• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchased a vintage Savile Row suit, seeking advice on fit & tailoring needs.

AlpacaWhacker

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently found a suit from Maurice Sedwell at a vintage store in New York. At first glance, I believe it fits well and it came to ~$300, which from a quick google appears to be an extremely heavy discount on this tailor’s rates.

I believe it was produced after 1960 and prior to 1990 (given the 01 London dialing code on the inside label) and is made of Super 120s (the inside lining of the back pockets read “Super 120s, Made in England specially for H. Lesser & Sons”).

I am no expert in any sense, being in my early 20s and having barely begun wearing suits at all with any regularity. A photo of me wearing it is below.

F48F7C82-0B7E-4A00-B277-CC435AB40571.jpeg

I’d appreciate any thoughts on how this fits and how it might need adjusting. I feel good about it right now, but don’t have the eye for detail that many of you very likely have.

Thank you!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From that one photo I’d say you did very well. I don’t see anything that I think needs adjusting.
How does it look from the back?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, very nice. The only minor thing that I think might need addressing is whether the trousers need to be lengthened slightly if you're wearing shoes and not boots. But it's hard to tell for sure from these photos.

AlpacaWhacker

Reaction score
wow, very nice. The only minor thing that I think might need addressing is whether the trousers need to be lengthened slightly if you're wearing shoes and not boots. But it's hard to tell for sure from these photos.
Thank you - yeah, I think I’ve perhaps pulled up the pants a little more than I usually would in those photos because I’m wearing boots. Don’t think it would be an issue that needs tailoring.

What would you think about a slight tapering in the lower leg? They’re a little wide, which is of course part of the style but not what I’d usually go for.

I’m hesitant to mess with what may well be a 50-60 year old garment, and so might just lean into the styling the tailor intended.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally would not taper the trousers. The pendulum has been slowly swinging back towards fuller leg cuts. I would call that a fairly classic hem width.

AlpacaWhacker

Reaction score
I personally would not taper the trousers. The pendulum has been slowly swinging back towards fuller leg cuts. I would call that a fairly classic hem width.
Great, I think that makes sense. I’ll go without adjustments then. Seems I got very fortunate to find this one!

Appreciate the advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads