• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square-toed shoes

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Jcusey. This is true description true for both blake stitched shoes and for the channelling on Goodyear welted shoes, such as C&J Handgrade?
Yes. The only difference is that on Blake-constructed shoes, the stitching goes through the insole while on Goodyear-welted shoes, it goes through the welt. The channel would have to go further in from the edge of the sole on Blake-constructed shoes, obviously, but it's the same idea.

BGW

Reaction score
I presume that the waterproofing benefit would not exist for goodyear welted shoes, as the seam does not protrude into the sole. Why then is channelling desirable?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I presume that the waterproofing benefit would not exist for goodyear welted shoes, as the seam does not protrude into the sole. Why then is channelling desirable?
Well, it will delay the abrasion of the sole stitching, although it's mostly for visual appeal.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But the added visual appeal is on the bottom of the shoe?
Sure. Why do you think the best shoemakers lavish so much effort on the finishing and polishing the sole of the shoe? I don't want the shoe to be a work of art on top and a piece of junk underneath. People see the soles of your shoes all the time. More importantly for me, I see the soles of my shoes all the time.

BGW

Reaction score
Oh, I don't doubt the significance of channelling. I just wanted to make sure it did not relate to the stitching I often see around the outside of the sole visible from above the shoe. What purpose does this serve?

FCS

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is anyone up to ban marc_au / marc37? I'm sure I'm not the only one tired to see his inane postings (and pictures).

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh, I don't doubt the significance of channelling. I just wanted to make sure it did not relate to the stitching I often see around the outside of the sole visible from above the shoe. What purpose does this serve?
Well, that depends on the method used to construct the shoe. If it's a Goodyear-welted shoe, then the stitching attaches the welt strip to the outsole:
goodyear_croquis_us.gif
If it's a Rapid-constructed (or rather, a Blake/Rapid-constructed) shoe, it will lockstitch the topsole to the outsole:
RMConstruction.jpg
Oh, and it's also done for looks.
biggrin.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is anyone up to ban marc_au / marc37? I'm sure I'm not the only one tired to see his inane postings (and pictures).
I'm not unaware of where you're coming from, but I think that it might be better to take it up with j directly if you have a serious problem with another poster.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the best shoemakers lavish so much effort on the finishing and polishing the sole of the shoe? I don't want the shoe to be a work of art on top and a piece of junk underneath. People see the soles of your shoes all the time. More importantly for me, I see the soles of my shoes all the time.

Sweet. Im not the only wierdo on this forum. I suppose that others also add a bit of polish to the soles of their shoes? Specifically, I try to maintain the finish underneath the arch of my foot that doesn't make contact with the ground--e.g. the black portion of the sole in an Edward Green.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sweet. Im not the only wierdo on this forum. I suppose that others also add a bit of polish to the soles of their shoes? Specifically, I try to maintain the finish underneath the arch of my foot that doesn't make contact with the ground--e.g. the black portion of the sole in an Edward Green.
Hey. Who are you calling a wierdo?

The thing about EG (and JL Paris and C&J and Grenson) is that that pretty tan finish on the soles will run and otherwise look like hell if it gets wet. I don't like that one little bit. Vass shoes have a much paler sole staining. I remember when I first got mine, I told Gabor that I preferred the way that EG finished their soles. He responded that Mr. Vass believed that his way was more attractive when the shoes had some wear on them. Well, Mr. Vass is right: the finish on his soles doesn't run when it gets wet.

Edit: And I'm afraid that I've fallen off the wagon since last I commented about how long it had been since I bought new shoes.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Aharris, Jcusey, and RIDER for their support. Â
blush.gif
To some extent Jcusey was right why I don't like Blake - the water issue. Â But that doesn't stop me from buying them (like my new tod's boot - a side elastic with an apron front done in suede). Also, there is the workmanship issue - if there are two shoes that are very similar, I would buy the goodyear over the Blake any day - but again that hasn't stopped me from buying blake lasted shoes (like the beautiful antiqued Barrett). Â I've also been told that you cannot resole blake shoes (?). edit: oh yes - blakes are more flexible than goodyear which is a positive.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've also been told that you cannot resole blake shoes (?).
I don't believe that this is accurate. I've been told that it's much more difficult to find someone who has both the necessary machinery and the necessary skills to do it correctly, but it is possible.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why do you think the best shoemakers lavish so much effort on the finishing and polishing the sole of the shoe? I don't want the shoe to be a work of art on top and a piece of junk underneath. People see the soles of your shoes all the time. More importantly for me, I see the soles of my shoes all the time.

How do people see the soles of your shoes all the time?

I suppose on a technical basis people do if someone happened to be staring at a diagonal angle towards a person in front walking. But that doesn't really justify your statement.

I polish my soles. A la Gloria Swanson. Lattanzi does a beautiful sole as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads