• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coats and Jeans

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't see a cutaway or semi-spread collar working with jeans.

White OCBDs are always a bit of an odd-duck - formal colour, casual texture. The suggestion of a light blue stripe is a good one - maybe a blue & white university stripe OCBD?

Re the frumpiness, I agree. I do find that pattern takes away the stodge factor quite a bit though. All of my OCBDs are uni-stripes or shades of light to mid-blue gingham.

Last edited:

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
this is technically very very good (maybe perfect?) but feels off to me in some difficult to pin down way. it doesn't excite me at all.

sometimes when i put on an ocbd, i feel like it's very frumpy. other times it feels right at home. when it's feeling frumpy is when i'll go cutaway and it makes me feel better.

I wore this same thing today (the previous picture is from the weekend) except I had a blue/white stripe OCBD, and I think that felt a bit better. I don't wear white OCBDs that often. Wearing a cutaway with denim feels weird to me but I see what you mean.

To that note, @UrbanComposition and I were just having a twitter conversation as to whether this would look better with faded denim. Here's an example of an almost identical getup with faded denim instead:
final-2185.jpg

Wearing faded denim with a SC seems counterintuitive but I don't dislike it as much as I would expect to.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this same thing today (the previous picture is from the weekend) except I had a blue/white stripe OCBD, and I think that felt a bit better. I don't wear white OCBDs that often. Wearing a cutaway with denim feels weird to me but I see what you mean.

To that note, @UrbanComposition and I were just having a twitter conversation as to whether this would look better with faded denim. Here's an example of an almost identical getup with faded denim instead:
final-2185.jpg

Wearing faded denim with a SC seems counterintuitive but I don't dislike it as much as I would expect to.

what color is the jacket?

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
ok. so a bright blue might make a difference then by contrasting cool with warm.
and the faded denim *is an improvement. perhaps for the same reason.

It's definitely lower contrast, too - the original dark denim and white shirt is a lot stronger than the similarly-colored pieces in the second photo.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely lower contrast, too - the original dark denim and white shirt is a lot stronger than the similarly-colored pieces in the second photo.

actually the blue ocbd wasn't my fave either lol. i was just reacting to the denim.

i think it's the jacket that maybe i'm having a hard time virtual-pairing.

anyway, don't take any of this as criticism. just thinking out loud.

EUtroll

Reaction score
actually the blue ocbd wasn't my fave either lol. i was just reacting to the denim.

i think it's the jacket that maybe i'm having a hard time virtual-pairing.

anyway, don't take any of this as criticism. just thinking out loud.

I bought a similar jacket some time ago and have great issues pairing it with anything. The best I've found are some shades of grey and semi-dark denim.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads