1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10 : Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is one of three sets of of Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Sport Coats and Jeans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by An Acute Style, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I only know of people getting jeans hemmed, tapered or taken in at the waist (this last one I don't recommend). Most alteration people (e.g. your local dry cleaner) aren't very well equipped to alter jeans and take shortcuts or don't have the proper thread and sewing machines to make it look "factory". You might want to contact either Standard & Strange in Oakland or Selfedge in SF, LA, Portland or NYC about tailoring a seat.

2. Badenoch

Badenoch Member

I know it can get some hate but I personally like balmorals with jeans.

3. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Watching the Pitti feed from Florence and seeing more tailored tapered jeans than the super tight stretch skinny jeans on the well dressed guys with tailored jackets. The cuff/turnup with a narrow tapered cuff is most popular.

4. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

edit, wrong thread.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

6. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

You can't take them in at the back seam like trousers but a tailor can put darts in the waistband to tighten up the fit at the waist. Have the darts put in on the sides rather than the back and they're pretty much invisible.

7. guarrellam

guarrellam Well-Known Member

8. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

My tailor has cut the waitband and taken them in at the back seam (which gets hidden behind the center back belt loop) and then I’ve worn them into the ground without any ill effects.

9. up1911fan

up1911fan Distinguished Member

Same.

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

Anyone remember when we tailored jeans by wearing a pair of 501s in a hot tub of water and until dried out

11. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member

Suitsupply/Proper Cloth/Equus/Orslow/Grant Stone DSCF0920.jpg

12. brillopad

brillopad Senior Member

Thanks! I was happy with how it turned out. The SC is a large herringbone flannel, which I think works well here. Along with the 60s-style denim and the longwings, I felt like it had a bit of an Ivy vibe to it. As others have said, though, the hardest part to get right is finding the right jeans.

[​IMG]

13. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Last week:

IMG_6866_preview.jpeg

14. mossrockss

mossrockss Distinguished Member

this is technically very very good (maybe perfect?) but feels off to me in some difficult to pin down way. it doesn't excite me at all.

i suspect my reaction is more about my personal preferences than any quantifiable or meaningful critique i could give.

but let me just offer: if i had put this outfit together i think i'd try to up the excitement by doing one or both of the following:
    instead of a button-down collar, go cutaway or at least semi-spread.
    instead of a white shirt, go light blue stripe.

sometimes when i put on an ocbd, i feel like it's very frumpy. other times it feels right at home. when it's feeling frumpy is when i'll go cutaway and it makes me feel better.