• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Subway and Public Transportation Etiquette - The People We Encounter

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't want to put on airs. I'm merely part of the 2%.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I had a driver, I would probably hate on him as much as I do my fellow subway commuters. Just how I am wired. Like a dick.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the only time it's nice having a driver in Manhattan is when it's 1 AM and you've knocked back a bunch. Else it's just traffic and pedestrians.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

For a long time this was the momofukuing worst, until I discovered:
The Man Who Bathed In Garlic Last Night
Pretty much self explanatory, but occasionally I will walk into a subway car and be overcome with wave upon wave of a rotten garlic odor emanating from every pore of some dude like radiation from a fuel rod. Stale piss smell I can handle... even **** to an extent. But that mofoing garlic smell is the absolute worst.

this needs to be added. Happened to me last night, 11 PM. Nearly empty train so I thought, "hey, I might as well sit down". I always sit next to one of the sides of the bench, never the middle. Next stop a dude gets on and stands in front of the door which is right next to me. **** me. The train air conditioning was blowind down from the ceiling above both of us effectively blowing his garlic-ness right into my face. He was asian. Somebody sat relatively close to me, so I couldn't scoot down and move, but the only alternative I had was to get up and walk towards the other side of the car (making me a Walker). I decided it had to be done, but right as I was about to move he got off (meaning he got on at one stop, and then got off at the very next stop).

deepitm

Reaction score
Not sure if it's on here already, but this thread should inspire someone to write about appropriate behavior in the office bathroom.

E TF

Reaction score

Today I was very nervous on the train. This hipster gets on at the same time as me, wearing a tee shirt, cut off jeans, piercings and such and he is holding a cup of coffee without the lid with the coffee swaying back and forth and him being careless about it and sipping once in a while. Every so often he would hold the cup on his teeth by the lip of the cup with the coffee still swaying about. I am thinking to myself, if the train jerks, or he drops this, or gets any of it on me I am going to knock this motherfucker out.

Everyone would have understood if you'd decided to knock him out preemptively.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
2012_02_subwaysleep.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Does everyone riding NYC subways have earbuds in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads