• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
by ur logic, all golf coaches are playing as well as tiger wood and all movie critics could produce and direct better than spielberg. that, sir, is what i call marsupialed.

i do like that cbf attitude; its the key element of style. there are only few waywt posters that are, imo, stylish individuals, including u. lots of waywt pictures with average joes looking good tho.

being overrated on the forum doesn't mean you are not dressing well, just the swarming compliments u received from blinded forum followers are overrated. just like high school prom king/queen, its more of a popularity contest to be overrated on this forum. and you won a spot.

But on a "style forum" it's very relevant when someone (and I'm not necessarily referring to you, but to anyone in general) has an opinion on another's look. for example, someone who normally dresses "trad" having issues with someone that dresses "designer" is akin to a tennis coach critiquing a basketball player.

As I said, I don't even disagree with your opinion, I was just a bit put off by the fact that you seemed to single me out for some reason, personal or otherwise. But I suppose I should take that as a compliment

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by ur logic, all golf coaches are playing as well as tiger wood and all movie critics could produce and direct better than spielberg. that, sir, is what i call marsupialed.

i do like that cbf attitude; its the key element of style. there are only few waywt posters that are, imo, stylish individuals, including u. lots of waywt pictures with average joes looking good tho.

being overrated on the forum doesn't mean you are not dressing well, just the swarming compliments u received from blinded forum followers are overrated. just like high school prom king/queen, its more of a popularity contest to be overrated on this forum. and you won a spot.

I don't usually compliment anybody on WAYWT thread,but getsmart is one of the best dressed members.If you think it is overrated,you should indeed be able to tell why it is overrated.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
manton
In the interest of full disclosure, I find Manton incredibly well versed in the sartorial arts and a veritable font of useful information. I've never found him to be excessively doctrinaire about "The Rules." His position usually is one that takes the form, This is the rule, based upon years of generally agreed upon wisdom. If you choose to disregard it, fine. And, to me he'll always be a Style Forum god if only for the folded-up shirt thread. That's some fantastic ****.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
But on a "style forum" it's very relevant when someone (and I'm not necessarily referring to you, but to anyone in general) has an opinion on another's look. for example, someone who normally dresses "trad" having issues with someone that dresses "designer" is akin to a tennis coach critiquing a basketball player.

As I said, I don't even disagree with your opinion, I was just a bit put off by the fact that you seemed to single me out for some reason, personal or otherwise. But I suppose I should take that as a compliment

its not personal.

o·ver·rate /ˌoʊvərˈreɪt/
-verb (used with object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.
to rate or appraise too highly; overestimate:

Originally Posted by forex
I don't usually compliment anybody on WAYWT thread,but getsmart is one of the best dressed members.If you think it is overrated,you should indeed be able to tell why it is overrated.

i dont disagree with you on the view of getsmart being well dressed.

but your (and his other fanboy's) support is the reason, imo, that getsmart's waywt pix r overrated.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
This is too easy. First, there's way too much attention to fit, and especially the degree to which fit is more important than quality or just sporting a storied label.

Styleforum also overrates photography skills. Natural light, clean your mirror, tripod, BAH HUMBUG. You can't see the details? Use your imagination for crissakes.

Styleforum also overrates buying on discount. You want the item, pay full retail I say.

Finally, Styleforum overrates wit. This is not a comedy forum. Everyone tries way too hard to be funny. People should tell it like is and leave well enough alone.

For the record, this was a joke. A satire if you well. I thought it was plenty obvious
confused.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
In the interest of full disclosure, I find Manton incredibly well versed in the sartorial arts and a veritable font of useful information. I've never found him to be excessively doctrinaire about "The Rules." His position usually is one that takes the form, This is the rule, based upon years of generally agreed upon wisdom. If you choose to disregard it, fine.

Yep.

- B

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aportnoy's shoe collection. i mean i know there are at least a few duds in there
wink.gif

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is seriously overdue
Now strap yourselves in
devil.gif

1. Watches that seem to have been lifted from the kitchen of a submarine

2. Watches that are the size of a hockey puck

3. Cordovan anything

4. Infatuation with G&G no matter how funky the shapes

5. " Must-have" styles by AE and Alden

6. Itailians-don't-make-conservative-looking-shoes orthodoxy

7. Infatuation with Oxxford no matter the styled by Patrick Buchanan aspect

8. Infatuation with that whole Neopolitan style thing

9. Flat metal objects attached to the soles of shoes

10. Extra desirability bonus automatically awarded to the more hard-to-find Italian makers (AM, Marinella, Barba, Fray and so on)

11. Anna Hathaway who (bosom aside) apparently makes Paris Hilton look like Sofia Kovalevskaya

lpresq

Reaction score
Bespoke suits.....99.999% of tailors will botch the job. The end result: 1) A costly, yet poor fitting suit; and 2) Frustration.

Perhaps, those, who venture into bespoke would be better served by opting for an OTR Zegna, Canali, or Valentino, as each generally fits well and requires few alterations.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
In the interest of full disclosure, I find Manton incredibly well versed in the sartorial arts and a veritable font of useful information. I've never found him to be excessively doctrinaire about "The Rules." His position usually is one that takes the form, This is the rule, based upon years of generally agreed upon wisdom. If you choose to disregard it, fine.

And, to me he'll always be a Style Forum god if only for the folded-up shirt thread. That's some fantastic ****.

+1000.

As a relative newbie to SF, I have often found Manton's advice to be to the point and very useful. I have never seen him proselytize or put down people's tastes.

If anything, I find him to be surprisingly humble and even handed when it comes to things, especially considering the fact that he is definitely an authority on the subject of style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics