Last edited:

Steve Papas

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ASB (Associated Student Body), our class officers, posted the details for our prom stating that it was semi-formal and that guys should wear a shirt, vest, and tie.
According to Wiki: The term "Semi-formal" denotes black-tie for men in evenings, rather than white-tie formalwear. There is a reason why they did not state a jacket. It is a given. Many students like to get creative and wear tuxedos with t-shirts that have pictures of a bow tie. It is your prom, and do as you like. But if you show up without a jacket, not only will you be badly dressed, but you will be the only one without one. If people then ask you where is your jacket, do not say to them do not say to them you thought jackets were not allowed. They will laugh at you. Just say to them you are being rebellious and anti establishment. Some of them might even think you are cool.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Bow tie vs skinny tie?

I have been taking people's advice as much as I could.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads