• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a job with a business professional dress code. Anything I should do or avoid?

Reaction score
I don’t recommend wearing a tie without a jacket, no matter what everybody else does. You risk looking like a mobile phone salesman at a mall kiosk, or like you’re catering the lunch on the executive suite.

One exception might be when sitting at your own desk working, go ahead and take off your jacket. But even then I would put it on when moving around the office (meetings etc).

That’s probably way out of touch with today’s reality and just my opinion. But I am absolutely convinced that my own career advancement was at least partly due to the fact that I dressed well, every day. Because I’m damn sure I wasn’t smarter than the other employees.

Hmmmh I didn't know what about the jacket. I just assumed if other people had it off I could have it off. But I guess I get the salesman vibe haha.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmmh I didn't know what about the jacket. I just assumed if other people had it off I could have it off. But I guess I get the salesman vibe haha.
You can certainly do as your colleagues do if that’s the office norm. I just personally think a shirt and tie without a jacket looks like you forgot something when you left home that morning. Or maybe left it hanging in the men’s room stall?

rjc149

Reaction score
Given that you must respect a dress code, but that you are not in a front-office, client-facing role, you don't need a really nice suit and Allen Edmonds. I consider these to be investment pieces, wardrobe items that are intended to last a long time and convey a level of professionalism and elegance to people who are entrusting you with their financial assets or legal freedom. Unless you want high end dress clothing or you move to a role which obligates them, your money is better spent elsewhere.

You will be perfectly well-served by getting a decent suit or two at Joseph A Bank. Anything in the Signature lines are good, serviceable suits and you will always find them on sale in the $300-800 range, depending on the line. Many of my beginner suits were JAB after my Hugo Boss suits fell apart, and I still have 2 made-to-measure JAB suits in my rotation, still going strong 5 years later with once/week wear.

Classic menswear fashionistas like to **** on JAB but the reality is that JAB serves its purpose and target demographic extremely well -- beginner suits, or nicer suits for occasional event wear. The higher end lines (Signature Platinum) would be appropriate on a banker or lawyer as a mid-week office suit, but they aren't included in JAB's (in)famous promos.

As for shoes, a JAB retail store will also carry Johnston and Murphy, Cole Hahn or Joseph Abboud which are all perfectly good dress shoes for, again, beginner outfits or occasional event wear and shouldn't run you more than $200 for a pair.

rjc149

Reaction score
Faux pas to avoid:

1. Mismatched belt and shoe color
2. Dark shirts, especially with a lighter color tie
3. Suspenders
4. Your suit, shirt, and tie all patterned. 2 of 3 should be patterned or plain.
5. Banker/contrast collars
6. Skinny lapels
7. Skinny ties
8. Brand logos on anything
9. Capri-cut trousers which show your socks when standing
10. "Fun" socks
11. Black suits
12. Windsor knots with button-down collars

tonybolero

Reaction score
This might be unhelpful but do you really need a full suit? I’m mean you’re a creative professional, not a lawyer. That alone should give you the opportunity to wear something more relaxed. It could still be smart.

– But, if you really have to wear a suit or a sportcoat perhaps you should choose something with a hint of stretch because I would imagine that you have to move around when doing the work. A standard suit would probably drive you insane after awhile.

Reaction score
This might be unhelpful but do you really need a full suit? I’m mean you’re a creative professional, not a lawyer. That alone should give you the opportunity to wear something more relaxed. It could still be smart.

– But, if you really have to wear a suit or a sportcoat perhaps you should choose something with a hint of stretch because I would imagine that you have to move around when doing the work. A standard suit would probably drive you insane after awhile.

I haven't visited here for a while but I did start this week. Yeah I am expected to wear business professional, so basically suit, on days where I shoot or when clients are scheduled to come in. On days not like that, slacks/dress shirt/tie is alright so I guess a bit more relaxed but not by much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads