1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Source for non-pointy-toed shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by markr, Jul 11, 2004.

1. markr

markr Senior Member

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a source for good quality (and hopefully, reasonably priced&#33[​IMG] shoes that are a little more contemporary/less formal than what one might find at Allen Edmonds or Edward Green or some of the other shoemakers that are often mentioned on this site. I'm not a fan of the traditional, pointy-toed look. That said, I'm also not a fan of the clunky square-toed style that was popular a few years ago (and maybe still is for all I know). What I'm looking for is a relatively traditional shoe but with a more rounded toe. I should point out that my office is business casual, so I'm often wearing flat front, non-cuffed pants that I don't think look good with an overly formal shoe (and by the way, tassled loafers are not what I have in mind when I say that I'm looking for something less formal). I've seen something similar to what I'm talking about at Kenneth Cole, but they didn't seem to be very good quality. Any recommendations?

2. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

Do

3. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

4. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

You should check out RIDER's (a very informed member and store owner) website at:FRANCO's Fine CLothiers What about the higher end Santoni shoes? Â They shoudl be cheaper that Edward Greens, such as: [​IMG] or [​IMG] What about Barrett: [​IMG] or [​IMG] And Borgioli Frattelli for a bit more "funk": [​IMG]

5. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

Do Borgioli make a quality shoe, or are they more a trendy brand? There are a few models on RIDER's site that appeal...

6. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

They rule. Surely as good as Santoni and Edward Green. Why so well priced? Markr: you would be crazy to pass up such brilliant shoes at these excellent prices. Excellent value for money.

7. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

A couple of other suggestions: Gravati (available at Franco's and Harold's in the Heights online) and Vass. The former will run between $400 and $450 retail for calfskin, the latter are considerably more expensive (but worth it).

8. RIDER

RIDER Distinguished Member

the Barrett guy has called twice in the last couple of weeks - if you guys keep posting pictures of shoes THAT beatiful, I'm going to have to open an account with them, even though they are very expensive. Actually, I think I'm good with R.Martegani, but I am thinking about it....

NickM - Borgioli makes very good to excellent shoes. I have both. The Norwiegans and Goodyears are excellent, the Blake good, IMO. Priced accordingly. The Norwiegans are sold out at the moment, more expected in August.

Mark37 - sorry dude, you can keep the baby blue shoes.

9. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

Originally Posted by T4phage,12 July 2004, 02:15
    And Borgioli Frattelli for a bit more "funk":
    Do Borgioli make a quality shoe, or are they more a trendy brand? There are a few models on RIDER's site that appeal...
    I second RIDER's comment that Borgioli makes some fine shoes. Originally posted by marc37:
    marc37: have you actually seen these shoes in person? How can you say that they are "surely as good....". No, they are not as well made as the high end Santoni's nor Greens, the leathers are not as nice, and overall finishing is less.

10. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

l lay corrected T4phage. Thanx for the info.