• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Shoe Design Question

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments (and kind words).
To answer some questions about the leather: I am not sure what defines a "true" suede. I am looking at several skins and while a few look to be split or shaggier (and so perhaps "true" suede), the particular one I have in mind is a full grain and so may be thought of as nubuck. It also has a very fine nap.
Here by the way is an example of a plain toe brown suede shoes for work (not my work):
Same pair, I think, in use.

Even if I went this route, the pair I get would look different as they would be welted and of a thicker leather.
If I went with a hand stitched lake, i might actually go in the opposite direction from the Ecton, deploying suede in its traditional country use as a full-on chasse model. The Lobb on-line museum model, has a great example, though not in suede
Also, looking through the Suede shoe thread, I noticed how much I like the two/three eyelet derby model, but also the traditional captoe (and the medward balmoral variant). In sum, I remain undecided.

For me, captoes in suede look best in medium brown

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite ideas for dark suede. Corthay Bob in 002. Balmoral Boot.
Here is my Shannon2 which I got a few months ago, in dark oak and mink suede:
p1040081in4.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Assuming the skin is still available and the shop confirms its ability to execute the technical details, I will be going with a Chasse model, like the EG Dover or Weston Hunt shoe. In other words, like the below, except it will look completely different
This is also quite nice.

Given the thickness of the hide, I decided to get a more robust makeup, so this will be storm or reverse welted, double soled, skin stitched apron and toe and a skin stitched, curved seam on the inside rear (rather than a back seam). In other words, based on the old Lobb model and like the waxed calf one I already have (though with a high walled blunted toe).

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Assuming the skin is still available and the shop confirms its ability to execute the technical details,
I will be going with a Chasse model, like the EG Dover or Weston Hunt shoe. In other words, like the below, except it will look completely different
Given the thickness of the hide, I decided to get a more robust makeup, so this will be storm or reverse welted, double soled, skin stitched apron and toe and a skin stitched, curved seam on the inside rear (rather than a back seam). In other words, based on the old Lobb model and like the waxed calf one I already have (though with a high walled blunted toe).

sounds promising. good luck.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks. Still some details to check on, but I will know soon enough. If not, I have a backup plan in a different suede.

i'm not worried. you know the game.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Assuming the skin is still available and the shop confirms its ability to execute the technical details, I will be going with a Chasse model, like the EG Dover or Weston Hunt shoe. In other words, like the below, except it will look completely different

Are you using JM Weston? Their Chasse is quite a gunboat.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you using JM Weston? Their Chasse is quite a gunboat.

No, though I do like their Hunt Derby. Mine will not be a triple sole and I am sure other proportions will be different - for example, I wanted a higher walled toe-box and the Weston chasse has a relatively small apron.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, though I do like their Hunt Derby. Mine will not be a triple sole and I am sure other proportions will be different - for example, I wanted a higher walled toe-box and the Weston chasse has a relatively small apron.

not many can do that. very mysterious.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not many can do that. very mysterious.

No mystery intended. Foster & Son. I thought I had mentioned that elsewhere, but perhaps not.
In other threads, I had posted pictures of the slipons and captoes they had made for me.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No mystery intended. Foster & Son. I thought I had mentioned that elsewhere, but perhaps not.
In other threads, I had posted pictures of the slipons and captoes they had made for me.

Do you happen to have links to the pictures?

I dropped by their store on Jermyn street last summer and it seemed to me they were more a RTW organization. I was looking for their bespoke samples and don't recall seeing them. I was just looking around and didn't ask though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads