• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spain/Croatia

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All,

I'll be taking a 16 day vacation at the end of August to Spain. While I have Madrid and Barcelona on my itinerary, I'm thinking of taking a detour from touring other parts of Spain and making a side trip to Croatia.

I plan on spending 8 nights in Madrid and Barcelona. I'll have about 8 days to travel Croatia or other parts of Spain. Any insight on this matter?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why Croatia? I haven't been, and there is nothing wrong with going there, but have you been to Spain before?

If you haven't, I'd spend 2 days in Cordoba and 2 days in Granada, etc. I have been to Spain twice and feel I have a lot more I need to cover.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely take the train out to Segovia for a day

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better go Croatia, Spain is too busy on August and you might be badly handled as a tourist at those massified places.

cookiemonster89

Reaction score
All,

I'll be taking a 16 day vacation at the end of August to Spain. While I have Madrid and Barcelona on my itinerary, I'm thinking of taking a detour from touring other parts of Spain and making a side trip to Croatia.

I plan on spending 8 nights in Madrid and Barcelona. I'll have about 8 days to travel Croatia or other parts of Spain. Any insight on this matter?
16 days in spain is too long. Croatia is a good option, although not sure if there's any direct flights to Dubrovnik or Split from Spain. Maybe consider closer places as well like France, Italy & Portugal

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16 days was the perfect amount of time. Spent time in Barcelona, Granada, seville, Malaga, and Madrid. The Andalusia region of Spain is severely underrated.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that you didn't bother with Croatia. Given the size of Spain, and the variety of the experiences, you would have missed out on a lot. Next time try San Sebastian, Pamplona, Salamanca, Santiago de Compostella and the Picos de Europa, and Segovia, as was mentioned. Whilst you're there drink locally made Vermut and, of course, lots of brandy.

I will definitely be going back to Spain to see more of the Andalusia region. I'm giving myself two years to learn Spanish and travel to other countries before returning. Also, going to start saving for an investment property on the coast!

stylish_raven

Reaction score
All,

I suggest you do some shopping tourism as well as gastronomic. In Madrid you will find a great Restaurant by the name of Casa Lucio. There you can enjoy some typical cuisine.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you do some shopping tourism as well as gastronomic. In Madrid you will find a great Restaurant by the name of Casa Lucio. There you can enjoy some typical cuisine.

You're a year too late. The highlights of my trip were Barcelona, Granada, Seville, and Malaga. Madrid was nothing spectacular.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a year too late. The highlights of my trip were Barcelona, Granada, Seville, and Malaga. Madrid was nothing spectacular.

Next time try Valencia as well, old times charm but a lot less touristy. I spend two weeks a year down the coast from there at javea.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time try Valencia as well, old times charm but a lot less touristy. I spend two weeks a year down the coast from there at javea.

Is Spain under rated or what? I will look into Javea next year.

How does spain compare to Italy?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Spain under rated or what? I will look into Javea next year.

How does spain compare to Italy?

Spain was a bit underrated, but it’s becoming a lot more popular. In terms of price, unless you go into Calabria, Spain is a bit cheaper than Italy overall. Seeing a lot more French summering the last few years, and less English as the pound is beginning to bite.

I like both as they have very differing cultures, and Spain really is different from the rest of Europe due to all the different influences over the centuries. Moorish, Roman, Reconquista, it’s all there. Spain is a bit rougher around the edges perhaps, but I like that personally.

At javea, go for the puerto and dine at one of the fish restaurants. It’s simple, fresh, and the view does it. Maybe have breakfast at the Arenal, different vibe but has that Nice beach feel without the 10€ coffee.

FPB

Reaction score
I'm going to Spain next month - Barcelona, Sevilla, Granada. Any made-in-Spain menswear to look for? Or any men's stores worth going to?

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you Spain venturers, no Spain trip is completely without visiting the Basque region. Go to San Sebastian for a few days - best food in all of Europe/world in a concetrated area. Fantastic food, price is good (unless you go 3 star michelin) and beautiful coastline.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Spain also has that wonderful non-lucrative visa. For 2019 if a couple can prove they have 50k USD they can move there for a year. Can renew for two years x 2 then apply for permanent residence. Cannot work and need private insurance for those five years, but once you're permanent, can work and go on the dole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads