• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Combination?

erickuechler

Reaction score
Hi, i really need some help about a suit-combination. so my plan for a wedding (as a guedt) is to dress in a dark-blue suit with a white shirt and brown suspenders. instead of classic brown shoes i decided for white sneakers.

Do you recommend wearing a bow tie and/or a pocket handkerchief to this outfit? If yes, which color?

Thank you already

rjc149

Reaction score
Sneakers with suits is a recent fad, and it's a pretty dumb look. You will not get much love for it on Styleforum. It's possibly okay if the setting doesn't explicitly require a formal/professional dress code but as a wedding guest, I would strongly advise against it -- many would see it as disrespectful.

Likewise I would not go with a bow tie. Nowadays bow ties are viewed as silly with anything but black tie attire.

A pocket square would look good.

As a guest to a wedding, the goal is not to make a fashion statement and draw attention away from the groom to yourself. The goal is dress well and dress respectfully, and blend in to the background so that all attention is on the couple being married. At your own wedding, you can dress however you like. My sister's husband was barefoot with neon green toenail polish and wore tie-dyed pyjama pants at their wedding.

erickuechler

Reaction score
Sneakers with suits is a recent fad, and it's a pretty dumb look. You will not get much love for it on Styleforum. It's possibly okay if the setting doesn't explicitly require a formal/professional dress code but as a wedding guest, I would strongly advise against it -- many would see it as disrespectful.

Likewise I would not go with a bow tie. Nowadays bow ties are viewed as silly with anything but black tie attire.

A pocket square would look good.

As a guest to a wedding, the goal is not to make a fashion statement and draw attention away from the groom to yourself. The goal is dress well and dress respectfully, and blend in to the background so that all attention is on the couple being married. At your own wedding, you can dress however you like. My sister's husband was barefoot with neon green toenail polish and wore tie-dyed pyjama pants at their wedding.
Alright thank you, then i might think about choosing my brown leather shoes instead.

What color and in what shape should the pocket square be so that it looks good in my case?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright thank you, then i might think about choosing my brown leather shoes instead.

What color and in what shape should the pocket square be so that it looks good in my case?
A pocket square should generally echo a color or colors in your tie without being made from identical fabric. When in doubt, plain white linen is always appropriate.

erickuechler

Reaction score
A pocket square should generally echo a color or colors in your tie without being made from identical fabric. When in doubt, plain white linen is always appropriate.
What if i prefer to not use a tie, instead i would go for a more leger look with the top button of the shirt open?

rjc149

Reaction score
What if i prefer to not use a tie, instead i would go for a more leger look with the top button of the shirt open?
I would show up wearing a tie. You can always remove it later.

But this really depends on the dress code, which is information we don't currently have. Usually, weddings ask guests to wear 'cocktail attire' which calls for a suit and tie.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then you can wear whatever color square you like. Traditional for weddings would be something in silver/grey but don’t let that stop you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads