• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sterilize a Shaving Brush?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got my first shaving brush last November and love using it. My question is, should I be doing something to sterilize it every few months? It occurred to me that you are rubbing it next to your face every other day. Even coated in shaving soap/cream it's bound to still be picking up oils and dirt that may not fully wash away when you wash it off when finished. Sounds like it could be a long term bacteria hazard to me.
blush.gif

Any thoughts or tips on how to sterilize it?

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good folks at Classic Shaving would know this...send them your inquiry! FWIW I used one for two years (before recently acquiring a new one) and I never cleaned it aside from a complete rinse after every use.

celticgent

Reaction score
hopefully you bought a nice Badger brush.

If so, I wouldn't worry about it. Badgers are so badass that their hair has the natural ability to kill bacterium upon contact. You've seen what Badgers can do to snakes, imagine what they can do to smaller creatures.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't really think you can sterilize a brush w/o ruining it. If you bought it new I wouldn't worry.

Do clean it every once in a while, to remove the soap scum that has built up on the hairs.

I swish mine around in a mug with warm water and a dollop of shampoo, let it set for half an hour, rinse, then let swish it around in a mug of warm water, splash of vinegar (to remove any leftover soap scum), and a drop or two of vegetable glycerin (to keep the brush soft). Let that set for half an hour, then rinse, buff against a towel, and hang to dry.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not a super nice one, but it's badger hair. It was part of a free sample pack from Art of Shaving. I m going to replace it with a full size one soon, but this is working for now.

I actually rinse it out with hot water every time I use it, but I figured that can't get everything...

I'll try that website recommended and try a little vinegar too. Sure I may be a little paranoid, but I can't be the only one to ever question this.
blush.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celticgent
hopefully you bought a nice Badger brush.

If so, I wouldn't worry about it. Badgers are so badass that their hair has the natural ability to kill bacterium upon contact. You've seen what Badgers can do to snakes, imagine what they can do to smaller creatures.

Sigged.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about sterlizing, but I will occasionally give my really good brush a chance to dry out for a couple of days and use my not-as-good brush in its stead.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no need to sterilize anything. (sanitized would be the proper term but thats neither here nor there) Just rinse it with hot water, shake it out really good and leave it somewhere thats got some air flowing around (not in a drawer eg). I leave mine upright underneath a little lamp. The small heat from the lamp helps evaporate any water left behind.

Basically you are overthinking this/germaphobic.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Everything I've read about shaving brushes indicated that they were self-cleaning with proper use. I'd say spend your time cleaning something else.

Monaco

Reaction score
If you want a free and natural alternative to sterilization. Just pee on it, urine is proven to be anti-viral, anti-bacterial and 100% sterile.

Good Luck.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
no need to sterilize anything. (sanitized would be the proper term but thats neither here nor there) Just rinse it with hot water, shake it out really good and leave it somewhere thats got some air flowing around (not in a drawer eg). I leave mine upright underneath a little lamp. The small heat from the lamp helps evaporate any water left behind.

Basically you are overthinking this/germaphobic.

lol8[1].gif
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to call me germaphobic.
lol8[1].gif

Honestly, I'm not. I was just curious more then anything else if there was a best practice for cleaning these things.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I soak it in the same boiling water I use for a hot towel wrap, so pretty much every time right before my shave.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
If you want a free and natural alternative to sterilization. Just pee on it, urine is proven to be anti-viral, anti-bacterial and 100% sterile.

Good Luck.

thats not really true. It may be so in the bladder but once it leaves your body it will pick up all kinds of nasties hanging out on the meatus (your peepee hole)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads