• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, it looks like I actually have 5.3% body fat…

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Very interesting link, thanks. I use one of those fancy electronic scales to track my BF and it is obviously not very accurate. My reading goes anywhere from 14.5 to 18% (there is also an "athletic" setting which lowers the number). Judging from the pictures and what I look like, it's probably more 12-15%.

I have a tanita scale and an omron hand held monitor. Both are fairly consistent as long as I measure at the same time of day. Accuracy is another matter - the tanita has me at something around 12% (actually a bit high at 12.8% this morning). That's on regular mode; athlete mode comes in around 6%. The Omron, on the other hand, gave me an error this morning. According to the manual, the error means that the reading is "outside the range" of 4-50%. I did finally get it to measure 4.0%. Note - there's no way I have 4% body fat. I'm probably around 10-12%.

Interesting to note is that quite often when my reading drops on one it rises on the other.....

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Interesting photo. Maybe it's the light but I would estimate that higher because of the lack of separation in his legs. He almost has classic female fat distribution rather than male.

lefty

What's that? I mean, I know what it is, but where does the fat distribute on him that's more like a woman's than a man's? Hips/chest?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What's that? I mean, I know what it is, but where does the fat distribute on him that's more like a woman's than a man's? Hips/chest?

Men carry fat on their lower abs and lower back. It is, for the most part, the last fat to go and commonly referred to these days as "stubborn fat." You can have cut legs, shoulders, arms, upper back and upper abs, yet still have a ring of fat around those areas.

Women carry fat on their hips and upper legs. It's not unusual to see a woman that cut in her upper body, but still smooth in her legs and hips.

The guy has very smooth legs, which is unusual considering his low BF. Again, that could easily be a trick of the light.

lefty

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the tone of the OP. On a similar note, I really want to run a marathon but have way too much fast-twitch muscle to do so. Can anyone suggest any exercises to make me look less like Donovan Bailey?

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is the best way to measure body fat then?

thanks for the body fat link, lefty.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I love the tone of the OP. On a similar note, I really want to run a marathon but have way too much fast-twitch muscle to do so. Can anyone suggest any exercises to make me look less like Donovan Bailey?

Yeah, somewhat related, I'd like to really drive this one woman WILD, but I sleep with four or five women a day--they just throw themselves at me in the street--and she's always the last one. Honestly, at that point I'm just sort of tired of it, and going through the motions. Can anyone tell me how I can be less of a chick magnet?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Yeah, somewhat related, I'd like to really drive this one woman WILD, but I sleep with four or five women a day--they just throw themselves at me in the street--and she's always the last one. Honestly, at that point I'm just sort of tired of it, and going through the motions. Can anyone tell me how I can be less of a chick magnet?

The reason for my post was that 5.3% is hardly a healthy body fat, which is why I wanted to know (assuming that the reading was correct) how to increase that number.

But since so many people just assumed so many details instead of simply asking for clarification, I felt it wasn't worth arguing about.

Jon.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The reason for my post was that 5.3% is hardly a healthy body fat, which is why I wanted to know (assuming that the reading was correct) how to increase that number.

Jon.

It's probably not healthy for me to ******** with four or five different women a day, either. I know where you're coming from!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It's probably not healthy for me to ******** with four or five different women a day, either. I know where you're coming from!

crackup[1].gif
I love it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
crackup[1].gif
I love it.

+1
laugh.gif

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
(assuming that the reading was correct)
You said yourself it probably wasn't, and one of the first responses to your post proved it wasn't possible. At that point you started arguing and nitpicking instead of accepting that obvious conclusion. Again: 5% is a fitness-competition level. Professional competitors can maintain it for maybe a few days. No way it can be your normal level.

(and no, this has nothing to do with how thin you are and only marginally with your metabolism even if it is, as you claim in that wonderful tone of yours "that of superman")

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I can be less of a chick magnet?

Slouch your denim a little more, Sauce. That'll drive them away.

lefty

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I can be less of a chick magnet?

Originally Posted by lefty
Slouch your denim a little more, Sauce. That'll drive them away.

lefty

Depends. For all we know, the Sauce's taste for women might tend toward this:

mom2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics