• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Styleforum's "Just what Santa should have brought" Viberg GMTO thread, 2016

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The makeups for this round look very nice, congrats to all of you. Given the prevalence of 110-last in this GMTO, will it be offered in different widths? This ought to broaden the appeal of the GMTO with the narrow-footed out there..

The lasts cannot be altered or combined with other lasts from the original make ups that Fok already submitted to Viberg.

My feet are on the narrow side of D and the 110 works well for me but I have to wear at least medium thickness boot socks....

Are you a narrow C width? I'm thinking that that might be more of a challenge.

motojobobo

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a Brannock C; and was hoping 110s on D-last (alongside the standard E-last) were a possibility. I use medium weight socks on my current D-width 2005 and 2040, plus an insole, to get a decent fit. I'd have serious doubts whether I could manage an E-width 110.

Whirling

Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a Brannock C; and was hoping 110s on D-last (alongside the standard E-last) were a possibility. I use medium weight socks on my current D-width 2005 and 2040, plus an insole, to get a decent fit. I'd have serious doubts whether I could manage an E-width 110.

I am also a Brannock C width...I am able to wear 2030 and Chelsea 2050 in the default E width with medium-weight socks. I wear Viberg Foreman work boots in B width and Viberg Stallion pull-on boots in AA. Some lasts are significantly roomier than others.

My feet are not only a little narrow, I also have low-volume, low-instep feet. Because I have long heel-to-ball lengths, I have to round up, if anything on sizes.

By far, my most preferred method for taking up volume (and width) is to make my own heavy veg tan sock liners (aka insoles). I have not leatherworking skills, but it is fairly easly. With trial and error, I cut out heavy paper until I have the right shape to cover the entire insole of the boot. I cut out a bump on the side where the arch is, this folds up the side of the boot...I figured this out from looking at the sock liners Feit includes with their shoes to take up volume.

The thick veg tan will breath and absorb moisture in a way that no rubber or foam inserts will. Also, the thick veg tan will mold to the feet just like a leather insole. Also, considering how much volume they take up, I feel the thick veg tan doesn't alter the "dynamics" of the boots very much. As an added bonus, they're very cheap...I just bought the leather locally...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... change of plans.

The tan horse roughout side is too uneven for Viberg to want to attempt a roughout boot with it. Unless we decide to go grain side, we have 2 roughout and suede options. This is a big enough change that I will not hold people to it. However, we co have some good options:

Aged Bark R/O: https://viberg.com/products/scout-boot-aged-bark-roughout?variant=24880231368
Snuff Calf Suede: https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-snuff-calf-suede

Both have the effect that we are looking for, and both will look nice. The snuff suede is closer, overall, the the horse roughout, I think. Your thoughts?

The rest of the boots are set except that all the stitching for the stitchdown needs to be white.

Cheers,

Fok.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
So does this mean we are approved for 4 makeups this time? Are we a lock on the Sinister Oxford, Spymaster, Standard City and Chelsea (provided the leather options are acceptable to those voters)?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So does this mean we are approved for 4 makeups this time? Are we a lock on the Sinister Oxford, Spymaster, Standard City and Chelsea (provided the leather options are acceptable to those voters)?
We are allowed all 4, yes.

Cheers,

Fok.

jlchau

Reaction score
So... change of plans.

The tan horse roughout side is too uneven for Viberg to want to attempt a roughout boot with it. Unless we decide to go grain side, we have 2 roughout and suede options. This is a big enough change that I will not hold people to it. However, we co have some good options:

Aged Bark R/O: https://viberg.com/products/scout-boot-aged-bark-roughout?variant=24880231368
Snuff Calf Suede: https://viberg.com/products/service-boot-snuff-calf-suede

Both have the effect that we are looking for, and both will look nice. The snuff suede is closer, overall, the the horse roughout, I think. Your thoughts?

The rest of the boots are set except that all the stitching for the stitchdown needs to be white.

Cheers,

Fok.

I know this is a big ask, but if they'll let us do mushroom chamois you can take my money now. You will sell a lot of these if we can do it.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is a big ask, but if they'll let us do mushroom chamois you can take my money now.

I think I'd be on board if this were possible. I'm not sure about the other options. I know these things happen and I don't blame anybody, but my level of enthusiasm for the alternatives just isn't the same - but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Also isn't the snuff suede the same as what Mr. Porter had? Missed a chance to grab those for around $490 a few days back...

Last edited:

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'd be on board if this were possible. I'm not sure about the other options. I know these things happen and I don't blame anybody, but my level of enthusiasm for the alternatives just isn't the same - but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Also isn't the snuff suede the same as what Mr. Porter had? Missed a chance to grab those for around $490 a few days back...
What a ripping deal that would have been. Wow.

All they had were that and a bunch of 2030's otherwise.........

Too bad we don't get a charming GMTO deal.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt