• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Futbol • Calcio 2011/2012

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta love some of the Barca arguments here :rotflmao:

Yes they are a great side, with no alternative way of playing and a well dodgy back four and goalie.
Changing the defence a bit makes bugger all difference once they are in the final third of the oppositions turf.

Compare and contrast with any premiership team on a good day, where there is variety of player and playing style according to the circumstances.
Look at Chelsea when JM first took over. 0-0 at half time? OK, change tactics, make some subs. Win three or four nil. Opposition putting five across the middle of the park as a spoiler? OK, put a big man up front and hoof it to him. Not pretty, but it gets goals. Objective achieved.

The reason Barca have been so successful is because other sides don't want to bite the bullet and do what is necessary to win the game. Ego and pride takes over, they push forward, leave gaps and get hammered when they lose possession (which is the bit Barca are really good at). Plus all the fans and critics moan if you don't take them on, so peer pressure loses you the game.

There was a reason JM went all those years across several clubs undefeated at home, solid defence as a cornerstone principle. Not the most attractive footy to watch though which is why I don't think Utd will go after him when SAF retires.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gotta love some of the Barca arguments here :rotflmao:
Yes they are a great side, with no alternative way of playing and a well dodgy back four and goalie.
Changing the defence a bit makes bugger all difference once they are in the final third of the oppositions turf.
Compare and contrast with any premiership team on a good day, where there is variety of player and playing style according to the circumstances.
Look at Chelsea when JM first took over. 0-0 at half time? OK, change tactics, make some subs. Win three or four nil. Opposition putting five across the middle of the park as a spoiler? OK, put a big man up front and hoof it to him. Not pretty, but it gets goals. Objective achieved.
The reason Barca have been so successful is because other sides don't want to bite the bullet and do what is necessary to win the game. Ego and pride takes over, they push forward, leave gaps and get hammered when they lose possession (which is the bit Barca are really good at). Plus all the fans and critics moan if you don't take them on, so peer pressure loses you the game.
There was a reason JM went all those years across several clubs undefeated at home, solid defence as a cornerstone principle. Not the most attractive footy to watch though which is why I don't think Utd will go after him when SAF retires.

Do they though? Playing attacking football leaves the defence exposed, which makes them vulnerable to more attacks. You could put the AC Milan defence of the early 90s there but if they had no cover or help they'd look weak.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the main reason why I hate Barcelona fans. They act like the only way to play is their way and if you don't play tiki taka style then it's not true football.
YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!! The best way to play football is the way that suits your team best to get a result.

Too many people think that the job of a neutral club's manager is to entertain them. It isn't.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Terry absolutely deserved the red card. The real question is how can anyone justify the fact that Lampard didn't get a red card? This is a very poor Chelsea team that really didn't deserve the win. Barca was very unlucky -- which is part of football. Who will be playing for Chelsea in the final - the U21s?

They did deserve the win, they stopped Barcelona completely with ten men. Very impressive.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just seen a classic gag.

JT getting sent off was a deliberate ploy to get the Barca players worried that he might be trying to shag their wives/girlfriends ...with him being suspended for the final it will be even worse for the opposition players...:lol:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think what Terry did was necessarily worthy of a red card as it wasn't dangerous, just dumb, deliberate and cynical. The ref was within his rights to give the red card though, and Terry has no one to blame but himself for it.
Seriously? They beat Barcelona 1-0 at home then draw 2-2 at Camp Nou after going down to 10 men for 60 minutes, with no central defenders on the pitch. What did they have to do to "deserve the win?"

Luck is huge part of football and this statement ^^ improprely discounts the effect of luck. Chelsea were lucky - go watch the game again if you don't believe it-but that is a part of the game. That said, Terry and Lampard are the poor side of English football (I am a huge fan of the English game). It would be one thing if Terry lashed out, in the heat of the moment, against a player who fouled him, but, no, that isn't what he did at all. He sneaked up behind a player and kneed him in the back. If that isn't a red card than they are playing with the wrong ball. Terry's move shows he is a coward. Thankfully it was seen.

Last edited:

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Luck is huge part of football and this statement ^^ improprely discounts the effect of luck. Chelsea were lucky - go watch the game again if you don't believe it-but that is a part of the game. That said, Terry and Lampard are the poor side of English football (I am a huge fan of the English game). It would be one thing if Terry lashed out, in the heat of the moment, against a player who fouled him, but, no, that isn't what he did at all. He sneaked up behind a player and kneed him in the back. If that isn't a red card than they are playing with the wrong ball. Terry's move shows he is a coward. Thankfully it was seen.

Hmmm, the problem with this theory is that if you look at the results over the years between the two teams, then it is pretty even. That's tactics. Luck plays a part in all of life, but it's very easy to over quantify it.
Has Warren Buffett just been lucky for fifty years or is he actually a smart mofo who minimises his downside risk?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah just dont understand this stuff about 'chelsea didn't deserve to win'. they are very very good at getting 8 or 9 men back behind the ball when they need to, and also efficient at hitting on the counter. with the penalty area that congested, even barca couldn't find a way through, and it exposed their lack of a plan B- they don't shoot from distance, and would often play it wide, as if guys like ivanovic couldn't cut out crosses all day. Ibrahimovic was supposed to be big man who could give them another option, but he didn't work out.
it reminded me very much of the formula that pre- AVB chelsea always used to beat Arsenal in the premiership, and i think that was one of the reasons wenger started to look for bigger more physical strikers.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Terry just heard that the team wives were doing a tour of the locker rooms right before halftime and he didn't want to miss the opportunity to meet them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think Bayern can pull it off.

chances aren't bad.

quaxiundderhomo.jpg

they did some shoe shopping...

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Terry just heard that the team wives were doing a tour of the locker rooms right before halftime and he didn't want to miss the opportunity to meet them.

he did risk the life of his twins. his boss is a godfather.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ankit_10