• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square-toed shoes

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sweet.  Im not the only wierdo on this forum.  I suppose that others also add a bit of polish to the soles of their shoes?
I have been known, to attack water stains on a leather sole with sand paper.

marc37

Reaction score
(BGW @ 03 July 2004, 11:20) But the added visual appeal is on the bottom of the shoe?
Sure. Why do you think the best shoemakers lavish so much effort on the finishing and polishing the sole of the shoe? I don't want the shoe to be a work of art on top and a piece of junk underneath. People see the soles of your shoes all the time. More importantly for me, I see the soles of my shoes all the time.
Soles are extremely important to me. 50% of the reason l buy certain shoes. lf a shoe is beautiful on top but is poorly stitched on the sole, l won't buy them. l have alot more good year welted shoes than blake models because l like to see the stitching under the shoe. Shoes with good year welts give me a warm fuzzy feeling. The bottom of a shoe facinates me; l could look at the bottom of a well worn shoe for hours. Us shoo guys are funny like that.
tounge.gif

marc37

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is anyone up to ban marc_au / marc37? I'm sure I'm not the only one tired to see his inane postings (and pictures).
You will never get me banned mate because there is not enough substance to your opinions and aruments to prove anything of any significance.

Co-incidently: one criticism l do have of this forum is that there is so much correspondance going back and forward, lots of the comments/responses are very inane. Eg, lots of jokes - actually abit of overkill in many places.

MY POINT
There are lots of people who make inane comments on this forum (some even put me to shame). lf you don't like peoples comments: DON"T READ THEM.

Go dob and tell the administrators; you are only making a much bigger fool of yourself. (They will tell you what l already have).

Mate: grow up and get a personality.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a few of the blake lasted orange socked Santonis have a channel sole. The midpart being a beautiful wood green (picture a lightly mossy bark). The sole is really quite nice. Thinking about it, those soles are nicer than some of the orange socked Santonis that are goodyear lasted. btw. for those who don't speak "Oz", to "dob" mean to go and tell..., a word I have not heard since kindergarten sand box fights
wink.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing,04 July 2004, 02:16
How do people see the soles of your shoes all the time?
People sit down and cross their legs, don't they?
Ah, I suppose it has to do with the manner of how one crosses their legs.

SwaG

Reaction score
...i hope you don't make the soles of your shoes visible when you sit down and cross your legs...

Looking to improve

Reaction score
T4phage, Sorry I didn't respond any earlier, but I don't have Internet access during weekends (ancient home pc
confused.gif
). This probably is for the better, although I am trying to save some money for something newer (when I don't have that many pressing clothing-purchases to make
wink.gif
) All quotes by T4phage:
ga weg, ga weg.... (go away go away {for our english speaking members}) Â
biggrin.gif
Well I guess I didn't get hired Â
biggrin.gif
. By the way, what does the word  "audit" do for your heartrate? Â
smile.gif
What happens to the goods that your people seize? Are they auctioned off to pay their debts?
It depends on the sort of stuff we seize. The dangerous stuff is mostly destroyed. The expensive stuff is indeed auctioned off through the Dienst der Domeinen. {The site is in Dutch}. The proceeds are then used to pay off the 'debts'. Just to give an example, and if I recall correctly, the really nice, expensive, cars are auctioned off through their regional center in Bleiswijk (which isn't too far from the Hague). Once in a while Amsterdam has some nice ones too.They also sell loads of junk, probably. I haven't heard of them selling (high-quality) clothes or shoes though. Through the Domeinen-site I think you can download a catalogue. You just don't have to mind a dubious previous owner...
biggrin.gif
. I just never get around to having a look. Besides, I'd rather spend my money on shoes. I have been infected by the Imelda virus
smile.gif
. I even noticed a club on the forum, but I believe I don't qualify for membership (just) yet.
So you are more evil Â
devil.gif
, being an accountant and all Â
smile.gif
Why, yes Â
devil.gif
. AND... I have the fun job.
Don't know, maybe the Borrellis/Brionis were older?  But still, the amount of handwork apparent in both should command a higher premium that Isaia even on sale. Maybe you should ask Paul (the bald guy who is the manager of the Oger store in centrum).
I know Paul, he's the guy who measured me for my m-t-m suits and shirts. I'll see if I get around to it when I next visit Oger's. Could one 'brand' be better known than the other?
wow.gif
 Odd indeed.  What I find sad with the economy right now is that many many talented graduates have to find jobs elsewhere or to do something totally different.  The budget for science is suffering, and the new graduates are made to pay.
Well she graduated in about 1997 and rolled into this job straight away. What can I say? I do know she likes it and is trying to get into the tv-world. Well, it keeps her off the streets. Besides, I get the added benefit of once in a while being able to point at a magazine, tv-screen, or what-have-you and say: "Hey, that's my cousin right there.". On a related note in the topic, I'd like to add my 'Vote of confidence' in you. You've been very kind and helpful to me. Is it me or is the forum turning a bit nasty sometimes these days? On an non-related note, perhaps better posted in the socks/shorts thread - but I'm thinking of it now - I hope that my (sometimes) wearing bermuda-shorts doesn't tarnish your opinion of me any further now you know that I'm an 'accounting type'. Â
biggrin.gif
MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All quotes originally posted by Looking to Improve:
Well I guess I didn't get hired . By the way, what does the word "audit" do for your heartrate?
arrythmia.
Through the Domeinen-site I think you can download a catalogue. You just don't have to mind a dubious previous owner... .
But if there are some nice pieces of art...... auction here I come.
I know Paul, he's the guy who measured me for my m-t-m suits and shirts. I'll see if I get around to it when I next visit Oger's. Could one 'brand' be better known than the other?
I don't think that Isaia is more well known here than Kiton or Brioni, actually I read that Corneliani was the first "expensive" Italian suit introduced in the Netherlands.
On a related note in the topic, I'd like to add my 'Vote of confidence' in you. You've been very kind and helpful to me. Is it me or is the forum turning a bit nasty sometimes these days?
Dank je wel.
blush.gif
On an non-related note, perhaps better posted in the socks/shorts thread - but I'm thinking of it now - I hope that my (sometimes) wearing bermuda-shorts doesn't tarnish your opinion of me any further now you know that I'm an 'accounting type'.
Nah....
biggrin.gif
. I wear them, especially when it is boiling hot (I know that is rare here &#33
wink.gif
. Plus I've been to some parties that were held by some accounting types.... by the sounds of it you are dressed better than 99.99% of them. As an aside, are you with FIOD? If so, do you know a person named Joris?

Looking to improve

Reaction score
All quotes by T4phage:
I don't think that Isaia is more well known here than Kiton or Brioni, actually I read that Corneliani was the first "expensive" Italian suit introduced in the Netherlands.
Somehow, I've heard the same. I think Corneliani is the more 'accessible' suit in the Netherlands, although Borrelli is catching up fast in terms of brand awareness. Thank heavens most people still go to "Suit Supply" or the likes of that.
Nah....
biggrin.gif
. Â I wear them, especially when it is boiling hot (I know that is rare here &#33
wink.gif
. Â Plus I've been to some parties that were held by some accounting types.... by the sounds of it you are dressed better than 99.99% of them.
Well, phew. And I do try to keep my standards high. I have a way to go, and may not want to go as far as some who frequent the forum, but there is room for (personal) improvement. Hence the 'nickname'.
As an aside, are you with FIOD? Â If so, do you know a person named Joris?
And no, I'm not with FIOD, so I don't know a person named Joris. FIOD is part of the Belastingdienst {The american equivalent of FIOD would be the IRS - Criminal Investigation}, which itself is part of the Finance Ministry. I work for the Koninklijke Marechaussee (I mentioned I worked for the Ministry of Defense, didn't I?). I find that has a nicer ring to it than the 'ordinary' police, although it sometimes limits my options and purview. This has to do with jurisdiction, but I digress... FIOD is an option I keep open for future employment, though. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
And no, I'm not with FIOD, so I don't know a person named Joris. FIOD is part of the Belastingdienst {The american equivalent of FIOD would be the IRS - Criminal Investigation}, which itself is part of the Finance Ministry. I work for the Koninklijke Marechaussee (I mentioned I worked for the Ministry of Defense, didn't I?). I find that has a nicer ring to it than the 'ordinary' police, although it sometimes limits my options and purview. This has to do with jurisdiction, but I digress... FIOD is an option I keep open for future employment, though.
I only ask because I know a "lurker" who checks out this forum and Andy's, who is a partner at Ernst and Young, he mentioned that you may be in FIOD, and that they lost a few people to them.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
I only ask because I know a "lurker" who checks out this forum and Andy's, who is a partner at Ernst and Young, he mentioned that you may be in FIOD, and that they lost a few people to them.
I see. Well, the hours at the FIOD and the Koninklijke Marechaussee are far better than at E&Y. And I'm not even mentioning the workload. The pay is another story, with one of our ministers announcing no raises this year or the next for all civil servants
angry.gif
. MtB By the way, what did you do to your portrait? Has some experiment gone horrible awry?
biggrin.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All quotes originally posted by Looking to Improve:
...the hours at the FIOD and the Koninklijke Marechaussee are far better than at E&Y. And I'm not even mentioning the workload.
I've heard horror stories from accountants from the big 4 of crazy hours during busy season. Although our scientists sometimes work days in a row (without going home) when we have something important running.

..The pay is another story, with one of our ministers announcing no raises this year or the next for all civil servants .
Ouch. ;> I've also heard that some accounting firms are tightening up.

By the way, what did you do to your portrait? Has some experiment gone horrible awry?
Nah, I just thought an animated picture (a la Alias) would be nice.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought that was a thread about square-toed shoes. As it obviously has become somewhat Netherlands-specific, can I ask the experts, which brand of Hagelslag is the best? P.S. for those not familiar with this Dutch speciality, Hagelslag (hail storm) are chocolate sprinkles, which the Dutch adore on sandwiches. As nobody outside of the Netherlands shares that particular passion, no self-respecting Dutch person can ever go on holiday abroad without taking their supply of Hagelslag along.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads