1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Square-toed shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

All quotes by T4phage:
    Somehow, I've heard the same. I think Corneliani is the more 'accessible' suit in the Netherlands, although Borrelli is catching up fast in terms of brand awareness. Thank heavens most people still go to "Suit Supply" or the likes of that.
    Well, phew. And I do try to keep my standards high. I have a way to go, and may not want to go as far as some who frequent the forum, but there is room for (personal) improvement. Hence the 'nickname'.
    And no, I'm not with FIOD, so I don't know a person named Joris. FIOD is part of the Belastingdienst {The american equivalent of FIOD would be the IRS - Criminal Investigation}, which itself is part of the Finance Ministry. I work for the Koninklijke Marechaussee (I mentioned I worked for the Ministry of Defense, didn't I?). I find that has a nicer ring to it than the 'ordinary' police, although it sometimes limits my options and purview. This has to do with jurisdiction, but I digress... FIOD is an option I keep open for future employment, though. MtB

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
    I only ask because I know a "lurker" who checks out this forum and Andy's, who is a partner at Ernst and Young, he mentioned that you may be in FIOD, and that they lost a few people to them.

3. Looking to improve

I see. Well, the hours at the FIOD and the Koninklijke Marechaussee are far better than at E&Y. And I'm not even mentioning the workload. The pay is another story, with one of our ministers announcing no raises this year or the next for all civil servants [​IMG] . MtB By the way, what did you do to your portrait? Has some experiment gone horrible awry? [​IMG]

4. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

All quotes originally posted by Looking to Improve:
    I've heard horror stories from accountants from the big 4 of crazy hours during busy season. Although our scientists sometimes work days in a row (without going home) when we have something important running.

Ouch. ;> I've also heard that some accounting firms are tightening up.

Nah, I just thought an animated picture (a la Alias) would be nice.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thought that was a thread about square-toed shoes. As it obviously has become somewhat Netherlands-specific, can I ask the experts, which brand of Hagelslag is the best? P.S. for those not familiar with this Dutch speciality, Hagelslag (hail storm) are chocolate sprinkles, which the Dutch adore on sandwiches. As nobody outside of the Netherlands shares that particular passion, no self-respecting Dutch person can ever go on holiday abroad without taking their supply of Hagelslag along.

6. Looking to improve

I suppose the conversation went off on a bit of a tangent... In answer to your question, personally I prefer 'De Ruijter' hagelslag, especially the extra dark speciality. I would like to add, that I'm not so addicted that I can't manage a holiday without hagelslag. Wait... Did I just answer a post that was meant to 'subtly' point out that I digressed from the original topic? Point taken. MtB

7. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I often enjoy a chocolate-sprinkle - I'm sorry, Hagelslag sandwich... I had no idea I was so cultured. Â [​IMG] Am I a junk-food addict? No, sir, I am officially a Hagelslag connoisseur...

8. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's what I meant. I did not want to open a thread on Dutch culinary specialities like hagelslag, boerenkool and matjes haring.

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Sorry for hijaking the thread perdone [​IMG] Agree with Looking to Improve, De Ruijter is the best - although I am more partial to blauw en witte Muisjes (blue and white mice..&#33[​IMG] - actually they are sugar coated anis seeds.. Back to the original topic - Square toed shoes = very bad, very bad..

10. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

my apologies labelking, i did not mean to direct that statement to you.

11. Alias

Alias Senior member

This is correct. I hope to get more chisel-toed shoes in the future. But they are oh so expensive...

Everyone makes cheap square-toed shoes, but no one makes cheap chisel-toed shoes. Blargh.

And I do like your avatar. That virus is really putting the beatdown on whatever it's about to invade.

12. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

(T4phage @ 05 July 2004, 09:59) Back to the original topic - Square toed shoes = very bad, very bad..
    This is correct. I hope to get more chisel-toed shoes in the future. But they are oh so expensive... Everyone makes cheap square-toed shoes, but no one makes cheap chisel-toed shoes. Blargh. And I do like your avatar. That virus is really putting the beatdown on whatever it's about to invade.
    And you're all over avatars that really put a beatdown on something, aren't you? [​IMG] The problem with cheap chisel-toe shoes is that they would mix sartorial metaphors. How can you have a shoe with classy lines made out of plastic? No, I'm afraid that you'll have to win the lottery or do like the rest of us in Shoebuyers Anonymous and sell organs (only our own, of course) to finance our shoe habits.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Obviously I certainly don't
    my apologies labelking, i did not mean to direct that statement to you.
    Oh, it was nothing. I was simply making a general statement towards the whole concept of visible soles when crossing one's legs.

14. jcusey

Any method of sitting other than with your feet squarely on the ground renders the soles of your shoes visible to those around you, your snideness notwithstanding.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Originally Posted by LabelKing,05 July 2004, 11:56
    I was simply making a general statement towards the whole concept of visible soles when crossing one's legs.
    Any method of sitting other than with your feet squarely on the ground renders the soles of your shoes visible to those around you, your snideness notwithstanding.
    I don't see how my comment was snide. There was no such implication on my part. Besides that if one were crossing one's legs, and did not move the foot around then the soles would not be visible.

16. jcusey

(jcusey @ 05 July 2004, 10:10)
    I was simply making a general statement towards the whole concept of visible soles when crossing one's legs.
    I don't see how my comment was snide. There was not an intent towards implied patronising. Besides that if one were corssing one's legs, and did not move the foot around then the soles would not be visible.
    It appears that I misread the tone of your comment, and for that I apologize. I've been in a lot of meetings with a lot of people, and I can guarantee you that it takes me less than 15 minutes to know more about the shoes (including the soles) of everyone in the room than they know themselves. That may be a bit of hyperbole, and I may be a bit of a shoe wierdo, but it does contain an essential truth.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It's mostly a contextual thing but I suppose there are a variety of ways that one crosses their legs. [​IMG] For example if someone assumed this posture, and didn't fidget much then the soles would be fairly invisible. That is the late great Helmut Newton by the way.