1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Sport Coats and Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by An Acute Style, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

That's a great looking jacket @Dave Gieringer

The bow-tie has to go unfortunately. No more hats, no ties with jeans. The vest is borderline. Suggest swapping it out for a sweater. Less is more. Think of it like cooking a great steak - you just need salt, pepper and a little bearnaise to let the quality of the ingredients speak for themselves rather than chucking everything you can find into the pan.

2. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

My thoughts exactly.
    That coat would look great with an OCBD, no tie, and jeans.

3. IEG

IEG Senior Member

BA47DD40-A947-4CB4-BF07-B26FD355116F.jpeg
    Sometimes it’s great throwing everything in the pan. You don’t cook that steak the same way every time do you? I can’t beleive you don’t like the bow tie. I dropped the SC off at the tailor where I picked up a couple of suits. I actually had the SC outfit together to wear this way with the suit. You guys are rough and a little boring sometimes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

4. Blake Stitched Blues

Yeah, I hear you Dave. I'm not trying to be mean and I don't think anyone else on this thread is either. I'm sorry if its coming across that way. It's just that you nearly always have the makings of a great outfit but the execution is never quite right.

A great looking sports jacket, a presentable pair of jeans and kick-ass Indy boots? Looksgreat.jpg. Adding in a vest, point collar shirt and bow-tie on top of all that? Nope. It makes the look seem jumbled and confused with an odd mix of clashing formalities. And it's frustrating, because you're so close to nailing it.

Humour me, if you will. Do you own say a V or crew-neck sweater in a navy or a dark green or burgundy? A light blue OCBD? Put those two on with the jeans, boots and jacket. Wear it for a day and take a picture. Upload it here and compare it with the image above. Call it boring if you must but please, try it.

Also, can you return the suit for the same size but in a long? It's too short. I'm sorry man.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

5. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Actually, I like the bow tie.
    I just don’t like it with jeans.
    It can look good when combined with the right ingredients.
    Think of it this way:
    My son likes Swiss cheese, wasabi, and dill pickles. He put them together and made a sandwich. I asked him how it was and he said “It was the worst thing that I’ve ever made myself eat.”
    Just because we like the ingredients individually doesn’t mean that they would be good put together.

6. IEG

IEG Senior Member

I will most certainly humor you. I’m going to be wearing the same SC tomorrow but differently, I’ll post a pic. Now just so you know I planned to wear it the way I’ll be wearing tomorrow, and I get it, you can always make an outfit look better, I just wear stuff different ways.

7. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Fwiw, I thought the vest and bow tie were OK. Not something I'd wear myself, but not something I'd think poorly of.

But the plaid lining of the jeans, revealed by the cuffs, was the detail that made the whole thing too busy and discordant for me.

Similarly, those boots are too informal for a windowpane suit. Not terrible but not ideal imo. Of course, the jacket is pretty short, which makes it informal and trendy, the kind of thing you'd see in GQ w/ sneakers. So maybe the boots are OK. I like everything else.

8. IEG

IEG Senior Member

I agree with all of that.

9. IEG

IEG Senior Member

True that!
    That said there might be a certain someone out there who likes Swiss cheese, wasabi & dill pickles in a sandwich, not necessarily me, but someone?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018

10. IEG

IEG Senior Member

3D4F7422-08D3-4A42-A752-E9DC45768F80.jpeg
    So here is today’s look. No flotsam & jetsam, hat in hand, clean and easy. Is this more acceptable? This is how I would normally wear a SC and jeans.

11. Blake Stitched Blues

Hmm. We're getting there. Is that a polo-neck sweater? I think I'd like to see the top-button undone. Would you consider ditching the hat for something like a beanie if your head is cold? I've always loved the way the Drakes lookbooks use them to inject a wallop of colour.

[​IMG]

12. Blake Stitched Blues

Speaking of colour, anyone want to help me choose one of these Harris tweeds for a jacket I'm having made up? Unstructured, 3r2, triple patch pockets. Will be worn only with jeans and corduroys. I love the blues but think they may not offer enough contrast.

IMG_5134.JPG

13. wigglr

wigglr Distinguished Member

Top by far. Sometimes I think herringbone and the stripes w cords can be a lot. And I don’t like Blue SC w denim all that much

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

I do mono chromatic with blue a lot but the top(05) would make a nice combo IMO

15. IEG

IEG Senior Member

All good comments, I like them. I was wearing it with the top button undone, but buttoned it for some reason and I have no problem with the beanie, I'm bald so no one is getting me to ditch a hat period, my head is COLD! I wear a hat for functionality more than anything I just attempt to incorporate it into the wardrobe, even in the summer I am trying to keep the sun off of my head.