• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So just how long does indigo keep getting on my clothes/furniture/etc?

jmatt

Reaction score
Took the plunge. Bought the 1947 Levi 501xx. I blame the Streetwear and Denim forum!!
smile.gif

I soaked them in hot water for about 45 minutes, drained the water, squeezed the excess out, then put them on. I wore them just briefly, then hung them to dry. I used a hairdryer to speed the drying process without losing indigo by dryind in a tumble dryer.

I obviously got indigo EVERYWHERE during this process. Fortunately, because of this forum, I was prepared.

Now - assuming I don't wash these again for a good long time, how long will indigo keep getting on my shirts from the jeans? I don't mind getting it on a cheap t-shirt or sweatshirt that I just throw in the wash, but I'd hate to put on a $1000 cashmere sweater......

(By the way - thanks for everyone's indulgence. I know I've been annoying with the questions. You wouldn't believe how many threads I've actually read.)

Reaction score
don't have experience with your jeans (!), but crocking slows down after a wash. 3 months seems to mark a steep decrease in crocking, for me anyway.

i've found that butter seems to activate crocking; don't butter your jeans and sit on a white couch.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think after three months the crocking will be more evident, no? (I thought crocking refers to the fading for ATARI, WHISKER, HONEYCOMB, etc) I've never had any indigo bleed onto my shirts or on my couch. Just my shoes. I think it depends on the particular pair of jeans, and the climate you live in (denim tends to bleed less in a dry climate). I'd give them about two or three months before you started relying on them for a full-days wear with nice clothing. You can go out for a few hours wearing a nice cashmere sweater and unless you get rained on you can be sure that it won't transfer any color. Oh, and let us know what you think of the fit.

Reaction score
Definition: Occurs when excess dye rubs off of one dry fabric onto another dry fabric. Crocking is usually more of a problem with dark and vivid colors.
teacha.gif

andewhall

Reaction score
I remember when I was about 10, our grandma wouldn't let us sit on her new creme velour couch because our Jeans would be smurfing her lovely prized posession. We sat on towels.

nomovement

Reaction score
ps=andewhall makes some really cool denim.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Definition: Occurs when excess dye rubs off of one dry fabric onto another dry fabric. Crocking is usually more of a problem with dark and vivid colors.
teacha.gif

Thanks teach!
fing02[1].gif

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its only happened with shoes for me too, weird. I guess it just depends on the denim.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you dont get the denim wet, it should be very minimal. if your jeans are wet, look out. when my canes were new i sat down on my bed after skating in them for a few hours, and when i got up i had an indigo ass print on my white sheets. be warned.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never had denim bleeding into sweaters while in the dry state. I have a pair of 47 LVC too and while it bled on my shoes, it didn't on shirts or sweaters. I wear white button down shirts with it too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads