• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source for non-pointy-toed shoes

markr

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a source for good quality (and hopefully, reasonably priced&#33
wink.gif
shoes that are a little more contemporary/less formal than what one might find at Allen Edmonds or Edward Green or some of the other shoemakers that are often mentioned on this site. I'm not a fan of the traditional, pointy-toed look. That said, I'm also not a fan of the clunky square-toed style that was popular a few years ago (and maybe still is for all I know). What I'm looking for is a relatively traditional shoe but with a more rounded toe. I should point out that my office is business casual, so I'm often wearing flat front, non-cuffed pants that I don't think look good with an overly formal shoe (and by the way, tassled loafers are not what I have in mind when I say that I'm looking for something less formal). I've seen something similar to what I'm talking about at Kenneth Cole, but they didn't seem to be very good quality. Any recommendations?

marc37

Reaction score
Do

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a source for good quality (and hopefully, reasonably priced&#33
wink.gif
shoes that are a little more contemporary/less formal than what one might find at Allen Edmonds or Edward Green or some of the other shoemakers that are often mentioned on this site. Â I'm not a fan of the traditional, pointy-toed look. Â That said, I'm also not a fan of the clunky square-toed style that was popular a few years ago (and maybe still is for all I know). Â What I'm looking for is a relatively traditional shoe but with a more rounded toe. Â I should point out that my office is business casual, so I'm often wearing flat front, non-cuffed pants that I don't think look good with an overly formal shoe (and by the way, tassled loafers are not what I have in mind when I say that I'm looking for something less formal). Â I've seen something similar to what I'm talking about at Kenneth Cole, but they didn't seem to be very good quality. Â Any recommendations?
You should check out RIDER's (a very informed member and store owner) website at:FRANCO's Fine CLothiers What about the higher end Santoni shoes? Â They shoudl be cheaper that Edward Greens, such as:
hm_6182_lg.gif
or
classic_alfred_f_lg.gif
What about Barrett:
111016.jpg
or
321007.jpg
And Borgioli Frattelli for a bit more "funk":
foto_medium_26.jpg

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do Borgioli make a quality shoe, or are they more a trendy brand? There are a few models on RIDER's site that appeal...

marc37

Reaction score
foto_medium_26.jpg
They rule. Surely as good as Santoni and Edward Green. Why so well priced? Markr: you would be crazy to pass up such brilliant shoes at these excellent prices. Excellent value for money.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A couple of other suggestions: Gravati (available at Franco's and Harold's in the Heights online) and Vass. The former will run between $400 and $450 retail for calfskin, the latter are considerably more expensive (but worth it).

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Barrett guy has called twice in the last couple of weeks - if you guys keep posting pictures of shoes THAT beatiful, I'm going to have to open an account with them, even though they are very expensive. Actually, I think I'm good with R.Martegani, but I am thinking about it....

NickM - Borgioli makes very good to excellent shoes. I have both. The Norwiegans and Goodyears are excellent, the Blake good, IMO. Priced accordingly. The Norwiegans are sold out at the moment, more expected in August.

Mark37 - sorry dude, you can keep the baby blue shoes.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage,12 July 2004, 02:15
Do Borgioli make a quality shoe, or are they more a trendy brand? There are a few models on RIDER's site that appeal...
I second RIDER's comment that Borgioli makes some fine shoes. Originally posted by marc37:
They rule. Surely as good as Santoni and Edward Green. Why so well priced? Markr: you would be crazy to pass up such brilliant shoes at these excellent prices. Excellent value for money.
marc37: have you actually seen these shoes in person? How can you say that they are "surely as good....". No, they are not as well made as the high end Santoni's nor Greens, the leathers are not as nice, and overall finishing is less.

marc37

Reaction score
l lay corrected T4phage. Thanx for the info.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads