• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starting a job with a business professional dress code. Anything I should do or avoid?

Reaction score
I am videographer/filmmaker and I was never expecting to have a job wearing a suit and tie... but I just started job full time at a law firm where I do their deposition videography/marketing/advertising, and the dress code is business professional. Suits are required if filming the depositions or if clients are in, although people were dressed down with just dress clothes and ties when I was in.

Anyone have any tips? Advice? Wardrobe guidance? Every job I've done so far has been pretty much jeans and polos... if that. I never once thought I would have suit and tie job. Any faux pas to avoid?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple -- navy or mid-grey wool suit, single-breasted notch lapel 2-button (or "3-roll-2") jacket. Pale blue shirt, dark brown shoes.

Where do you live, what is your budget, and what is your height/weight? If you know your chest and waist measurements that would also be helpful to understand whether you're likely to have good results with ready-to-wear.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll obviously need at least one suit but would be better off with two or three. @breakaway01 has covered the basics there. Being that you're expected to wear a tie, you may be able to wear separates: odd jacket, trousers, tie, nice shoes however it would be best to get a taste of the culture at this firm before taking that step. I'd buy at least two suits, dress shirts (white or blue), some ties, and two sets of dress shoes. If you find that the firm allows you to wear separates, you can branch out and acquire some of those later.

blacktaro

Reaction score
First thing is to observe what your teammate are wearing. When starting out, it is better to blend in and you want people to pay attention to your works, not your style.

Starting out wardrobe I think would be suitable per your description, starting from here and venture into other pieces few months later when you know what would fit your office culture:
- A navy/ charcoal worsted suit
- A navy jacket in weave that does not scream orphaned jacket (hopsack, honeycomb, etc.)
- Few white/light blue shirt with medium spread collar or button down (if you are in the US)
- A thin striped shirt just to make thing not boring
- A long sleeve polo shirt (with buttoned cuff of course) if your office has casual Friday
- A pair of medium grey worsted/ flannel trousers depends on your location
- A pair of beige chinos
- Solid grenadine tie

Reaction score
Keep it simple -- navy or mid-grey wool suit, single-breasted notch lapel 2-button (or "3-roll-2") jacket. Pale blue shirt, dark brown shoes.

Where do you live, what is your budget, and what is your height/weight? If you know your chest and waist measurements that would also be helpful to understand whether you're likely to have good results with ready-to-wear.

Okay this seems like a solid start. I live in Texas, 149lbs 5'9''. Will actually need to measure my chest and waist. I am kind of a twig, and I know in the past often times dress clothes are super baggy.

Is one suit enough? Unfortunately I don't really know how often I'll be going out or clients will be in...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're anticipating having to wear a suit only once or twice a week (or less), you can definitely get by with just one to start.

Your measurements don't sound extreme -- I am 5'10" 145 lb myself. I'd try RTW first. Guessing you'd fit in 36R or 38R. If you have a decent physical store where you live (e.g. Brooks Brothers), I'd try that first to get a sense of sizing before trying to buy online.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree your first suit should be brick & mortar. 1 suit to start with 2 different shirts and 2-4 ties. Don't exclude places that get a bad rep here (Mens warehouse, Jos Bank) - spending $1000+ on a suit, $400 on shoes, $100 per tie, $125 per shirt just because people on this forum that have been building their wardrobes for years/decades say you need to isn't necessarily true. If you were a lawyer at the firm it would be different. If you've got $3k to spend on a suit and the accessories to go with it. But, don't go overboard from the get-go until you learn a bit more about how often you'll be wearing suits and, frankly, how long you think you'll stay working for the firm - probably not a lot of other videographer positions will require you to wear suits. And, as you say, what people actually wore didn't match what you were told you had to do. So, get a suit in your budget, just plan a bit extra to have it tailored. Getting the proper adjustments made so it looks good on your body will make a $400 suit look a lot better on you than a $1200 suit that isn't properly tailored.

Reaction score
I agree your first suit should be brick & mortar. 1 suit to start with 2 different shirts and 2-4 ties. Don't exclude places that get a bad rep here (Mens warehouse, Jos Bank) - spending $1000+ on a suit, $400 on shoes, $100 per tie, $125 per shirt just because people on this forum that have been building their wardrobes for years/decades say you need to isn't necessarily true. If you were a lawyer at the firm it would be different. If you've got $3k to spend on a suit and the accessories to go with it. But, don't go overboard from the get-go until you learn a bit more about how often you'll be wearing suits and, frankly, how long you think you'll stay working for the firm - probably not a lot of other videographer positions will require you to wear suits. And, as you say, what people actually wore didn't match what you were told you had to do. So, get a suit in your budget, just plan a bit extra to have it tailored. Getting the proper adjustments made so it looks good on your body will make a $400 suit look a lot better on you than a $1200 suit that isn't properly tailored.

Thanks! Yeah I feel like this forum may have sort of high standards... which is great that is why I posted... but I also don't want break the bank going over the top. I was hoping to go as least-expensive as possible, while still looking professional and feeling comfortable (I have never been super comfortable in suit/ties/dress clothes so this will be a new experience).

From talking with my future boss, I should plan on wearing a suit whenever I go out to film the depositions or when we have clients in. Rest of the time, just dress clothes and a tie is fine so long as I can throw a suit jacket or blazer on if need if there is an unexpected meeting.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think there are enough good local clothiers anymore for most people to walk into a store and buy a suit. I can't think of one even in San Francisco, a relatively large US city.

If you're a standard size, and it sounds like you are, I would try Spier & Mackay, No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line, and The Armoury's Model 3. All three should fit you. Buy suits in two sizes and see which fits you best. You can post photos here for feedback.

Get a suit that's navy or grey. Then get a white dress shirt, dark simple tie, and a pair of black or brown oxfords from the same store.

It can also be a challenge to find a local tailor who can do good alterations.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with others; keep it simple.

one navy suit
One charcoal suit
3-4 shirts
3-4 ties

that will give you around 30 combinations.

Work is not where you want to be a fashionista.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't skimp on the shoes!!!!! You don't need to go Crockett & Jones handgrade, but don't go glued together in China mall shoes either. Best bang for the buck will probably be catching an Allen Edmonds sale when there's some good discounts on the Park Avenues. To start, one black and one dark brown. Learn how to polish and care for them (SHOE TREES GOD DAMNIT), and they'll last you for a couple of decades. Good shoes will absolutely elevate a modest--but well fitting---suit. Bad shoes will drag the best Savile Row bespoke down to their level.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You use the term “dress clothes” several times as apart from suits and ties, and I don’t know what you mean by that. Maybe it’s new corporate jargon for some office style? (I don’t work in an office.) Office casual? People used to “dress for dinner” (black or white tie) but I don’t think that’s what you mean. Nor could you be referring to military dress.

Whatever it is, stick with suits and ties. They may seem uncomfortable at first for a newbie, but after a while they become like a second skin, assuming they are properly tailored. I wear them every day, under camera lights in a TV studio. I never give it a moment’s thought.

Reaction score
You use the term “dress clothes” several times as apart from suits and ties, and I don’t know what you mean by that. Maybe it’s new corporate jargon for some office style? (I don’t work in an office.) Office casual? People used to “dress for dinner” (black or white tie) but I don’t think that’s what you mean. Nor could you be referring to military dress.

Whatever it is, stick with suits and ties. They may seem uncomfortable at first for a newbie, but after a while they become like a second skin, assuming they are properly tailored. I wear them every day, under camera lights in a TV studio. I never give it a moment’s thought.

I was using "dress clothes" kind of as short hand for just dress pants/shirt/tie. That's what everyone was wearing when I was in. If I am not going out or there isn't a scheduled meeting, I am allowed to wear that so long as I have blazer or jacket on hand to throw on just in case.

Good to know I'll eventually get comfortable, I feel kind of awkward dressing up so far, but i am also pretty new to it.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was using "dress clothes" kind of as short hand for just dress pants/shirt/tie. That's what everyone was wearing when I was in. If I am not going out or there isn't a scheduled meeting, I am allowed to wear that so long as I have blazer or jacket on hand to throw on just in case.

Good to know I'll eventually get comfortable, I feel kind of awkward dressing up so far, but i am also pretty new to it.
I don’t recommend wearing a tie without a jacket, no matter what everybody else does. You risk looking like a mobile phone salesman at a mall kiosk, or like you’re catering the lunch on the executive suite.

One exception might be when sitting at your own desk working, go ahead and take off your jacket. But even then I would put it on when moving around the office (meetings etc).

That’s probably way out of touch with today’s reality and just my opinion. But I am absolutely convinced that my own career advancement was at least partly due to the fact that I dressed well, every day. Because I’m damn sure I wasn’t smarter than the other employees.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your clothes fit well, they should be comfortable. Feeling a little awkward to start isn't a bad thing. Like the rest of us, you may grow to enjoy dressing this way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads