1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suit For a Funeral

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mrgoblueguy, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior Member

I am semi new to the forum and need some help. I am sad to say that I know there will be a death in my family soon and want to know is black the only suit color that is acceptable to wear. Also, should there be a certain style suit for a funeral that I should look at. Thanks again for all the help guys...

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Very dark gray is perfectly fine. Dark blue is OK too, but gray is preferable to blue. Solids are preferable to any pattern.

3. Phil

Phil Senior Member

No, black is not the only acceptable funeral suit. In fact, these days, I truly wouldnt be surprised if someone showed up to one in a NBA jersey. If you want to look your best and most respectful, a black suit is perfectly acceptable, and unless I am mistaken, was the standard for funerals many years ago. Today, most people would agree that a dark suit, either in charcoal grey or dark navy blue is what to go with. A solid coloured suit is preferable if you have one. As for the shirt, white is the way to go. If you dont have a white shirt, light blue is acceptable as a substitute. I would never, under any circumstances, wear a patterned shirt (unless it was a herringbone style, blue on blue or white on white kind of thing) and even then I would only do that as a last resort. A dark solid colored tie finishes it off, as do black shoes. A simple white linen pocketsquare is just fine also. I think the goal is to look somber, respectful, and draw as little attention to your clothes as possible.

Im sorry you will have to go to a funeral at all.

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

charcoal or dark navy would be fine too.

.luc

5. gregory

gregory Senior Member

This is one ocassion where I quite frankly think that any one with the means should strictly observe dress code: black suit, white broadcloth shirt, black captoe shoes.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Phil is correct. The goal is to remain somber and respectful. Avoid bright colors and patterns, particularly patterns on shirts and ties. A dark suit, whether charcoal or navy would be perfectly appropriate, with a solid white shirt and, if possible, a solid black tie. Black shoes, of course. Avoid anything flashy or that might draw attention to yourself.

If you have an appropriate suit I wouldn't recommend buying a new one for a funeral. If you don't have a solid black tie picking one of those up might not be a bad idea.

7. Phil

Phil Senior Member

I agree with Alan about not buying a new suit for the occasion. We are all here because we love clothes, but the truth of it is going to the funeral is alot more important than what you wear. The last funeral I went to was for a fellow that I had gotten to know very well over the past 10 years. He was a manufacturer of corrugated boxes, and when he died all of his employees showed up in various outfits. Most of them were poor, blue collar types, and came out of respect to their employer. I doubt anyone looked down on them because they were in work clothes. In a perfect world they would have all been wearing the "proper" clothes, but in the big scheme of things, there are more important things in life.

8. Manton

Not that I want to launch another 50 page thread (ahem), but this is ... not entirely correct.

The traditional dress code for funerals does not call for black suits because according to the traditional dress code, black suits do not, or should not, exist. If the funeral is formal or semi-formal, then a black morning coat or stroller worn with with dark striped trousers is correct. If lounge suits are worn, then the darkest shade of solid gray in one's closet is correct.

I agree with the advice to stick with a solid white broadcloth shirt, black lace-ups, and a solid black tie.

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

At least from a European perspective, a solid black, long tie is a must. But then you Americans, or at least some show bizzers, wear long black ties with a tuxedo to glitzy award ceremonies. (Cut to millions of European heads, shaken in disbelieve.)

10. Manton

What passes for "Hollywood style" today. Sigh.