• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stephan Schneider Styleforum Preorders are now open until noon, February 3.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It would be really great if there were some sizing suggestions or measurements for all the pieces that don't require you to know your size in other possibly idiosyncratic pieces ... I own no Schneider at all, so knowing that this season's foo is slimmer than last season's bar is not useful. Some people in the Schneider thread have dropped a few hints, but (speaking as a newb) it's kind of alienating to have to hunt for that kind of info.

Could you give us some details (height/weight) and your preferred measurements (e.g., 18" shoulder 20" chest for outerwear...) and we can chime in if we are similarly sized and let you know what we wear. Schneider thread might help with this too.

We're here to be codependent with you!

Edit: I can work this in reverse of course, on the off chance it's helpful: I'm about 6' and typically go with outerwear with a 18.5" to 19" shoulder and 22/23" chest half measure. I wear a size V in SS sweaters and coats.

The one size V shirt I've tried didn't work so well for me. Just not a comfortable cut. I feel as if the way SS designs outwear is a little more forgiving.

Can't speak to trousers. Never tried them.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, I might get the thinner in that. What is the fabric weight like? And any sizing advice? I'm a 5/6, the rock and algae I took 6s, my bust is 41-42in (meaty lats haha)
The fabric weight is midweight. I did not bring a scale and calipers, so I'm not prepared to swear to it, but the material felt like 12-14 ounces. Not heavy, but definitely jacket weight. The jacket is partially lined with a knit too, with a knit on the inside upper chest, like so:

This is a small 38 EU dude wearing the size IV:

You are bigger than me by a little bit, irrc, and you have a fair bit of muscle mass through the shoulders as well. If you just went up one size from the model (wearing a size IV) it's going to be pretty tight. I would go for a VI in this particular instance, I think. The coats are, ime, roomier than the jackets, which fit quite slim.

-

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you give us some details (height/weight) and your preferred measurements (e.g., 18" shoulder 20" chest for outerwear...) and we can chime in if we are similarly sized and let you know what we wear. Schneider thread might help with this too.

We're here to be codependent with you!

6' and actually 18" shoulder 20" chest is about spot on (could go a narrower on either but not much). 33 waist, though (alas) that may be going up.

Don't get me wrong, whenever I've asked a specific sizing question people have been helpful, and that's great. It just seems so weird to me that asking is necessary---this information is surely at least as important as the composition!

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fabric weight is midweight. I did not bring a scale and calipers, so I'm not prepared to swear to it, but the material felt like 12-14 ounces. Not heavy, but definitely jacket weight. The jacket is partially lined with a knit too, with a knit on the inside upper chest, like so: This is a small 38 EU dude wearing the size IV: You are bigger than me by a little bit, irrc, and you have a fair bit of muscle mass through the shoulders as well. If you just went up one size from the model (wearing a size IV) it's going to be pretty tight. I would go for a VI in this particular instance, I think. The coats are, ime, roomier than the jackets, which fit quite slim. -
Haha yeah I'm an inch shorter and I think 7 lbs heavier
1f613.png

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

6' and actually 18" shoulder 20" chest is about spot on (could go a narrower on either but not much). 33 waist, though (alas) that may be going up.

Don't get me wrong, whenever I've asked a specific sizing question people have been helpful, and that's great. It just seems so weird to me that asking is necessary---this information is surely at least as important as the composition!

I hear you. Measurements are helpful when they're available.

I don't know if you've had a look at NMWA's Schneider selection, but they do have good measurements for many of their pieces. For example, the Memory coat here is probably a good proxy for the Film: http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/memory-coat-in-night-rich-navy-wool.html

NMWA is offering it's own preorder as well, of course.

I'm going to guess that a IV in the Film would suit you. Not sure about the Thinner, but LA Guy just addressed that...

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better to wait for items to be in stock somewhere then... kinda tough to get measurements in a showroom when there's only samples being shown.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are nearly same as me - possibly slightly bigger. I would say, size V in the coats, and size V in the jackets if you like a tight to slim fit, and a VI if you like a roomier fit.

You are right, though. I've now put the sizing up on the store as well.

I am often reluctant to give sizing advice unsolicted, because there is no "One size fits all" (see what I did there?) and I would need to know your shape, as well as preferences for fit, to give proper advice.

basil rathbone

Reaction score
How big is that model? 6'0 160ish size 48?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big is that model? 6'0 160ish size 48?
That dudes is more like 6'0", I would guess 150 lbs depending on bone density, and a small size 48. He is very angular though, and shallow chested. I would say that you would fit into the same size as him, based on what you looked like when we met this summer.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better to wait for items to be in stock somewhere then... kinda tough to get measurements in a showroom when there's only samples being shown.
If you are really wary, I would say that that is probably the best option.

The only problem would be the size of the collection. The Schneider collection is enormous. It was in a big space. and I originally thought that I was looking at two or three collections. And that is not to mention all the permutations of fabrics and styles that weren't matched (both No Man and Styleforum chose things that were not sampled). While it's possible that you'll be able to find something in the preorders during the regular season, it's fairly unlikely for some combinations that are up for preorder now. That goes for No Man, Suspension Point, etc... but moreso for us, since we won't be carrying regular stock.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First post has been updated. We are going to be offering just six options with our core choice of fabrics (we have 2 garments (Thinner jacket and Oil coat) in the navy with the colorful reverse side, and 2 in the blue grey wool (thinner jacket and the Film Coat), the Film coat in the navy box weave, just because it looked so sharp, and finally, the pants, because they are pretty excellent.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to show you guys two things. The first pictures show is the ribbing on the collar and the cuffs of the "Thinner" jacket. The third is a detailed shot of the navy melange that we've opted to use on Styleforum's version of the Thinner jacket, which will make for a somewhat softer look overall, while retaining the sharpness and simplicity of the cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads