• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spending $5k on suits

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor
chaisingred: thx for the advice and time. This board goes way off topic and threads in the 15 page range are not unusual. For someone like me (no time to waste at the moment) I can't afford it. I think I will take it slow and read a little once I'm done with the bar. Still, I feel this place is not the best to learn. Unless you got tons of time to waste. Search function is useless with so much information.

You must be using the search function poorly. I get everything I need from the search bars (try advanced searches, not Google searches).

Also, you can probably reduce the number of flames on this thread by not ******** on the place you're trying to get information from. Just a little common sense.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

You are mean!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

In that case, I recommand dropping those a few K on hookers before bespoke clothes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
One way that I save a a lot on the amount of time to read things here is to read only my own posts.

This cuts down on a bit over half of the posts here.

- B

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
lol. true. but I'm sure everybody's aware that threads here, on average, are huge! Like 2x as long as any other forum I've been to.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding suits: there is a local fashion designer who is a friend of my family (and mine). He has a lot of style and is famous in these neck of the woods. I thought that instead of me wasting my precious time reading about what makes a suit 'good', that I'd ask him to make me 4-5 suits. Is this a good idea?

This guy designs clothes for the rich and famous in my country. I think he's very stylish. But I'm not sure I should spend $5k at once without having a clue if I'll like the suits.

Whether this 'fashion designer' is able to produce suits which are suitable for a professional environment entirely depends on his abilities. Many fashion designers are barely more than doodlers, who make sketches that other people have to then produce. Even if he can actually make a suit, it is likely to be more 'fashion forward' than might be appropriate...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
One way that I save a a lot on the amount of time to read things here is to read only my own posts.

This cuts down on a bit over half of the posts here.

- B

Good advice.

- B

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
Oh, it's not about getting laid. It's about not having to spend money on a woman. That's the reason I mentioned no wife and no GF. But I guess I'll be made fun of no matter what I say from now on. Is it because I want to spend $5k on suits? Is it because I said I'm a lawyer when I'm not? Is it because I said the threads here are too long? Or are you guys just releasing your anger towards me so that you don't have to beat up your wife?

R-H

Reaction score
Richard Pryor, I'll put together a report on all of the Styleforum approved clothing options for you. I'm not an attorney, so I have the time. Expect the report soon, including a one page exec. summary. I won't cite references because I might want to watch TV later and that takes time.

Stay tuned.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
Richard Pryor, I'll put together a report on all of the Styleforum approved clothing options for you. I'm not an attorney, so I have the time. Expect the report soon, including a one page exec. summary. I won't cite references because I might want to watch TV later and that takes time.

Stay tuned.

Please do cite references and please use the Bluebook format.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh, it's not about getting laid. It's about not having to spend money on a woman. That's the reason I mentioned no wife and no GF. But I guess I'll be made fun of no matter what I say from now on. Is it because I want to spend $5k on suits? Is it because I said I'm a lawyer when I'm not? Is it because I said the threads here are too long? Or are you guys just releasing your anger towards me so that you don't have to beat up your wife?
You've gone to introspection in seven posts, which is a StyleForvm record for heterosexuals and celibates. For those who are neither, the record stands at an amazing three posts. - B

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strungoutt1
A Juris Doctor likewise does not make you a lawyer. He has a degree in law. He is not an attorney or a lawyer, or whatever you want to call it.

Pretty pointless, but you're wrong and the OP's right: a JD does make one a lawyer, just like an MD makes one a doc. It does indeed not mean one's licensed to practice law or medicine, but that's a different discussion. Stop being such a wannabe lawyer.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strungoutt1
Not at all. Most graduate from law schools around the age of 26-28. Just this year our school had its oldest graduate at 79. You have a Juris Doctor. That does not make you an attorney. Have to pass the bar exam.
this is so funny. find the fabric, have the tailor measure you, 4-16 weeks later you have something you like, but more importantly FITS. dont spend to much time looking at off the rack stuff unless you are semi-stupid (didnt get a scholarship) and have over 100K in loans. look, assuming you pass the bar you will be working 12-14 hours a day for at least two years. trust me, your suits (good or bad) will be the last of your worries? you doing defense or civil?

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
RP,

you're getting hazed. keep your cool and your sense of humor, and you might eventually see a glimmer of light.

short answer to your question -- bad idea. don't blow massive amounts of money if you don't have an informed point of view on what you want and what constitutes a good suit.

finally, don't expect a ton of goodwill if you open up with statements that you don't have the time to do your research. make an attempt at doing some legwork. failing that, ask nicely and dial down the sense of entitlement.

good luck.

R-H

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Please do cite references and please use the Bluebook format.

I prefer MLA format but it is really up to the OP. He is a lawyer after all, so his time is important.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads