• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spending $5k on suits

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
this is so funny. find the fabric, have the tailor measure you, 4-16 weeks later you have something you like, but more importantly FITS. dont spend to much time looking at off the rack stuff unless you are semi-stupid (didnt get a scholarship) and have over 100K in loans.

look, assuming you pass the bar you will be working 12-14 hours a day for at least two years. trust me, your suits (good or bad) will be the last of your worries?

you doing defense or civil?

civil

This post was pretty funny.

Richard Pryor, I'll put together a report on all of the Styleforum approved clothing options for you. I'm not an attorney, so I have the time. Expect the report soon, including a one page exec. summary. I won't cite references because I might want to watch TV later and that takes time.

Stay tuned.
Just wished it were true.

silvere2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
civil This post was pretty funny. Just wished it were true.
For someone who just graduated from law school, you sure don't seem very prepared to practice law. Maybe spending 5k on a suit is the least of your worries?

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
Richard Pryor, I'll put together a report on all of the Styleforum approved clothing options for you. I'm not an attorney, so I have the time. Expect the report soon, including a one page exec. summary. I won't cite references because I might want to watch TV later and that takes time.

Stay tuned.

Just wished it were true.

Ok, from the ground up. This is my complete knowledge of clothing as learned from STYLEFORUM.

Shoe protectors - TOPYS. You need them on all of yours shoes. They protect your leather shoes from salt and other corruption. They also reduce slippage and falling (see Gerald Ford).

Shoes - Allen Edmonds 2nds and Discounts. $129, or less if you are willing to drive to rural Wisconsin. Don't worry about sizing - get stretchers or tongue pads if they are too large.

Socks - NEVER match the pants

Pants - NEVER BLUE ODD PANTS. Office pants ideally

Underpants - We don't discuss this here

Undershirt - NEVER. Only required if you have a medical disorder. Normal men do not sweat into their dress shirts even in 98% humidity.

Suit - RLBL or email Jeff at Wizard of Aahs. His Baroni is HALF-CANVASSED and Jeff IS AN ABSOLUTE PLEASURE. My tailor said my Baroni is better than Brioni.

Dress shirts - Jantzen. Only takes 4-5 tries to get your sized ZEROED IN and the customer service is a pleasure to deal with.

Ties - Carlo Franco. The finest quality

Headwear - Fedora lounge

Bags - Dearskin

Pocket Square - Wang in your pocket or don't leave the house

You're welcome.
spam[1].gif

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by silvere2
For someone who just graduated from law school, you sure don't seem very prepared to practice law. Maybe spending 5k on a suit is the least of your worries?

Please elaborate.

silvere2

Reaction score
don't live in the States. Anything else?

So you're studying for the bar exam...in the US...but you don't know when it's administered? And you're planning on practicing law here? Who do you think is going to hire you? We have enough awful law schools in this country, with students that can't get jobs, and you think that law firms are going to hire graduates from international law schools? I don't know if you've done any research, but the legal industry in the US isn't exactly booming.

strungoutt1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
Pretty pointless, but you're wrong and the OP's right: a JD does make one a lawyer, just like an MD makes one a doc. It does indeed not mean one's licensed to practice law or medicine, but that's a different discussion. Stop being such a wannabe lawyer.

So wrong.

From the ABA if anyone is interested.

A "Lawyer" or "Attorney" (in America) is someone who has gone to law school, and then taken and passed the Bar Exam in at least one state, and then admitted to the bar.

http://www.abanet.org/yld/tyl/Jan03/Jan03.pdf

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by silvere2
So you're studying for the bar exam...in the US...but you don't know when it's administered? And you're planning on practicing law here? Who do you think is going to hire you? We have enough awful law schools in this country, with students that can't get jobs, and you think that law firms are going to hire graduates from international law schools? I don't know if you've done any research, but the legal industry in the US isn't exactly booming.

I'll answer your q's before going to bed, but I fear the thread will be locked tomorrow.

not in the US
I do know when it's administered in my country
don't plan on practicing law in the US
I do agree with your last couple of sentences, though.

God Bless you

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
Pocket Square - Wang in your pocket or don't leave the house

incorrect. approved SF doctrine is wang in someone else's pocket, and don't leave the house.

a large contingent practices the one-in-hand configuration, claiming it produces the best results.

there are numerous instructional videos on the web, in case you are interested.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by strungoutt1
So wrong.

From the ABA if anyone is interested.

A "Lawyer" or "Attorney" (in America) is someone who has gone to law school, and then taken and passed the Bar Exam in at least one state, and then admitted to the bar.

http://www.abanet.org/yld/tyl/Jan03/Jan03.pdf

What do you call those Californians who passed the bar and practice law without having attended law school?

faketrain

Reaction score
dropping $1k per suit when you don't know much about suits to begin with is probably a poor idea. why don't you start off with something that could be had at a much lower price point, say $500 or under, plenty of decent suits you can get off the rack and have tailored. gain some knowledge/understanding of your desired fit/style and then start to spend at the higher end.

so all of the sudden your taking the bar and gonna drop 5k on some suits? come on now... do you even have a job lined up? too many lawyers out there looking for jobs, law school nowadays is a glorified diploma mill btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics