• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

emptym

Reaction score
Might actually go with the brown herringbone with windowpane. I like bold patterned tweeds with jeans. Otoh, the nice thing about green jackets is that they pair well with the most common pant colors: tans, grays, and blues. You might also consider the classic gray or white and black herringbone. That goes well with chinos and blue jeans, as seen in some of @ethandesu's pics.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 931667 I haven’t done the SC and jeans before but I do recall wearing this in late Nov while away on a conference dinner once. Loved all the ideas on this post though.

This is a near miss for me.

I see that the ‘media’ have been really pushing the ‘roll neck under sports jacket or suit’ look this winter. It’s not a bad look but not really for me although in the interests of full disclosure I live in Florida and have little need of any knitwear ever, much less a roll neck under a jacket!

Anyway it appears you are wearing two visible jumpers here, which is one too many. Also the neck of your roll neck looks really limp and loose. Remember the effect of a roll neck as some comic once said, is supposed to feel like you’re being strangled by a weak midget!

As suggested above, the light may be playing tricks but you want to make sure there’s an obvious contrast between a very light jumper and very light trousers otherwise it looks like you’re wearing a jump suit under your jacket.

The browns (jacket and shoes) look good against the off white jeans for a decent ‘winter white’ outfit. Get yourself a beige slim fitting roll neck and this outfit would really hit the mark.

rdrunner

Reaction score
This is a near miss for me.

I see that the ‘media’ have been really pushing the ‘roll neck under sports jacket or suit’ look this winter. It’s not a bad look but not really for me although in the interests of full disclosure I live in Florida and have little need of any knitwear ever, much less a roll neck under a jacket!

Anyway it appears you are wearing two visible jumpers here, which is one too many. Also the neck of your roll neck looks really limp and loose. Remember the effect of a roll neck as some comic once said, is supposed to feel like you’re being strangled by a weak midget!

As suggested above, the light may be playing tricks but you want to make sure there’s an obvious contrast between a very light jumper and very light trousers otherwise it looks like you’re wearing a jump suit under your jacket.

The browns (jacket and shoes) look good against the off white jeans for a decent ‘winter white’ outfit. Get yourself a beige slim fitting roll neck and this outfit would really hit the mark.

Thanks for input.
That’s what what I had thought then. Either go thin and fitted on the roll neck or something else. I don’t have problem with both at least it was freezing that particular night even indoors. Would’ve loved to have had a chunky turtleneck to keep things simple. Didn’t have one with me. Yeah, the turtleneck was old and on its last legs, inexpensive remnant from days long ago. Funny thing is, just a year ago, I wouldn’t have known that. In fact, I’ve first dabbled into proper attire earlier last year. Don’t really require suiting either work nor socially. Formal attire, even less frequent. I went with a friend shopping for a pair of oxfords, and something must’ve snapped.
Sweater and shirt would’ve been good too but I didn’t have the proper (color)shirt either. Traveling and having just packed light for just an over night, one has to improvise. In fact, jeans and a flannel shirt was the plan and probably more consistent with the large group I was with.
The “media” is so darn pushy aren’t they? Then again, not sure what is or isn’t media anymore. That fine line is so gray. Actually, had it not been for the media, not sure I’ve would’ve found this site.
This thread seems fun and light hearted. It’s good to see imperfect outfits from others as there’s always more to learn and that’s really how it is in the real world. Thought a pic with white would’ve been amusing.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A16DA960-A583-4E5C-A828-8958B7402075.jpeg
DA94CC61-D113-426C-AE09-3407A4EDAA2D.jpeg
5A139B8C-BFA9-43E0-98CF-9B9FAE0EC522.jpeg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless you need to button up for warmth, I think this looks much better with the jacket open.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's the latest attempt after a long absence in trying jeans with sport coats. For some reason I'm usually drawn toward this brown hopsack sport coat when wearing jeans of a medium to dark blue wash. Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know, but it pleases me eye more than a navy blazer and certainly seems better than a green tweed, or the like. Contemplating a gray herringbone sport coat for next time.

dth1.jpg

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest attempt after a long absence in trying jeans with sport coats. For some reason I'm usually drawn toward this brown hopsack sport coat when wearing jeans of a medium to dark blue wash. Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know, but it pleases me eye more than a navy blazer and certainly seems better than a green tweed, or the like. Contemplating a gray herringbone sport coat for next time.

View attachment 935591

I have a darker brown cotton herringbone with almost a moleskin hand Boglioli I wear similarly.

I am not a big fan of navy on denim looks. I am actually starting to arrive at a heretical viewpoint which is for FW, grey herringbone jackets are more useful than navy because of their compatibility with jeans.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, the truth of that proposition depends on how much the individual wears denim in the F/W. But yeah, navy on denim doesn’t usually work for me. Too matchy and not interesting enough. Blue and brown usually works very well together so it’s almost an obvious combo.

winghus

Reaction score
I have a very casual brown cotton Glen plaid sports jacket I wear with jeans occasionally. I also much prefer brown with denim over anything navy.I like green with denim also, but it's usually something like a chore coat or shacket, not something tailored.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That works pretty well, CM

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Details on that jacket and fabric please, I love it.

@Burzan Thanks. The jacket is my first from Sicilian Reserve and it is a W.Bill from 2-3 years ago #34579. I have two in W.Bill Donegal, one in green as well from @ercole. I like that they are a bit more open weave than the Molloy Donegals. I get them 1/4 lined and I can stretch from the early fall through the late spring wearing them.

DL-

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads