• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somebody called me "renaissance" this weekend.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
in NYC, I don't think an actual butcher (lots of butchering facilities are up in the Bronx with distribution down to Manhattan) would ever look at a hipster and think "I know he's got what it takes".

Unless you own a shop in Williamsburg, and you have a solid business eye, and realize you need a queen at the register in order to sell more meat to these fairies.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a butcher shop in Harlem staffed with porkpie wearing mustachioed hipsters.

It's my little slice of SanFo.

lefty

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Did said hipster offer to tell you the name of the chicken and her life story?

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to get into the industry for 6-8 weeks and then maybe they'll tell you what renaissance means (or maybe it will come to you.)

I do wonder if the $7500 includes a tattoo or three.

Our butchery apprentice program is as much a one on one program as a working butcher shop will allow. You get solid one on one lesson time with Erika and then you are allowed to use that knowledge to help cut meat for our cases (working with our other employees who are also always happy to guide you as well). This gives you the opportunity to use the knowledge you have learned immediately within a fast-paced, supportive environment. You “practice” on lamb, pork, chicken and beef that we have procured for our retail store and our clients and by the time you are finished with the 6-8 week program you will be able to cut down whole animals into larger quarters and more case-ready/restaurant-ready portions. We will never allow anyone to “graduate” from our program that does not feel confident in their skills. If it takes a bit longer or you need more hands on direction that will be provided for until you can confidently call yourself a butcher. The cost of the program is $7,500.
http://lindyandgrundy.com/2012/01/apprentice-program/

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, it is a paid internship just from the wrong end. Interesting.

I've only been in there once, and I had a run-in with one of the proprietresses. I found her to be singularly vile. No idea if she was Lindy or Grundy.

I was trying to pick up eggs on my way to Palm Springs, and all of their eggs were marked "small." I asked this woman if they had eggs in sizes other than small, and she, in a very huffy voice told me that they were farm eggs, as though that was a size. When I asked whether they happened to have large farm eggs she told me farm eggs were not sized, and that she picked them up at the farmers market once a week. I then asked if I could go through some of the boxes and cobble together a dozen eggs of similar size so that they would cook similarly and once again she told me no, they were farm eggs and they have no sizes and maybe I was used to mass produced eggs. At that point I left.

They seem to have nice meat but their butchers all walk around in some odd self-satisfied way with ******* bandoliers of knives strapped to them. On the upside, it kind of felt like home, except at home our farm eggs indeed to have sizes because somebody is willing to pick through them.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lived near it for like 2 months. I looked through the door a few times, but couldn't muster the courage to go inside. Good to know that I was right.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I then asked if I could go through some of the boxes and cobble together a dozen eggs of similar size so that they would cook similarly...

This is so renaissance.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright, Matt, which one of the bull dykes was it?

You should have told her that you need the eggs for some eating at the highest level and then, and only then, would she understand and let you do your picking.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A bandolier? Seriously?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads