• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

style of knot with collar.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with those who have no love for the full Windsor. I just find their equilateral triangularity to be inelegant. I think if the knot of a half-windsor, or a 1x or 2x four-in hand is too small for either your head or your spread, you just need a tie made of a heftier silk. JMHO.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as it looks balanced (or unbalanced) and good to you, wear it. Most my shirts are english spread, what really dictates the tie knot is determined by the Tie itself (how thick, how wide etc) and the final combo... If it still doesn't look good after a few ties, ditch it! - the only time I use a specific tie knot for specific collar is when I wear a Keaton collar. I find the skinny FIH knot rules. Until I find another knot that I think suits it, its gonna change
smile.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fran
You are right, that comment was pretty lame. I am not used to this kind of decorum on MBs. My point was that I was brought up thinking that elegance was in large part nonchalance, and the idea of applying any mathematical formulas to ties strikes me as odd. Again, I apologize for the tone. As for knots, it is my view that the 4 in hand is clearly the most elegant knot available to us. This is the first time that I have ever heard the idea of "filling the spread", but it makes very little sense to me. JML: I mean this in the best possible way. I see that you are in high school, and perhaps a big knot plays well there as suits are already a bit of an anomaly, but in the real world, I find that people look askance at those who where such conspicuous knots as a very triangular half Windsor. Remember that Windsor wore a four-in-hand.
I agree with you there, but you certainly could have said that civilly. I apologize for being rude myself, but there's been a good number of trolls on this board in the last few months. When I see a single-digit number of posts plus those kind of comments... well, you do the math. Personally, I think there's a problem if a guy takes more than an hour to dress every day to work or takes the time to make more than one peak on a pocket square. But that's me. I prefer simplicity and nonchalance in one's look.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fran
JML: I mean this in the best possible way. I see that you are in high school, and perhaps a big knot plays well there as suits are already a bit of an anomaly, but in the real world, I find that people look askance at those who where such conspicuous knots as a very triangular half Windsor. Remember that Windsor wore a four-in-hand.
I hardly ever tie a large knot it's just that I have a big head and a small knot looks silly. I find that a FIH unless you have a point collar looks sloppy.
I don't like a huge knot like the NFL folks wear but, I like a decent siZe knot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads