• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit For a Funeral

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I am semi new to the forum and need some help. I am sad to say that I know there will be a death in my family soon and want to know is black the only suit color that is acceptable to wear. Also, should there be a certain style suit for a funeral that I should look at. Thanks again for all the help guys...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Very dark gray is perfectly fine. Dark blue is OK too, but gray is preferable to blue. Solids are preferable to any pattern.

Phil

Reaction score
No, black is not the only acceptable funeral suit. In fact, these days, I truly wouldnt be surprised if someone showed up to one in a NBA jersey. If you want to look your best and most respectful, a black suit is perfectly acceptable, and unless I am mistaken, was the standard for funerals many years ago. Today, most people would agree that a dark suit, either in charcoal grey or dark navy blue is what to go with. A solid coloured suit is preferable if you have one. As for the shirt, white is the way to go. If you dont have a white shirt, light blue is acceptable as a substitute. I would never, under any circumstances, wear a patterned shirt (unless it was a herringbone style, blue on blue or white on white kind of thing) and even then I would only do that as a last resort. A dark solid colored tie finishes it off, as do black shoes. A simple white linen pocketsquare is just fine also. I think the goal is to look somber, respectful, and draw as little attention to your clothes as possible.

Im sorry you will have to go to a funeral at all.

gregory

Reaction score
This is one ocassion where I quite frankly think that any one with the means should strictly observe dress code: black suit, white broadcloth shirt, black captoe shoes.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Phil is correct. The goal is to remain somber and respectful. Avoid bright colors and patterns, particularly patterns on shirts and ties. A dark suit, whether charcoal or navy would be perfectly appropriate, with a solid white shirt and, if possible, a solid black tie. Black shoes, of course. Avoid anything flashy or that might draw attention to yourself.

If you have an appropriate suit I wouldn't recommend buying a new one for a funeral. If you don't have a solid black tie picking one of those up might not be a bad idea.

Phil

Reaction score
I agree with Alan about not buying a new suit for the occasion. We are all here because we love clothes, but the truth of it is going to the funeral is alot more important than what you wear. The last funeral I went to was for a fellow that I had gotten to know very well over the past 10 years. He was a manufacturer of corrugated boxes, and when he died all of his employees showed up in various outfits. Most of them were poor, blue collar types, and came out of respect to their employer. I doubt anyone looked down on them because they were in work clothes. In a perfect world they would have all been wearing the "proper" clothes, but in the big scheme of things, there are more important things in life.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is one ocassion where I quite frankly think that any one with the means should strictly observe dress code: black suit, white broadcloth shirt, black captoe shoes.
Not that I want to launch another 50 page thread (ahem), but this is ... not entirely correct.

The traditional dress code for funerals does not call for black suits because according to the traditional dress code, black suits do not, or should not, exist. If the funeral is formal or semi-formal, then a black morning coat or stroller worn with with dark striped trousers is correct. If lounge suits are worn, then the darkest shade of solid gray in one's closet is correct.

I agree with the advice to stick with a solid white broadcloth shirt, black lace-ups, and a solid black tie.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At least from a European perspective, a solid black, long tie is a must. But then you Americans, or at least some show bizzers, wear long black ties with a tuxedo to glitzy award ceremonies. (Cut to millions of European heads, shaken in disbelieve.)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
But then you Americans, or at least some show bizzers, wear long black ties with a tuxedo to glitzy award ceremonies.
What passes for "Hollywood style" today. Sigh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads