• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stand-up Comedy: It's gotten dirtier, but has it gotten funnier?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
I mean the bit that they took from the movie Office Space & beating up the fax machine & flipped it with Brian & Stewie was awesome!

No, it was lame. That show has gone the way of the Simpsons in my opinion. Fox somehow manages to ruin everything.

Patrician

Reaction score
No one heard of stand-up comedian Jim Jeffries from Australia? Holy ****.

NSFW
Youtube him and you'll laugh for hours, if not days.

But beware, he swears A LOT.

...very unintelligent jokes, a lot of sex jokes...

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Seriously. Family Guy might be stupid and at some times not funny, but it isn't any dirtier than the Simpsons.

Much dirtier, far more sexual innuendos, probably a **** reference per episode and pedophilia every other episode. The Simpson do not go that far and if on occasion they do it is not as regular. FG in general plays off of shock value and the current beleif that being simply anti pc is funny.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
No, it was lame. That show has gone the way of the Simpsons in my opinion. Fox somehow manages to ruin everything.

But you saw it anyway?

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
But you saw it anyway?

Unfortunately. This season is the breaking point for me. I catch episodes here and there if there's nothing better on, but I don't make an active effort to watch the show anymore.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The embarrassment response is similar to the laugh response so it is easy for comedians to start with one and slide into the other.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
What about Eddie Murphy?

He was one of the dirtiest comedians, even by todays standards. Red Foxx was nearly as dirty back in the 60's.

There are few comedians out there like Bill Cosby who can tell clean stories for 90 minutes and keep folks laughing.
My kids love that Jeff Dunham. He's pretty clean but I just don't find him all that funny.

I do think Chris Rock is funny, with or without the language.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Unfortunately. This season is the breaking point for me. I catch episodes here and there if there's nothing better on, but I don't make an active effort to watch the show anymore.

I can actually understand that. I think this season like with a lot of shows went over the top a bit & is not as creative as it once was. And most of what comes on is the re-runs anyway.

oceans11

Reaction score
[QUOTE
I do think Chris Rock is funny, with or without the language.[/quote]

Yeah I think "Kill the Messenger" had a few f bombs that just weren't needed in his routine. Maybe I just didn't notice them in "Bring the Pain" or "Big Ass Jokes" but I still think those first 2 HBO specials were his best!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads