• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sterlingwear Peacoats $75.00!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which ones are somewhat slim fitting? Should I size down? http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...t=sterlingwear looks like that has the answer, but there are other brands too that I'm not familiar with. My chest measures ~40" but I wear a 38R now, so maybe I'll get a 36R in the sterlingwear. The site seems to be out of the most common sizes. Where else do you buy sterlingwear?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vidi

Reaction score
I was recently at the local Army/Navy surplus and tried on a Navy pea coat in 40L, which is my usual jacket size. When people write about these being slim for their size, they aren't kidding. It fit very snugly, and I was wearing just a normal dress shirt with an undershirt. I'd have felt quite constricted sizing down, although maybe this isn't everyone's experience. I didn't notice who the manufacturer of the coat was, by the way; I remember a tag saying 40L, Issue: 1, and so forth, but not mentioning a brand.

I hadn't realized until I tried this on that Navy issue pea coats are now made with something like an 80% wool 20% synthetic "melton" shell. Does anyone know if this is done for durability or rainproofing, or if it's strictly a cost-cutting measure? Would people recommend shying away from contemporary Navy-issue coats and either looking for vintage coats or picking up a "civilian" pea coat to get 100% wool?

Regardless, at $75 for a new coat, I'm considering grabbing one of these for everyday wear and then perhaps looking around for a more elegant one if I feel like it later.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sizing experience generally runs counter to the SF norms. I agree that RL dress shirts, for instance, are incredibly full through the body, but I find their sweaters to fit much more snugly while everyone else calls them huge. Maybe sizes run truer as they get larger? I'm 6'-0, 200 lbs and generally wear a size 44 or large. I grabbed a Sterlingwear coat in 46. We'll see. It will fit or it won't. If I return it for a refund the experiment will have cost me $17.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 38R and I just bought a 36R peacoat in the charcoal off sterlingwear's website. We'll see....

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vidi
I was recently at the local Army/Navy surplus and tried on a Navy pea coat in 40L, which is my usual jacket size. When people write about these being slim for their size, they aren't kidding. It fit very snugly, and I was wearing just a normal dress shirt with an undershirt. I'd have felt quite constricted sizing down, although maybe this isn't everyone's experience. I didn't notice who the manufacturer of the coat was, by the way; I remember a tag saying 40L, Issue: 1, and so forth, but not mentioning a brand.

I hadn't realized until I tried this on that Navy issue pea coats are now made with something like an 80% wool 20% synthetic "melton" shell. Does anyone know if this is done for durability or rainproofing, or if it's strictly a cost-cutting measure? Would people recommend shying away from contemporary Navy-issue coats and either looking for vintage coats or picking up a "civilian" pea coat to get 100% wool?

Regardless, at $75 for a new coat, I'm considering grabbing one of these for everyday wear and then perhaps looking around for a more elegant one if I feel like it later.

The blend is for durability/appearance. US Navy still has 100% wool uniforms, but the peacoat is a working jacket that sailors wear while handling lines and doing other tasks that are dirty and subject to extreme wear. They also have very limited storage space for uniform items and a peacoat could easily spend its off-hours folded in a coffin locker under a bed or rolled and stored in a duffle bag.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I wear a 38R and I just bought a 36R peacoat in the charcoal off sterlingwear's website. We'll see....

where do you see the charcoal version in a 36R? Did you buy the Sterlingwear one? I only see black. I am looking for a charcoal one in 36R as well.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
My sizing experience generally runs counter to the SF norms. I agree that RL dress shirts, for instance, are incredibly full through the body, but I find their sweaters to fit much more snugly while everyone else calls them huge. Maybe sizes run truer as they get larger? I'm 6'-0, 200 lbs and generally wear a size 44 or large. I grabbed a Sterlingwear coat in 46. We'll see. It will fit or it won't. If I return it for a refund the experiment will have cost me $17.

Before you send it back, if it doesn't fit, drop me a line. I tried to get one, but they are all sold out of any size between 42 and 46. Maybe I'll take it from you and save you the 10% restocking fee.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads