1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Solito Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jun 14, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

So I should always wear an undershirt with my broadcloth shirts and fresco blazers at social events? Otherwise could my nipples show up in flash photogrpahy?

2. srivats

srivats Senior member

They are higher than he would normally make but not SR high. Yes, pleated.

This is one aspect of the ambrosi trousers that I don't like. I remember your Ercoles off-white flannel with the high waist and I thought that looked wonderful on you.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

This can be a problem and yes it's sort of annoying. Worse than sleeve lining, IMO, is canvas. Dark grays and blues should have a black canvas. White canvas shows through and makes the coats look shimmery.
    This is a reason why a dark fresco is not the ideal evening fabric unless fully lined in a matching Bemberg or ermazine. It, uhm, is not friendly to flash photography at social events. The eye might miss it the X-ray effect, but a photograph does not.

I'm not sure that there is much point to a fully lined fresco unless you get a jet black version for a summer dinner suit and want a bit of a contrariness in the hand and sheen of the fabric.

My fresco summer suits are quarter lined, with unlined sleeves--could not possibly care less if sometimes under some lighting some of my shirt pattern might show through.

Very enlightening, thanks.

5. voxsartoria

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, as you get older and if there are photographers about in the evening where you are, you might not care less...but it is a nice gesture to your wife not to be too visually controversial in a photograph taken together with her.

I can't imagine that we'll ever be subject to regular bouts of flash photography.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here is the Minnis fresco, reasonably color-true.

[​IMG]

8. Manton

Well, as you get older and if there are photographers about in the evening where you are, you might not care less...but it is a nice gesture to your wife not to be too visually controversial in a photograph taken together with her.

Just sayin'. There are some secrets to staying together a long time...this might not be the most important, but I would keep it on the list.

- B

I don't know why you are worried about nips, the canvas--whether black or white--should obscure those, no?

9. forex

forex Senior member

[​IMG]

Is this from the new batch? Looks different from a closer shot,seems like the buttoning point on this one is lower.

10. voxsartoria

11. voxsartoria

12. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

I didn't bring up nips. [​IMG] I am happy to discuss nips as long as it's not that third one on the WASP 101 dude.

- B

Siggin' this.

13. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

Although I, like Will, miss the t-shirt, that looks great.

- B

+1

14. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Close inspection of the ^ confirms that Ms Hathway's nipples are not showing thru Mantons suitings.
    Thanks
    Fred

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

[​IMG]

That's very nice indeed.

16. voxsartoria

17. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

[​IMG]
    That Solito, he's a true artist. His SBs on you are as great as that DB by the obscure British tailor you once showed, especially the sleeves. Just curious, how wide is that breast welt? 1.25 inches? 1.5? It's the only thing that [just my opinion OK?] distracts from the great shaping, proportioning, and unobtrusively and coherently made coat. It is as if Signore Solito expects you to to have flowing and flaring pocket pouffs rather than polite folds. - M

18. Manton

19. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

The new Solito stuff looks wonderful, Manton. Thanks for posting it. I really like that combo above too. FWIW, here's a pic of a fresco suit w/ off-white sleeve lining shimmering through. A darker lining would have been better: [​IMG]

20. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

It is a great suit very nice